ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Mar 13, 2024 at 7:40 AM Post #6,826 of 7,477
Yeah that is in essence what they are. All new headphones going forward will likely be designed using a version of the Caldera pads.

And whoops, thanks for the reminder, I just added the suede to the webaote as they are in stock: https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/calderapads?variant=44121706266787

The biggest difference is the dynamic driver vs planar driver thing. The CC has the slightly higher resolution due to driver type and that firm sound, Atrium has the euphonic breath that only dynamic drivers can have.

I know that's an incredibly short explanation, I'm sure others will compare much better soon.

Are you planning on making a newer version of Verite?

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #6,827 of 7,477
I'm the dumbass who mistook you for a ZMF employee on Sunday. Once we got that straightened out, it was very nice to meet & speak with you, also to get a look at one of your gorgeous amps (love those copper/verdigris covers).

Many people say complimentary things about various tube amps on Head-Fi--and there's little doubt ZMF dynamics love tubes--but the comments I read about your amps are unusually positive and passionate.
Still you prefer Caldera over Susvara?

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #6,828 of 7,477

Officially joined the ZMF family after meeting the tremendously passionate, talented, and amazing team consisting of Zach, Bev, AJ and so many others at CanJam! So far, I am a fan of the Calderas but am waiting to try out the mesh mantle + thick pads to try and tame some of those upper mids, particularly for vocals. I also have a WA23 LUNA coming in tomorrow so I am excited to see how that pairs. But in the meantime, the Calderas definitely seem to act more akin to a dynamic driver than any other planar I've heard. You sacrifice some speed for a meaty, powerful sound with strong timbre and PRaT---definitely a musical treat.

I also had some fun taking and editing some photos of a Stabilzed Wood LTD pair that I took home with me (still deciding what to name her :)). She is a bit more turquoise than green IRL.

I loved that pair of Calderas at CanJam - congrats! I think you'll really enjoy the Caldera on the WA-23. That's my jam. Favorite headphone and favorite headphone amp.
I was in the ZMF Room and sat down next to a guy listening to the Aegis. I recognized his Caldera from the photos here on the thread. Turns out it was AcousticMatt. Such a random encounter 🤣

"Excuse me sir, don't take this the wrong way but I recognize your Caldera"
Haha, I thought it was very cool that you recognized my headphone like that. It was very nice to meet you. The Caldera/Aegis pairing was one of my favorites from CanJam.
Great seeing both you and @AcousticMatt at the ZMF room.

Love your story of recognizing him based on his headphones😁❤️
Great seeing you too, man!

Side note - this is the first CanJam I've been to where I've been satisfied with what I have, headphone-wise. I listened to almost every headphone I had on my list to try, but once I put on my Caldera or Atrium Closed after it, I just felt so stoked on the sound. So much so that I didn't feel the need to buy any new headphones. Feels good to be content.

Mar 13, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #6,829 of 7,477
Side note - this is the first CanJam I've been to where I've been satisfied with what I have, headphone-wise. I listened to almost every headphone I had on my list to try, but once I put on my Caldera or Atrium Closed after it, I just felt so stoked on the sound. So much so that I didn't feel the need to buy any new headphones. Feels good to be content.

My experience was very similar - tried a bunch of TOTLs like Susvara, Shangri-La, STAX 009S, Tungsten, Utopia, even the legendary HE-1. While all were excellent sounding, I left CanJam totally satisfied with my personal setup of Caldera + Mjolnir 3. I don't think any further upgrades would make a meaningful improvement in my audio experience, at least not with the amount I'd be willing to spend. It was really reassuring, and I agree, it feels good to be content (for now at least).

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #6,830 of 7,477
My experience was very similar - tried a bunch of TOTLs like Susvara, Shangri-La Sr, STAX 009S, Tungsten, Utopia, even the legendary HE-1. While all were excellent sounding, I left CanJam totally satisfied with my personal setup of Caldera + Mjolnir 3. I don't think any further upgrades would improve the audio experience for me right now. It was a really reassuring experience, and I agree, it feels good to be content.
Try to Pair Caldera with Questyle Cma Fifteen. Amazing experience.

Mar 13, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #6,831 of 7,477
The biggest difference is the dynamic driver vs planar driver thing. The CC has the slightly higher resolution due to driver type and that firm sound, Atrium has the euphonic breath that only dynamic drivers can have.

