ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Mar 15, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #3,691 of 7,229
Just got my Caldera today and gave it a good listen with a Topping Stack. What threw me off a little was the very slight recessed mids than what I was used to with the VO/VC and HD650. But the more I listened to the Caldera the more I was impressed by the soundstage depth, bass, clarity and speed, the lowered mids didn't bother me that much afterwards as I heard a much bigger soundstage than I've ever heard.

One thing that still bothers me a little is the treble has a slight bite to it, I have to figure how to ease the treble a little, should I switch to a different pad without sacrificing too much dynamics (I'm using Stock rn) or maybe look for a warmer amp?
I'm currently using a Topping D90D which I know probably doesn't help with the treble.........but would anyone recommend the V281 or Ferrum Stack for the Calderas? I heard that these amps have plenty of power and have slight coloration which could help tame the treble on my Calderas a bit.

The v281 is pretty hard to come by these days. I had a WTB ad out for around six weeks and not a single bite, though I did see one in the classifieds last week, but by then I had already picked up the V550 pro, which isn't as warm sounding as the v281. Still, I'm not experiencing any 'bite' in the upper frequencies with the Caldera.

The current Violectric amp that sounds closest to the discontinued v281 is the v202. I have no experience with the Ferrum stack.

You also might consider switching to a R2R DAC for a warmer sound.
If you do consider the Violectrics, the recent series releases are nice options. Many are noticing it brought back some of the warmth characteristics of their earlier series. I'm using the V222 a lot lately and it does pair nicely with the ZMFs I currently own. Caldera is on my RADAR to acquire soon and I'm confident it will synergize well with the Violectric. I enjoy how a tube amp works with ZMF dynamics and when switching to the V222 it tightens up the decay without shifting so much toward a reference-like sound.

Mar 15, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #3,692 of 7,229
One thing that still bothers me a little is the treble has a slight bite to it, I have to figure how to ease the treble a little, should I switch to a different pad without sacrificing too much dynamics (I'm using Stock rn) or maybe look for a warmer amp?
I'm currently using a Topping D90D which I know probably doesn't help with the treble.........but would anyone recommend the V281 or Ferrum Stack for the Calderas? I heard that these amps have plenty of power and have slight coloration which could help tame the treble on my Calderas a bit.
If you do consider the Violectrics, the recent series releases are nice options. Many are noticing it brought back some of the warmth characteristics of their earlier series. I'm using the V222 a lot lately and it does pair nicely with the ZMFs I currently own. Caldera is on my RADAR to acquire soon and I'm confident it will synergize well with the Violectric. I enjoy how a tube amp works with ZMF dynamics and when switching to the V222 it tightens up the decay without shifting so much toward a reference-like sound.
I also can confirm the great paring with my Violectric DHA V226 (also has the v281 heritage amplification) and the Caldera. Was really astonished how great both sound together - was not expecting this (I had the v281 also for some years).

Mar 15, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #3,693 of 7,229
Just got my Caldera today and gave it a good listen with a Topping Stack. What threw me off a little was the very slight recessed mids than what I was used to with the VO/VC and HD650. But the more I listened to the Caldera the more I was impressed by the soundstage depth, bass, clarity and speed, the lowered mids didn't bother me that much afterwards as I heard a much bigger soundstage than I've ever heard.

I understand about treble bite here, on certain recordings (especially rock recording with lesser quality in my case) may create fatigue for long time listening. This "bite" is set up dependant though, when I tried with D90SE + A90 indeed the glare is there. However when i drive Caldera through direct Chord TT2, it's simply smooth and fluid on treble.

The cheaper option and if you are a cable believer, should try ZMF 2K Copper cable before purchase TOTL amps.

For SS Amp option, hard to beat Ferrum oor/Hypsos for Caldera, but personally with similar budget I would take Cayin HA-6A over it for more pleasing listening experience (bigger soundstage, sweeter character and fuller body sound)

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #3,694 of 7,229

I use the Ferrum Oor with the Caldera and I've been using the Mantle mesh for a week or so. The mesh definitely darkens the treble a bit so like others have mentioned it's a good place to start and would definitely try that before considering a chain change. I have stock, thick, and suede pads and imo the mesh sounds best with the stock pads.

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #3,695 of 7,229
I understand about treble bite here, on certain recordings (especially rock recording with lesser quality in my case) may create fatigue for long time listening. This "bite" is set up dependant though, when I tried with D90SE + A90 indeed the glare is there. However when i drive Caldera through direct Chord TT2, it's simply smooth and fluid on treble.

The cheaper option and if you are a cable believer, should try ZMF 2K Copper cable before purchase TOTL amps.

