ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Mar 13, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #6,841 of 7,373
Hi guys,

As many of us have gotten a change to demo the Caldera Closed at CanJam this past weekened, it seems like it may be a good idea to have a proper thread for it to share impressions and add more info as it comes ot market.

for that purpose//

I just started a new Caldera Closed thread :beerchug:
-- https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-caldera-closed.972056/

let's being sharing our CanJam experiences and being the CC dialogue.... :)

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #6,842 of 7,373
Mar 14, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #6,843 of 7,373
Had to chop up my own foam because Canjam units don’t come with a seahorse case. Not my finest work but it’ll do. Hahahaha!

IMG_4653.jpeg

Mar 14, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #6,844 of 7,373
It's a rare occurrence in this hobby.
Certainly, a temporary experience, if you follow new product releases, read Head-Fi and go to auditions. I think, a year of complete contentment in such cases is already a great achievement. :)

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #6,845 of 7,373
Certainly, a temporary experience, if you follow new product releases, read Head-Fi and go to auditions. I think, a year of complete contentment in such cases is already a great achievement. :)
I managed 3 years with my OG Auteurs, which speaks a lot for the headphones IMO, but like you said, I think you sooner or later "relapse" if you follow product releases etc, and certainly if you hang on these forums lol.

Mar 14, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #6,846 of 7,373
Wood is just beautiful
Sorry to interrupt Gents, but the more rare the more valuable, right?
That "morning" type I'm referring to.
The sort of people who buy $4k headphones do all write all sorts of zany things. :wink:lol
Now go on with your xxxx picks! Just jealous though of folk's pride and joy shown here!
Don't tell me I'm the only guy who comes here for x-rated pics 😇

Mar 17, 2024 at 11:29 PM Post #6,847 of 7,373
It's a rare occurrence in this hobby.
And when you ARE content, it’s worth reflecting on WHY and how you got there.

That can help you reach the next “contented plateau” where you can relax, breathe, and simply enjoy the music.
🎶 :o2smile:🎶

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:33 AM Post #6,848 of 7,373

That can help you reach the next “contented plateau” where you can relax, breathe, and simply enjoy the music.
Wise words.

Mar 18, 2024 at 4:11 AM Post #6,849 of 7,373

Reflection is always good, but what I discovered is that after some content time with a certain system, I might want to change the sound profile a little bit. The time frame can be anything between 6 months and 2 years, but after a while most of us crave something new. Going from a laid back and relaxed sound to something livelier, or from a warm and natural presentation to something clearer and snappier. It is great if someone can afford to keep 2-3 DACs, 3-4 amps, 4-5 headphones and just swap between them depending on mood, but most of us are simply not that fortunate when it comes to finances and/or space at home to keep all the gear. Plus, after a while the upgraditis bug bites hard too; I always want to max out my favourite sound which inevitably leads to selling gear which I enjoy less. I guess, this is the reality for many hobbyists who cannot afford to pile up 20K-30K gear in their home. This is not a complaint, just an analysis. I am sure, we all could spend a few hundred grands on audio, if we could. We just need to use our given funds the best way. Some do it by keeping 2-3 'mid-fi' systems, some max it out in one 'high-end' system. I personally support the latter approach, but it means swapping components once in a while. The hobby is also evolving, so every few years better components become available. It is very rare for an amplifier or headphones to resist changing times and become a classic. Discovering new gear is also part of the fun, we just need to find a healthy balance.

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #6,850 of 7,373
I took a shot at a tube amp and picked up a used one in the classifieds here. The Caldera's seem to LOVE the tube amp.
IMG_1058.jpg

Mar 18, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #6,851 of 7,373

I'm there now. I had a random thought last night "if someone told me I could straight up trade my system for a HE-1, even-steven, I still wouldn't do it." It's a really nice place to be, tbh. :relaxed:

I took a shot at a tube amp and picked up a used one in the classifieds here. The Caldera's seem to LOVE the tube amp. IMG_1058.jpg

Lyr is an amazing combination of tube input and powerful solid state output, I'm not surprised Caldera synergizes with it. I used Lyr with Utopia for years and also found it an excellent combination. Lyr adds *just a hint* of the right warmth & smoothness without overdoing it while still providing world-class power & dynamics.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #6,852 of 7,373
Today listened metal extensively. I adore Caldera's upper-mid lift in the sense of solo electro guitars. Yes, I feel a bit of sensitivity like some here but the pressure of the guitars screaming so cleanly, so full of meat and emotional presses on my brain's pleasure center and most probably on addiction center as well.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:58 AM Post #6,853 of 7,373
Caldera suede ultra perf pads arrived today! While they're not replacing the standard Caldera suedes for me, they're distinctly different. Positives are that the stage seems wider, they're more airy, and have even more clarity. A favorite song which has a section with many overlapping vocals and almost too much going on and I can't get to sound how I think it should with really any of my headphones, with these pads it finally sounded like I want it to! The price to pay though is that without that solid inner part of the pad, the bass is compromised more than I prefer and Caldera bass has been the best I've heard. I can certainly see using these at times, especially for extremely busy songs. Also thinking that if the Caldera Closed ends up sounding very similar to the Open as some hearing the not quite final version of the CC have said, that I may switch to these on the Open just to have more difference between the two.

Anyway always nice to have a new pad option, especially for my favorite headphone. Definitely worth checking out if looking for more air and a larger stage. I've not heard the lambskin ultra perf so no clue how they compare.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #6,855 of 7,373
I shouldn’t have went on ZMFs website…. That zebrawoood Caldera is so pretty. @_@

Users who are viewing this thread

Back