ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Mar 25, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #6,871 of 7,219
I purchased my coffee-stained oak Caldera with the mantle mesh installed. Knew I needed it and figured no sense messing around.
Wise words for those of us who are treble-challenged.

My grand plan is taking shape to attend CanJam SoCal this fall and try (and likely purchase) the Caldera Closed! 😊👍

Now I just need to stay on top of CJ SoCal details as those get announced.

Mar 25, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #6,872 of 7,219
Mar 25, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #6,873 of 7,219
Best bass of any headphone. Period.

FIGHT ME. :wink:
Does that mean that Caldera Closed will take “the best bass of any headphone” to (yet) another level?

Cuz, I mean, I’m SO THERE for that. 🤪

Mar 25, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #6,874 of 7,219
Best bass of any headphone. Period.

FIGHT ME. :wink:
Ever heard the Ori? It has crushing bass that lays against my ears like big sandbags.

The Caldera has more resolution and nuance in the bass, but for energy & density of bass, the Ori is neck and neck w/it.

And of course that's a tribute to Zach, who voiced that headphone masterfully IMO.

Mar 25, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #6,875 of 7,219
Wise words for those of us who are treble-challenged.

My grand plan is taking shape to attend CanJam SoCal this fall and try (and likely purchase) the Caldera Closed! 😊👍

Now I just need to stay on top of CJ SoCal details as those get announced.
It's going to be held Sept. 28-29th at the Irvine Marriott, unless you meant further details on what ZMF will have available at the show.

CanJam SoCal 2024

Mar 25, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #6,876 of 7,219
Does that mean that Caldera Closed will take “the best bass of any headphone” to (yet) another level?

Cuz, I mean, I’m SO THERE for that. 🤪
Well, I heard Caldera closed very briefly at CanJam and I did not come away thinking it was "better" in the bass than Caldera. But YMMV. :wink:

The Caldera has more resolution and nuance in the bass,
I rest my case. :wink: :L3000:

Mar 25, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #6,877 of 7,219
I very much recommend this album on Caldera. This incredible album is as much about the bass and percussion as it is about the saxophone, and it sounds [to my ears] better on Caldera than anything else I've heard it on. Deep, dynamic, impactful, & shiningly musical - a description that applies equally well to both the music and the headphone. :L3000:

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #6,878 of 7,219
I very much recommend this album on Caldera. This incredible album is as much about the bass and percussion as it is about the saxophone, and it sounds [to my ears] better on Caldera than anything else I've heard it on. Deep, dynamic, impactful, & shiningly musical - a description that applies equally well to both the music and the headphone. :L3000:

Duuuude I was just listening to this on the Caldera the other day! Great musicianship that sounds great on the Caldera, agreed.

Mar 25, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #6,879 of 7,219
Duuuude I was just listening to this on the Caldera the other day! Great musicianship that sounds great on the Caldera, agreed.
I listened to it on Susvara and Utopia last night, and Caldera tonight. Caldera wins this one, hands-down. :wink:

Mar 25, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #6,880 of 7,219
I listened to it on Susvara and Utopia last night, and Caldera tonight. Caldera wins this one, hands-down. :wink:
Agreed! The way instruments sound on Caldera is my favorite and great for this kind of album.

Mar 25, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #6,881 of 7,219

Definitely not arguing with you. But I am curious - what pads are you using?

To the thread at-large: Has anyone seen FR measurements with different pads?

Mar 25, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #6,882 of 7,219
Definitely not arguing with you. But I am curious - what pads are you using?

To the thread at-large: Has anyone seen FR measurements with different pads?
Caldera thick. I've tried standard, thin, & cow. I have suede, but tbh I haven't even tried them yet. Landed on thick and haven't looked back.

That said, I already have Utopia and Susvara if I want a neutral/bright presentation, so what I'm looking for from Caldera may not be the same as all.

Mar 25, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #6,883 of 7,219
It's going to be held Sept. 28-29th at the Irvine Marriott, unless you meant further details on what ZMF will have available at the show.

CanJam SoCal 2024
Thank you! That’s super helpful. I may just have to start booking tickets tonight, then… 😆

Mar 26, 2024 at 1:11 AM Post #6,884 of 7,219

CanJam SoCal 2024
BOOKED! This will be my first one. Very, very excited.

Will start reaching out to folks well in advance so the social aspects of CanJam don't pass me by. :beerchug:

Mar 26, 2024 at 2:05 AM Post #6,885 of 7,219
BOOKED! This will be my first one. Very, very excited.

Will start reaching out to folks well in advance so the social aspects of CanJam don't pass me by. :beerchug:
If you are OK with Soutwest I would fly into Long Beach airport instead of LAX, if you can.

It's a smaller and more chill airport. About the size of two Best Buys. It's also closer to Irvine than LAX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back