ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Mar 20, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #6,856 of 7,254
I shouldn’t have went on ZMFs website…. That zebrawoood Caldera is so pretty. @_@
You're right, you made me look and now I regret it cause my wallet has had enough of me :beyersmile:

Mar 21, 2024 at 6:12 AM Post #6,857 of 7,254
Question: How about I buy a Schiit Midgard and use with Mojo 2 as only DAC for my Caldera? Would it be a discernible improvement?

Mar 21, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #6,858 of 7,254
Question: How about I buy a Schiit Midgard and use with Mojo 2 as only DAC for my Caldera? Would it be a discernible improvement?

Noticeably better than Mojo 2 alone

Mar 21, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #6,859 of 7,254
Noticeably better than Mojo 2 alone
Hi @Lyssky. I agree with @theveterans. I am a Mojo 2 user.

With an amp the Mojo 2 sees a high impedance thereby reducing current demands on the device. I think this improves the resolution of the Mojo 2. Also most high powered amps will drive the Caldera better than the Mojo 2.

Caveat: I’m noticing amp pairings make a big difference in my listening experiences. I do not like Toppings or the measurement focused Schitt amps with Caldera and Mojo. I preferred Mojo alone in those circumstances. I very much enjoy the Caldera Nitsch Pietus Maximus and my old Vali 2 with a Reflector 6H23pi-EB tube. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t curious about what the Midgard balanced output does or doesn’t do with the Caldera!

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #6,860 of 7,254
Hi @Lyssky. I agree with @theveterans. I am a Mojo 2 user.

With an amp the Mojo 2 sees a high impedance thereby reducing current demands on the device. I think this improves the resolution of the Mojo 2. Also most high powered amps will drive the Caldera better than the Mojo 2.

Caveat: I’m noticing amp pairings make a big difference in my listening experiences. I do not like Toppings or the measurement focused Schitt amps with Caldera and Mojo. I preferred Mojo alone in those circumstances. I very much enjoy the Caldera Nitsch Pietus Maximus and my old Vali 2 with a Reflector 6H23pi-EB tube. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t curious about what the Midgard balanced output does or doesn’t do with the Caldera!
Oh thanks a lot for the response.
@theveterans Do you have any idea how Midgard balanced output vs Nitsch Pietus Maximus would compare with the Caldera?

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #6,861 of 7,254
Oh thanks a lot for the response.
@theveterans Do you have any idea how Midgard balanced output vs Nitsch Pietus Maximus would compare with the Caldera?

For most headphones:

Midgard on Halo = more transparent to Mojo 2's or any DAC's tonality, wider, spacious, tighter but textured bass
Pietus = warmer, fuller, more refined (trailing edges are resolved better), better bass impact and extension

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #6,862 of 7,254
For most headphones:

Midgard on Halo = more transparent to Mojo 2's or any DAC's tonality, wider, spacious, tighter but textured bass
Pietus = warmer, fuller, more refined (trailing edges are resolved better), better bass impact and extension
Thank you. Even though sound signatures are different, can we say that Piety is technically superior with more detail, resolution and punch?

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #6,863 of 7,254
Thank you. Even though sound signatures are different, can we say that Piety is technically superior with more detail, resolution and punch?

Resolution-wise, Pietus has a tiny bit of an advantage. Pietus is more refined only on the trailing edges of the notes. Midgard is already technically great in its own rights. As for punchiness, they're equally good except that Pietus has more weight to the notes. However, Midgard will give you more sense of treble extension and width than Pietus.

If it were up to me personally, I tend to put more emphasis on transparency hence if I was to grade Schiit amps from best to worst: Mjolnir 3 > Pietus = Midgard subjectively.

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #6,864 of 7,254

By the way, a surprising combination. Because of how good it is...

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #6,865 of 7,254
... and this one.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #6,866 of 7,254
Anyone know how to get the mantle mesh for the Calderas? Is it only via email? I couldn't find it on their website, and its been about 2.5 weeks that I've reached out to ZMF but haven't heard from them. Thick pads I know are on their site but I want to get them in a combo if possible.

Loving the Calderas but I do want to reign in those upper-mids a bit more. Thanks.

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #6,867 of 7,254
Anyone know how to get the mantle mesh for the Calderas? Is it only via email? I couldn't find it on their website, and its been about 2.5 weeks that I've reached out to ZMF but haven't heard from them. Thick pads I know are on their site but I want to get them in a combo if possible.

Loving the Calderas but I do want to reign in those upper-mids a bit more. Thanks.
It's in the DIY under Titan Mesh as an option in the dropdown (Mantle) : https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/diy/products/acoustic-titan-mesh

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #6,868 of 7,254
Mar 25, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #6,869 of 7,254
Thick pads I know are on their site but I want to get them in a combo if possible.

I purchased my coffee-stained oak Caldera with the mantle mesh installed. Knew I needed it and figured no sense messing around.

The lambskin thick pads were one of the four pad sets I got with the headphone. I tried them all (the stock pads are really good), but as soon as I put the thicks, that was it--the sound locked in & became pure goldilocks for my treble-averse ears.

(those pads are never coming off...)

IMO the Caldera is a fascinating planar headphone. It has a lot of resolution; with the stock mesh and right choice of earpads, it's easy for the resolution-seeker to push that aspect of the headphone even higher. The Caldera also has a very high level of musicality & musical realism lurking in its drivers; with the Mantle mesh and thick pads, the tonal beauty of music comes through even more clearly. I don't know of many TOTL headphones that are so graceful about going in the particular sonic direction desired by the user.

And oh, by the way, this planar bass is outstanding.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #6,870 of 7,254
I purchased my coffee-stained oak Caldera with the mantle mesh installed. Knew I needed it and figured no sense messing around.

The lambskin thick pads were one of the four pad sets I got with the headphone. I tried them all (the stock pads are really good), but as soon as I put the thicks, that was it--the sound locked in & became pure goldilocks for my treble-averse ears.

(those pads are never coming off...)

IMO the Caldera is a fascinating planar headphone. It has a lot of resolution; with the stock mesh and right choice of earpads, it's easy for the resolution-seeker to push that aspect of the headphone even higher. The Caldera also has a very high level of musicality & musical realism lurking in its drivers; with the Mantle mesh and thick pads, the tonal beauty of music comes through even more clearly. I don't know of many TOTL headphones that are so graceful about going in the particular sonic direction desired by the user.

And oh, by the way, this planar bass is outstanding.
Your impressions along with a few other mirroring ones definitely have me excited to try out the mesh/pad rolling. I am not particularly sensitive to the upper-midrange/treble upper frequencies with the stock Caldera, but it does come across as a bit harsh and shouty (from my system at least) relative to the more laid-back Elite & Susvara. The intimate staging is nice but I do hope the pads help open up with the stage width just a tad a bit more. The stage depth is great, but I guess I am spoiled from the Elite & Susvara for soundstage width wrapping around your head.

I do love the physicality and decay of the bass (especially for planar). And vocals come across as incredible depending on the track. Perhaps just a few minor tweaks and I'll get it to exactly where I want it. Thanks for sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back