For SS Amp option, hard to beat Ferrum oor/Hypsos for Caldera, but personally with similar budget I would take Cayin HA-6A over it for more pleasing listening experience (bigger soundstage, sweeter character and fuller body sound)

Thanks, I will be receiving my Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable that I just sent to get re-terminated to XLR, I've used Silver Dragons for most of the headphones I've had and I would say the cables (despite being pure silver litz) tend to give a warmer presentation so that might factor in a little bit.

There seems to be several great SS amp options that are relatively colored or warm sounding which I think will always pair nicely with the ZMF house sound.
I've also just purchased the Mantle mesh and will so some comparing.

All in all, I'm willing to hold onto this headphone and experiment more with it, the Caldera is that great of a headphone.

Mar 15, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #3,696 of 7,229
Feels like an eternity, was promised Zach would ship it to my dealer end of last week or start of this one, and not much info on what's going on about it...

Mar 15, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #3,697 of 7,229
Feels like an eternity, was promised Zach would ship it to my dealer end of last week or start of this one, and not much info on what's going on about it...
lol, I'm still waiting as well but I'm sure we'll hear something soon so be patient. Zach and Bevin were probably a bit busy w/ the NYC canjam end of Feb. If you don't hear anything this week you might shoot them an email next Mon or Tues.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #3,698 of 7,229
ZMF has always shipped within the time window they put on the website for my orders. I ordered a redheart Caldera on launch day, February 3rd and they will arrive this Friday, six weeks later- right in the middle of the 4-8 week lead time on the website.

Mar 15, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #3,699 of 7,229
ZMF has always shipped within the time window they put on the website for my orders. I ordered a redheart Caldera on launch day, February 3rd and they will arrive this Friday, six weeks later- right in the middle of the 4-8 week lead time on the website.
That's been my experience as well. Tbh I'm not concerned as I wasn't expecting mine to be done until end of March to beginning of April. Zach and Bevin have been very good about communication on my build and informed me that I will most likely have it sooner than that. Besides I have a decent library of can's to keep me occupied.

Come to think of it, I should probably stop buying headphones...

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #3,700 of 7,229
If I plan a short vacation or am unable to be home to accept delivery they will arrive then. It’s a universal guarantee.

If I were smart I’d start planning vacations early to not get my headphones sooner! :)

Mar 15, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #3,701 of 7,229
ZMF customer service is great working around vacation times. Last few orders I gave them my dates I was away from home and they quickly replied no problems to hold off until I was back. Usually it was Bevin replying to assist.

Mar 15, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #3,702 of 7,229
Ok....... so after leaving the Calderas to burn in for 10 hours straight and coming home from work for a listen, I can say that the presentation is more smoother than what I heard yesterday. I'm so wowed by the resolution, clarity, bass quality and soundstage depth that I can say that I actually do NOT miss the mids that I'm used to hearing.
If I'm in the mood for a midcentric experience I have my HD650s for that.
Again, I'm still skeptical about burn-in on planar cans.......this smoother listen is probably my Topping A90D's caps being burned in and its tonal qualities changed slightly.

I'm still going to try other amps out, I think I know which amp I will be after now (this amp is quite hard to acquire-you know which one).

Anyways, I can gladly say this Caldera is too stay, I never really liked planars until I've met the Caldera and focused mainly on its strengths instead of searching for any oddities in the sound like most people would.

Briefly remembering trying a friend's Susvara in his audio chain and comparing it to my experience with the Calderas now, the Calderas definitely have a more natural/organic tonality for Planars, the Susvaras as I remembered had an interesting soundstage presentation but the headphone sounded too thin and metallic overall. I would give a huge edge to the Caldera for tonality and even clarity in some cases, the bass is terrific.
I feel like I can always count on the Calderas for a spacious but yet detailed and fun listen everytime!

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #3,703 of 7,229
Ok....... so after leaving the Calderas to burn in for 10 hours
This is a pretty simple thing that I sometime overlook, but if you position your ear to the front or back of the cup it makes a pretty big difference in the sound. Putting more space in front or behind your ear / putting your ear closer or further from the driver. I usually wear it pretty much in the middle, but every once in a while if something feels bright I push it forward so my ears are toward the back of the pads. Not a huge change, but good to mess with.

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #3,704 of 7,229
We've ordered on the 5th of February, and I'm not even expecting (Unfortunately) to get it tomorrow. But this doesn't mean that it shouldn't be at least on its way...

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #3,705 of 7,229
My Redheart is finally on its way to my vendor, should have it net week, cant wait to try it with Bliss, May and Ha-3a :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back