ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Aug 10, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #2,026 of 2,544
OK, now I know what you're talking about: the wenge-only Ori sold through Linear Tube Audio. Pictures here: https://www.lineartubeaudio.com/products/zmf-lta-ori-le

Very nice!

I guess you won't have to worry about "wood darkening" (a topic mentioned fairly often here & in the Eikon & Atticus thread). Wenge;s one of the darker woods around, right up there w/Blackwood, and even more so, ebony.
Last evening was a late one and I went to sleep a happy guy , The best thing about this purchase of LTAs limited addition ORI is I liked them immediately , so much more musically involving and pleasurable then my recent choices of headphones which started with Audeze and Ag Audios premier HE-9 model preamplifier however overall comfort became a serious issue . Listening with headphones is new to me , I'm a speaker guy all the way and just wanted an alternative to using speakers for a second system away from home however I'm happy to say the overall comfort and enjoyment I'm finally getting out of using headphones is a big plus ,.

Aug 10, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #2,027 of 2,544
Been listening to my ZMF Ori quite a lot lately with this set-up and it sounds amazing....The way Zach has voiced these is just killer!

DSC00339.JPG

Aug 11, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #2,029 of 2,544
Awesome setup! How are you liking the Holo Springs?

That's a glenn amp right?

The Holo Spring is wonderful and I like it a lot. I am very happy with my set-up.

You are correct, the amp is a Glenn EL3N amp.

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #2,031 of 2,544
Just got a used Ori off forums yesterday, and the first thing I realized after it arriving is all of my current gear is designed around ease of driving, so I don't have any beefy amps around. So right now I'm getting by with good enough as I wait for an ifi idsd BL to arrive on Monday, which I would imagine would more than suffice. Even at "good enough" I'm loving the sound so far, so I'm really looking forward to what a bit more power can provide.

Aug 25, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #2,032 of 2,544
Just got a used Ori off forums yesterday, and the first thing I realized after it arriving is all of my current gear is designed around ease of driving, so I don't have any beefy amps around. So right now I'm getting by with good enough as I wait for an ifi idsd BL to arrive on Monday, which I would imagine would more than suffice. Even at "good enough" I'm loving the sound so far, so I'm really looking forward to what a bit more power can provide.
Congratulations,..for best results use OTL to drive them ; )

Aug 25, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #2,033 of 2,544

I have tried my Ori with 5 SS amps/preamps, and 4 of the 5 sounded wonderful (though somewhat different from each other):
  • Violectric V281 (balanced & single-ended_
  • Lake People G109-A (single ended, made by same people as Violectric)
  • Audio GD SA-31SE (balanced & single ended)
  • Liquid Carbon (balanced and single-ended)
The Audio GD has double the power of the V281; and the V281 has double the power of the others. However, the subjective experience of all that power is not exactly linear/predictable. In fact, all 4 units have more than enough power for the power-hungry Ori. By "more than enough power," I mean not only can you get it way beyond painfully loud--but it sounds terrific the whole time.

Simply getting a planar design to full loudness doesn't necessarily mean it will sound good. My 5th amp/preamp, the Matrix M-Stage HPA-1 (which has a very nice basic sound), just couldn't get the Ori up to speed. It got very loud, but sounded stressed at all volumes.

Aug 25, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #2,034 of 2,544
I have tried my Ori with 5 SS amps/preamps, and 4 of the 5 sounded wonderful (though somewhat different from each other):
  • Violectric V281 (balanced & single-ended_
  • Lake People G109-A (single ended, made by same people as Violectric)
  • Audio GD SA-31SE (balanced & single ended)
  • Liquid Carbon (balanced and single-ended)
The Audio GD has double the power of the V281; and the V281 has double the power of the others. However, the subjective experience of all that power is not exactly linear/predictable. In fact, all 4 units have more than enough power for the power-hungry Ori. By "more than enough power," I mean not only can you get it way beyond painfully loud--but it sounds terrific the whole time.

