1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by levaix, May 28, 2015.
First

Back
126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135
137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146
Next

Last
  1. Loose-Leaf
    Last evening was a late one and I went to sleep a happy guy , The best thing about this purchase of LTAs limited addition ORI is I liked them immediately , so much more musically involving and pleasurable then my recent choices of headphones which started with Audeze and Ag Audios premier HE-9 model preamplifier however overall comfort became a serious issue . Listening with headphones is new to me , I'm a speaker guy all the way and just wanted an alternative to using speakers for a second system away from home however I'm happy to say the overall comfort and enjoyment I'm finally getting out of using headphones is a big plus ,.

2. whirlwind
    Been listening to my ZMF Ori quite a lot lately with this set-up and it sounds amazing....The way Zach has voiced these is just killer!

DSC00339.JPG

George Taylor likes this.
  3. DaemonSire
    Awesome setup! How are you liking the Holo Springs?

That's a glenn amp right?

4. whirlwind
    The Holo Spring is wonderful and I like it a lot. I am very happy with my set-up.

You are correct, the amp is a Glenn EL3N amp.

5. Loose-Leaf
    Looks great Whirlwind , . The ORI "Fantastic" bang for the buck ,..

6. Saoshyant
    Just got a used Ori off forums yesterday, and the first thing I realized after it arriving is all of my current gear is designed around ease of driving, so I don't have any beefy amps around. So right now I'm getting by with good enough as I wait for an ifi idsd BL to arrive on Monday, which I would imagine would more than suffice. Even at "good enough" I'm loving the sound so far, so I'm really looking forward to what a bit more power can provide.

7. Loose-Leaf
    Congratulations,..for best results use OTL to drive them ; )

8. Pharmaboy
    I have tried my Ori with 5 SS amps/preamps, and 4 of the 5 sounded wonderful (though somewhat different from each other):
    • Violectric V281 (balanced & single-ended_
    • Lake People G109-A (single ended, made by same people as Violectric)
    • Audio GD SA-31SE (balanced & single ended)
    • Liquid Carbon (balanced and single-ended)
    The Audio GD has double the power of the V281; and the V281 has double the power of the others. However, the subjective experience of all that power is not exactly linear/predictable. In fact, all 4 units have more than enough power for the power-hungry Ori. By "more than enough power," I mean not only can you get it way beyond painfully loud--but it sounds terrific the whole time.

Simply getting a planar design to full loudness doesn't necessarily mean it will sound good. My 5th amp/preamp, the Matrix M-Stage HPA-1 (which has a very nice basic sound), just couldn't get the Ori up to speed. It got very loud, but sounded stressed at all volumes.

9. Saoshyant
    I tend to be easily pleased for the most part. I mean, I was happy hearing the Ori out of an Opus #1, and as I prefer to not be tied down to a desktop setup, for my uses the Black Label should be more than sufficient as I have a couple of daps I could use a transport. I'll see what I think of the pairing and go from there.

10. Pharmaboy
    I hear nothing but good things about the iFi black label. Just looked at its specs: this little box should have plenty of power to make the Ori sound its best.

The only reason I listed my good/bad SS experiences w/the Ori were to suggest that you can get great sound out of it w/SS amplification, as well as tube.

11. Saoshyant
    Always meant to try tube, but the opportunity has never arisen. I suspect I'll be quite happy with the Black Label, but if I don't I'd most likely give tube a try. Either that or spend a little time fixing up an old receiver I have that's got a minor noise issue that puts a ton of juice into the headphone out.

I was surprised to see when the used one arrived that it's using an RSA jack, so I'll also need to track down a couple inexpensive adapters. Then again, it might be cheaper to come up with a new cable into XLR that I'd already have adapters for.

12. Pharmaboy
    The Ori cable terminates in RSA jacks? How bizarre!

Having a cable w/standard 4-pin XLR jack is a lot more convenient. However, whether you replace the cable or not really depends on a couple factors:
    • Is it a stock ZMF cable, or aftermarket
    • does it sound good?
    • and how much are you willing to spend on aftermarket
    I spend ~$225 on aftermarket cables (Forza Audio Works HCP Noir, 2M + a S.E. "pigtail") and am very happy w/it. But that certainly bumped up the total cost of these headphones, which I purchased new.

13. Saoshyant
    It looks similar enough that I'd assume it's a DIY retermination. Honestly I'd be mostly inclined towards tracking down some inexpensive adapters to suit my needs. The RSA to 6.35mm looks a little DIY too, but is relatively short for what it is at least. I've never been a huge cable believer and typically aim for suiting a purpose when I look for one. I might just keep it simple and try one of thr XLR cables ZMF sells along with a pilot pad.

14. George Taylor
    Plug into the black label and hit that 3D switch. If that doesn't put a smile on your face I don't know what will.

15. Pharmaboy
    Pilot pad? If you don't have one, getting one is a HUGE recommendation. It's turns any headband into the most comfortable headband you ever experienced.

I wouldn't think of using the Ori w/o the Pilot pad...

First

Back
126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135
137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146
Next

Last