I know that's an incredibly short explanation, I'm sure others will compare much better soon.
I get similar questions about the differences from other members here sometimes. I think that is a good succinct explanation of planar vs dynamic. I'll properly quote you as the reference if I get more questions like that. Thank you Professor Zach :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #6,832 of 7,477
My experience was very similar - tried a bunch of TOTLs like Susvara, Shangri-La Sr, STAX 009S, Tungsten, Utopia, even the legendary HE-1. While all were excellent sounding, I left CanJam totally satisfied with my personal setup of Caldera + Mjolnir 3. I don't think any further upgrades would be worth the money for me right now in terms of improving my audio experience. It was really reassuring, and I agree, it feels good to be content.
I left last CanJam with the same thoughts and feelings of satisfaction. Plus with the realisation that for proper improvements I would have to spend 3-4 times the price of my current gear which is out of question. It is a good place to be when you audition new stuff only out of curiosity, not due to dissatisfaction about certain sonic aspects in your system. It is relaxing to know your taste and enjoying your gear more than many other, more expensive setups. Usually takes a few years to reach this point though. :)

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #6,833 of 7,477
Still you prefer Caldera over Susvara?
Yes. In fact, I had yet another mind-blowing listening session with the Caldera last night (first on V281, then on Wells Milo). With the mantle mess installed and lambskin thick pads on those beautiful oak earcups, the sound is quite amazing--very resolving, and at the same time, very musical and ear-friendly.

But in fairness, I've only heard the Susvara briefly on several occasions. I liked certain things about it, but could only really figure out what it's doing if I had it IMS for some time.

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #6,834 of 7,477
My experience was very similar - tried a bunch of TOTLs like Susvara, Shangri-La Sr, STAX 009S, Tungsten, Utopia, even the legendary HE-1. While all were excellent sounding, I left CanJam totally satisfied with my personal setup of Caldera + Mjolnir 3. I don't think any further upgrades would be worth the money for me right now in terms of improving my audio experience. It was really reassuring, and I agree, it feels good to be content.
Very cool that you're satisfied with the Mjolnir. That was one of my favorite amps I heard with the Caldera and I'm considering getting it. I liked the Lyr+ a tad more though... a little more relaxed and colored.

Where'd you hear Shangri-La, btw?

Mar 13, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #6,835 of 7,477
Very cool that you're satisfied with the Mjolnir. That was one of my favorite amps I heard with the Caldera and I'm considering getting it. I liked the Lyr+ a tad more though... a little more relaxed and colored.

Where'd you hear Shangri-La, btw?
Viva's room had one on their Egoista STX, awesome set up.

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #6,836 of 7,477
Viva's room had one on their Egoista STX, awesome set up.
I peeked into their room a couple times out of curiosity. Their size and style are not to my liking but I would like to listen sometime later as they do get a lot of praise.
allie-cat.gif

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #6,837 of 7,477
All new headphones going forward will likely be designed using a version of the Caldera pads.
Interesting! Caldera is certainly sensitive to pad changes - even more than other ZMFs? Really interesting if you've found that this particular pad design works as well with dynamics as it does with planars. Almost got me thinking I need to swap my Caldera pads to Verite before I let it go....... :wink:

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #6,838 of 7,477
Interesting! Caldera is certainly sensitive to pad changes - even more than other ZMFs? Really interesting if you've found that this particular pad design works as well with dynamics as it does with planars. Almost got me thinking I need to swap my Caldera pads to Verite before I let it go....... :wink:
My favorite pad for the AO right now is the Caldera Ultra Perf. Not every Caldera pad can be used on the AO. Tried the Caldera thick and it was not a good combo on the AO.

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #6,839 of 7,477
My favorite pad for the AO right now is the Caldera Ultra Perf. Not every Caldera pad can be used on the AO. Tried the Caldera thick and it was not a good combo on the AO.
Same, really enjoying the Ultra Perf on the AO too. Took home a set of the Caldera Thick from CanJam for my Caldera Opens and it is an improvement for my ears that needed a bit more spacing.

Mar 13, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #6,840 of 7,477
I loved that pair of Calderas at CanJam - congrats! I think you'll really enjoy the Caldera on the WA-23. That's my jam. Favorite headphone and favorite headphone amp.

Haha, I thought it was very cool that you recognized my headphone like that. It was very nice to meet you. The Caldera/Aegis pairing was one of my favorites from CanJam.

Great seeing you too, man!

come on nobody is ever content lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back