1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by levaix, May 28, 2015.
First

Back
127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136
138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147
Next

Last
  1. Saoshyant
    I'll have it by Tuesday and should make for a lazy music listening day. Until now my main can was an HD700 which suits me quite well, but I could see this replacing that without any concern. I had never spent much on closed as I typically felt that the strengths of a closed can could also be achieved with IEMs that also have portability as a bonus. I know it's still in the honeymoon stage, but I'm really looking forward to what the Ori can really do with the new dac/amp.

@Pharmaboy Yeah, I had a feeling. I generally don't have a particularly sensitive head so the standard pad isn't too bad, except for days I shave my head. The Ori came with what appears to be a DIY strap of leather for a suspension pad, but I'd need to pick up new screws to even give it a try. I do remember with my old HE-400 before I sold it that at times I could develop a sore spot from long use, so I'll probably have to do either at some point. Honestly, I should just have the pilot pad on principle given how easily it can be used with other headphones. If anything, I can put it on my SennGrado.

Oh, and I should be slapped for even trying it, but I'm even smiling with the Ori straight out of a Walnut V2S.

2. Pharmaboy
    What is a walnut V2S?

3. Saoshyant
    A $25 screenless dap that has a bit more driving power than you'd expect. Good for modding, and at some point I'll try it with a Burson V5i.

4. Saoshyant
    Right now I'm listening to the Ori using Opus #1 as transport for idsd black label, and yep this is an awesome setup. Listening to some Pink Floyd before lunch, and I am quite happy with the purchase. I really cannot think of a single flaw for this setup, so I think the Ori was a great purchase for me. I think I might need to figure out a basshead can to conpliment, but I'm quite in a honeymoon period with this combo. Just need to get around to ordering a pilot pad and I'm set.

George Taylor likes this.
  5. Pharmaboy
    Just realized I haven't even checked this thread in several months...looks like it's been quiet. Understandable, with 3-4 new ZMF flagship designs now out there/soon to be out there.

A comment about an Ori experience I had today...

For various reasons I haven't listened to my ormosia henryi Ori for 2-3 months. Got all caught up in other things, incl. pad-rolling on the Fidelio X2s; purchasing, burning in, and extensively listening to the E-Mu Teaks; pad rolling the Teaks; 3 wks vacation; etc.

Today a head-fi pal stopped by to hear the Teaks & let me hear 3 of his headphones. Near the end of this ~2 hr session (we each had a dedicated amp w/its own volume control), I decided to pull out the Ori to "fact-check" the Teaks (hadn't done this before).

As soon as I put on this handsome headphone & cranked the volume up (it's a planar & needs power)--that wonderful Ori sound came rushing back to me: spacious, involving, w/deep bass, plenty of midrange, delicate treble, an enveloping soundstage. My ears had forgotten that relaxing, expansive, musical sound. Plus IMO the comfort's off the charts w/the Ori pads & pilot pad.

Once again, I felt so glad I own these excellent headphones.

The sound of the Ori will be my touchstone when I finally get to hear the Atticus (and maybe even new Auteur) in Feb.

Nick-s-f likes this.
  6. whirlwind

I hear you....i listen to my Ori all the time....addicted to it;s bass :)

7. Saoshyant
    Ordered pilot pad for Ori, and can't wait to see how much better the comfort will be, especially considering I can use it for my SennGrado too.

8. Pharmaboy
    Did some heavy listening to my Ori last night...in addition to wonderful sound, the comfort is really good--between the Ori pads, which are well padded, feel good on/around the ear, and allow the best seal; and the Pilot Pad, which gives the best headband-on-skull padding I've ever experienced.

BTW, I ordered my Ori w/o the leather strap that goes below the stiff plastic fostex headband. My Pilot Pad goes around that plastic headband, and with it on, I'm adjusting the ear sliders lower than they probably would be otherwise. If your Ori has the leather strap already installed below the plastic headband, you might want to remove it before putting on the Pilot Pad (just a thought).

9. Saoshyant
    The one I bought used had a strap included, but it was not attached, and honestly looked like a simple strap of leather that wasn't intended for the suspension purpose. I'd need to go buy some screws to attach the strap to try it anyways as it certainly appears the normal ones are not of an appropriate length to be useful.

10. Pharmaboy
    I predict none of that will matter once you experience the Ori w/a Pilot Pad.

FYI, I've listened to the Eikon fairly extensively--very impressive headphone. Eikon/Atticus design doesn't include a Pilot Pad. It relies on a buffalo/leather strap, which actually feels pretty good. Even though Eikon is a big, heavy headphone, I never felt discomfort. Still, if I ever get an Atticus (my pipe dream), I'll almost certainly get another Pilot Pad to use w/it.

(once you've felt "headphone luxury," there's no going back!)

11. Saoshyant
    My only issue at this point is the eventual sweating as the pads can be a bit warm.

12. Nick-s-f
    +1

The pilot pad is worth every penny.

My Ori was originally ordered with the leather strap, but I could not wear it for more than an hour without taking a break from it. It seemed just a bit too hard and the zmf lettering would press on my head and create a hotspot. The pilot pad is wonderful; it makes the Ori look awesome, floats on the head like a cloud, and never gets sweaty.

13. Saoshyant
    @Nick-s-f @Pharmaboy It should arrive Tuesday. And yeah, I'll probably regret not picking it up as soon as I ordered it.

14. gug42
    I don't have the pilot pad, the confort, for me, are really great ! One of the best ! (I change the pad with Alpha pads, I prefer)
    (And I don't like the look with pilot pad)

15. Saoshyant
    @Pharmaboy @Nick-s-f Both the pad and the Monoprice Monolith M300 arrived, and comfort-wise they're pretty much at opposite ends of the spectrum. If the iSine is as uncomfortable as the M300, I imagine I would have returned or sold it off by now. After getting through most of an album with them and giving up for now, I put on the Ori with it's new pad, and the fairly weighty headphones nearly disappear. This is so much better in every respect.

First

Back
127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136
138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147
Next

Last