1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by levaix, May 28, 2015.
First

Back
128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137
139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148
Next

Last
  1. Pharmaboy
    "and the fairly weighty headphones nearly disappear" -- exactly!

not only is the Pilot Pad comfortable, but it's really good looking. The Omni/Ori already looks amazing IMO, w/handsome lines, beautiful wood, etc. The pad just adds to that...

2. LoryWiv
    The clamping force on my Ori seems to have loosened a bit over tiem. Any straightforward way to restore the fit to be a bit more "snug" and secure?

3. DancingShade
    Absolutely! Zach has a great tutorial video on the topic:

I've used the above to modify the clamp on my Vibros (same headband as your Ori) and it works great.

4. LoryWiv
    Thank you DancingShade. I 'll give it a try when I return home!

5. Burt Macklin
    After some quite intense waiting (horrible delay - instead of 3-4 days, the delivery took almost a month, with absolutely nobody having any clue where the shipment is .. just brilliant, almost lost all hope),
    I finally got my Ori - and oh boy, are they beautiful :)
    Haven't yet had the time to listen to them properly, but the first impression is:
    great sound, and the headphones are quite light (they sure look much heavier) and comfortable.

Another pleasant surprise is that they work nice with Fulla 2.
    I'm planning to upgrade sometime later, but this will do for now.

Nick-s-f and Arcamera like this.
  6. whirlwind

congrats....lets see a pic of those beauties.

7. Pharmaboy
    Nobody likes waiting for an Ori! Glad to hear yours arrived in good shape (& sound).

I'm not used to seeing the Ori described as "quite light" -- though the balance & comfort is so good the weight is not obvious at all. BTW, if you don't already have a Pilot Pad, try that...most comfortable thing I ever had on my head. Had my Ori shipped w/it on.

(love the sound of this headphone!)

Burt Macklin likes this.
  8. whirlwind
    I love the pilot pad too.

The headphone is heavy...but it is comfotable

9. Burt Macklin
    I meant light considering what I expected (they sure aren't the lightest); you put it better, weight is not obvious.
    Pilot pad came with them, so there's that :)

I'll take some pics a bit later, no problem.

10. Burt Macklin
    Holiday rush, completely forgot about this :)

Here they are, Black Limba with Fulla 2:

[​IMG]

A couple more pics.
    (not the greatest quality, phone camera)

I've been slowly going through this thread, many posts to read so I'm not sure yet
    (already asked about it elsewhere on the forums) - what would be a good
    not too expensive upgrade to Fulla 2,
    in regards to Ori (and possible future headphones)?

I'm thinking Schiit Modi/Magni stack, Jotunheim or JDS Labs Element
    (another member recommended it, and it seems very nice).
    Maybe Valhalla 2, even (I'd then use Fulla as DAC .. but not sure if I want tubes or not).

Ahh, so many choices, my head is spinning.

Arcamera likes this.
  11. Pharmaboy
    VERY nice! I didn't even know you could get black limba anymore...you're lucky.

JDS Element is a DAC/amp Zach specifically tested the Omni/Ori with at some point & may have recommended for these headphones (remembering posts from a couple years ago). If I'm wrong about this, apologies to everyone.

If you're willing to step up the $500 level, there the Grace Designs M900 DAC/Amp (aka Massdrop M9XX). Many people praise this one (see "REVIEWS" linked from website below:
    "http://www.gracedesign.com/products/m900/m900.html"

There are also several "future" things coming along at some point from Massdrop:
    • Massdrop LD-X: This is the Massdrop-manufactured, relicensed version of the amazing Cavalli Liquid Carbon (I own v2 of that & can attest how good it is on my Ori). No one has heard the LD-X yet, but it's the same circuit as the LC, albeit in a slightly larger case, so should sound identical. Drop is currently inactive, but I'd bet the ranch it becomes active again in 1st quarter. Can't remember price...$300-$350, somewhere there.
    • Another inactive drop--this one is an inexpensive but well reviewed DAC by Grace Designs (it's under $100), the SDAC. Pretty sure that will drop again in next 3-6 months...
    • And a rumored combination of the LD-X + Grace Designs SDAC (that would be a terrific product ~$500)

Burt Macklin likes this.
  12. mysticstryk
    Valhalla 2 would not be a good amp for your Ori. The Valhalla 2 is meant for high impedance dynamics, not hard to drive planars. You would be much better off with a Magni 3 or Jot.

A Modi 2/Magni 3 stack at $198 is an excellent bargain in audio. The Magni 3 will even scale a bit with a better dac like the Modi Multibit. You could even use the dac in your Fulla 2 and connect to to a Magni 3 and save even more money. The Fulla 2 dac portion is close to the Modi 2 in performance.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    Burt Macklin likes this.
  13. Burt Macklin
    Got them used from a member here :)

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
    I'll look more into Element and Schiit stack, I think.

14. George Taylor
    I'm generally not one to knock things just for the sake of doing so. However, I'm bored and this thread needs a kick in the rumpus. I generally subscribe to all threads here about things I own. I'm on the Nighthawks thread, and saw someone wondering/complaining about the sound of them, wondering about burn in and such. Dire Straights was brought up. I had my Nighthawks already hooked up so started playing them & listening. Sounded fine to me, but after a while I switched to other classic rock bands. Worked my way to Genesis, and man, some of their stuff didn't sound good at all. Thought to myself, wonder if this sounds any better on the Ori's. Yeah, just a little. Much better, enough so that it settled another internal argument in my head about which cans to sell after we move. Fly away little Hawks. I'll be keeping these wooden beauties instead.

mysticstryk, Pharmaboy and mwhals like this.
  15. Pharmaboy
    Sometimes I return to my Ori from other headphones with relief--again hearing that familiar deep, impactful bass, musical/euphonic sound signature, and calm (but also explosive) planar sound quality. These headphones are physically beautiful (ormosia henryi) & w/the Pilot Pad, are incredibly comfortable.

I've had not 1 second of regret since getting the Ori. It + my Fidelio X2s are permanent touchstones of my headphone collection (such as it is!).

George Taylor likes this.
First

Back
128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137
139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148
Next

Last