Simply getting a planar design to full loudness doesn't necessarily mean it will sound good. My 5th amp/preamp, the Matrix M-Stage HPA-1 (which has a very nice basic sound), just couldn't get the Ori up to speed. It got very loud, but sounded stressed at all volumes.

I tend to be easily pleased for the most part. I mean, I was happy hearing the Ori out of an Opus #1, and as I prefer to not be tied down to a desktop setup, for my uses the Black Label should be more than sufficient as I have a couple of daps I could use a transport. I'll see what I think of the pairing and go from there.

Aug 25, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #2,035 of 2,544
I tend to be easily pleased for the most part. I mean, I was happy hearing the Ori out of an Opus #1, and as I prefer to not be tied down to a desktop setup, for my uses the Black Label should be more than sufficient as I have a couple of daps I could use a transport. I'll see what I think of the pairing and go from there.

I hear nothing but good things about the iFi black label. Just looked at its specs: this little box should have plenty of power to make the Ori sound its best.

The only reason I listed my good/bad SS experiences w/the Ori were to suggest that you can get great sound out of it w/SS amplification, as well as tube.

Aug 25, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #2,036 of 2,544
Always meant to try tube, but the opportunity has never arisen. I suspect I'll be quite happy with the Black Label, but if I don't I'd most likely give tube a try. Either that or spend a little time fixing up an old receiver I have that's got a minor noise issue that puts a ton of juice into the headphone out.

I was surprised to see when the used one arrived that it's using an RSA jack, so I'll also need to track down a couple inexpensive adapters. Then again, it might be cheaper to come up with a new cable into XLR that I'd already have adapters for.

Aug 25, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #2,037 of 2,544
Always meant to try tube, but the opportunity has never arisen. I suspect I'll be quite happy with the Black Label, but if I don't I'd most likely give tube a try. Either that or spend a little time fixing up an old receiver I have that's got a minor noise issue that puts a ton of juice into the headphone out.

I was surprised to see when the used one arrived that it's using an RSA jack, so I'll also need to track down a couple inexpensive adapters. Then again, it might be cheaper to come up with a new cable into XLR that I'd already have adapters for.

The Ori cable terminates in RSA jacks? How bizarre!

Having a cable w/standard 4-pin XLR jack is a lot more convenient. However, whether you replace the cable or not really depends on a couple factors:
  • Is it a stock ZMF cable, or aftermarket
  • does it sound good?
  • and how much are you willing to spend on aftermarket
I spend ~$225 on aftermarket cables (Forza Audio Works HCP Noir, 2M + a S.E. "pigtail") and am very happy w/it. But that certainly bumped up the total cost of these headphones, which I purchased new.

Aug 25, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #2,038 of 2,544
It looks similar enough that I'd assume it's a DIY retermination. Honestly I'd be mostly inclined towards tracking down some inexpensive adapters to suit my needs. The RSA to 6.35mm looks a little DIY too, but is relatively short for what it is at least. I've never been a huge cable believer and typically aim for suiting a purpose when I look for one. I might just keep it simple and try one of thr XLR cables ZMF sells along with a pilot pad.

Aug 25, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #2,039 of 2,544

Plug into the black label and hit that 3D switch. If that doesn't put a smile on your face I don't know what will.

Aug 25, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #2,040 of 2,544
It looks similar enough that I'd assume it's a DIY retermination. Honestly I'd be mostly inclined towards tracking down some inexpensive adapters to suit my needs. The RSA to 6.35mm looks a little DIY too, but is relatively short for what it is at least. I've never been a huge cable believer and typically aim for suiting a purpose when I look for one. I might just keep it simple and try one of thr XLR cables ZMF sells along with a pilot pad.

Pilot pad? If you don't have one, getting one is a HUGE recommendation. It's turns any headband into the most comfortable headband you ever experienced.

I wouldn't think of using the Ori w/o the Pilot pad...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back