ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Oct 4, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #2,056 of 2,544
@Pharmaboy @Nick-s-f Both the pad and the Monoprice Monolith M300 arrived, and comfort-wise they're pretty much at opposite ends of the spectrum. If the iSine is as uncomfortable as the M300, I imagine I would have returned or sold it off by now. After getting through most of an album with them and giving up for now, I put on the Ori with it's new pad, and the fairly weighty headphones nearly disappear. This is so much better in every respect.

"and the fairly weighty headphones nearly disappear" -- exactly!

not only is the Pilot Pad comfortable, but it's really good looking. The Omni/Ori already looks amazing IMO, w/handsome lines, beautiful wood, etc. The pad just adds to that...

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #2,057 of 2,544
The clamping force on my Ori seems to have loosened a bit over tiem. Any straightforward way to restore the fit to be a bit more "snug" and secure?

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #2,059 of 2,544
Thank you DancingShade. I 'll give it a try when I return home!

Dec 18, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #2,060 of 2,544
After some quite intense waiting (horrible delay - instead of 3-4 days, the delivery took almost a month, with absolutely nobody having any clue where the shipment is .. just brilliant, almost lost all hope),
I finally got my Ori - and oh boy, are they beautiful :)
Haven't yet had the time to listen to them properly, but the first impression is:
great sound, and the headphones are quite light (they sure look much heavier) and comfortable.

Another pleasant surprise is that they work nice with Fulla 2.
I'm planning to upgrade sometime later, but this will do for now.

Dec 18, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #2,061 of 2,544
After some quite intense waiting (horrible delay - instead of 3-4 days, the delivery took almost a month, with absolutely nobody having any clue where the shipment is .. just brilliant, almost lost all hope),
Haven't yet had the time to listen to them properly, but the first impression is:
great sound, and the headphones are quite light (they sure look much heavier) and comfortable.

congrats....lets see a pic of those beauties.

Dec 18, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #2,062 of 2,544

Nobody likes waiting for an Ori! Glad to hear yours arrived in good shape (& sound).

I'm not used to seeing the Ori described as "quite light" -- though the balance & comfort is so good the weight is not obvious at all. BTW, if you don't already have a Pilot Pad, try that...most comfortable thing I ever had on my head. Had my Ori shipped w/it on.

(love the sound of this headphone!)

Dec 18, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #2,063 of 2,544
I love the pilot pad too.

The headphone is heavy...but it is comfotable

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #2,064 of 2,544
I'm not used to seeing the Ori described as "quite light" -- though the balance & comfort is so good the weight is not obvious at all. BTW, if you don't already have a Pilot Pad, try that...most comfortable thing I ever had on my head. Had my Ori shipped w/it on.

I meant light considering what I expected (they sure aren't the lightest); you put it better, weight is not obvious.
Pilot pad came with them, so there's that :)

I'll take some pics a bit later, no problem.

Dec 26, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #2,065 of 2,544
Holiday rush, completely forgot about this :)

Here they are, Black Limba with Fulla 2:

gHj4Uen.jpg

A couple more pics.
(not the greatest quality, phone camera)

I've been slowly going through this thread, many posts to read so I'm not sure yet
(already asked about it elsewhere on the forums) - what would be a good
not too expensive upgrade to Fulla 2,
in regards to Ori (and possible future headphones)?

I'm thinking Schiit Modi/Magni stack, Jotunheim or JDS Labs Element
(another member recommended it, and it seems very nice).
Maybe Valhalla 2, even (I'd then use Fulla as DAC .. but not sure if I want tubes or not).

Ahh, so many choices, my head is spinning.

Dec 26, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #2,066 of 2,544

gHj4Uen.jpg

A couple more pics.

I've been slowly going through this thread, many posts to read so I'm not sure yet

Maybe Valhalla 2, even (I'd then use Fulla as DAC .. but not sure if I want tubes or not).

VERY nice! I didn't even know you could get black limba anymore...you're lucky.

JDS Element is a DAC/amp Zach specifically tested the Omni/Ori with at some point & may have recommended for these headphones (remembering posts from a couple years ago). If I'm wrong about this, apologies to everyone.

If you're willing to step up the $500 level, there the Grace Designs M900 DAC/Amp (aka Massdrop M9XX). Many people praise this one (see "REVIEWS" linked from website below:
"http://www.gracedesign.com/products/m900/m900.html"

There are also several "future" things coming along at some point from Massdrop:
  • Massdrop LD-X: This is the Massdrop-manufactured, relicensed version of the amazing Cavalli Liquid Carbon (I own v2 of that & can attest how good it is on my Ori). No one has heard the LD-X yet, but it's the same circuit as the LC, albeit in a slightly larger case, so should sound identical. Drop is currently inactive, but I'd bet the ranch it becomes active again in 1st quarter. Can't remember price...$300-$350, somewhere there.
  • Another inactive drop--this one is an inexpensive but well reviewed DAC by Grace Designs (it's under $100), the SDAC. Pretty sure that will drop again in next 3-6 months...
  • And a rumored combination of the LD-X + Grace Designs SDAC (that would be a terrific product ~$500)

Dec 26, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #2,067 of 2,544

gHj4Uen.jpg

A couple more pics.

Valhalla 2 would not be a good amp for your Ori. The Valhalla 2 is meant for high impedance dynamics, not hard to drive planars. You would be much better off with a Magni 3 or Jot.

A Modi 2/Magni 3 stack at $198 is an excellent bargain in audio. The Magni 3 will even scale a bit with a better dac like the Modi Multibit. You could even use the dac in your Fulla 2 and connect to to a Magni 3 and save even more money. The Fulla 2 dac portion is close to the Modi 2 in performance.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #2,069 of 2,544
I'm generally not one to knock things just for the sake of doing so. However, I'm bored and this thread needs a kick in the rumpus. I generally subscribe to all threads here about things I own. I'm on the Nighthawks thread, and saw someone wondering/complaining about the sound of them, wondering about burn in and such. Dire Straights was brought up. I had my Nighthawks already hooked up so started playing them & listening. Sounded fine to me, but after a while I switched to other classic rock bands. Worked my way to Genesis, and man, some of their stuff didn't sound good at all. Thought to myself, wonder if this sounds any better on the Ori's. Yeah, just a little. Much better, enough so that it settled another internal argument in my head about which cans to sell after we move. Fly away little Hawks. I'll be keeping these wooden beauties instead.

Jan 7, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #2,070 of 2,544
Sometimes I return to my Ori from other headphones with relief--again hearing that familiar deep, impactful bass, musical/euphonic sound signature, and calm (but also explosive) planar sound quality. These headphones are physically beautiful (ormosia henryi) & w/the Pilot Pad, are incredibly comfortable.

I've had not 1 second of regret since getting the Ori. It + my Fidelio X2s are permanent touchstones of my headphone collection (such as it is!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back