ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Mar 13, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #3,661 of 7,458
For some reason actually i quite like the pairing of Verite Open and Hugo 2 (even though Hugo 2 has extremely low imepedance output), the tonality become very balance, clarity is there, punch is there, and liquid full body vocal is nice. Been a while since I sold my Hugo 2, so not able to tested it with Caldera.

With Chord TT2, Caldera is a true winner when compared to VO.

Gorgeous Kingwood btw!

Mar 13, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #3,662 of 7,458
... another seizure of compulsive buying disorder brought the Caldera home to me, let's see if its a keeper :smile_phones:
IMG_2023-3-13-135830.JPG

I opted for the oak understatement version this time having a very nice puristic look & feel to it.
Listening now on Gustard X26 ProHeadAmp GS-X mini / Cayin HA-3A and Questyle CMA Fifteen, no clear winner yet!

Mar 13, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #3,663 of 7,458
... another seizure of compulsive buying disorder brought the Caldera home to me, let's see if its a keeper :smile_phones:
IMG_2023-3-13-135830.JPG
I opted for the oak understatement version this time having a very nice puristic look & feel to it.
Listening now on Gustard X26 ProHeadAmp GS-X mini / Cayin HA-3A and Questyle CMA Fifteen, no clear winner yet!

What's the headphone stand? Match really well with the Caldera wood.

Mar 13, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #3,664 of 7,458
What's the headphone stand? Match really well with the Caldera wood.
That stand is hand made by an Austrian company named Oquetlupuc - a different kind of oak but matches very well indeed.

Mar 13, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #3,666 of 7,458
That stand is hand made by an Austrian company named Oquetlupuc - a different kind of oak but matches very well indeed.
Damn, I don't even dare to try spell the name with my lips lol. Will search more about them, looks beautiful.
I think that word is Quechua or Aymara. My dad probably knows (since he speaks Quechua), I’ll ask him later today.

Mar 13, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #3,668 of 7,458
Funny enough today I was listening to them for a couple hours and something just sounded off. I took them off to go do something and when I came back and looked at them I realized the pads were backwards. Anyway, not a good sound to roll your pads backwards fyi.
I was listening to a headphone recently--and realized my head was backward.

(not easy to fix)

Mar 13, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #3,669 of 7,458
I was listening to a headphone recently--and realized my head was backward.

(not easy to fix)

But something still sounded off.............until you noticed a cake full of earwax sticking out of your ears....

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #3,671 of 7,458
Just got my Caldera today and gave it a good listen with a Topping Stack. What threw me off a little was the very slight recessed mids than what I was used to with the VO/VC and HD650. But the more I listened to the Caldera the more I was impressed by the soundstage depth, bass, clarity and speed, the lowered mids didn't bother me that much afterwards as I heard a much bigger soundstage than I've ever heard.

One thing that still bothers me a little is the treble has a slight bite to it, I have to figure how to ease the treble a little, should I switch to a different pad without sacrificing too much dynamics (I'm using Stock rn) or maybe look for a warmer amp?
I'm currently using a Topping D90D which I know probably doesn't help with the treble.........but would anyone recommend the V281 or Ferrum Stack for the Calderas? I heard that these amps have plenty of power and have slight coloration which could help tame the treble on my Calderas a bit.

Mar 15, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #3,672 of 7,458
Just got my Caldera today and gave it a good listen with a Topping Stack. What threw me off a little was the very slight recessed mids than what I was used to with the VO/VC and HD650. But the more I listened to the Caldera the more I was impressed by the soundstage depth, bass, clarity and speed, the lowered mids didn't bother me that much afterwards as I heard a much bigger soundstage than I've ever heard.

One thing that still bothers me a little is the treble has a slight bite to it, I have to figure how to ease the treble a little, should I switch to a different pad without sacrificing too much dynamics (I'm using Stock rn) or maybe look for a warmer amp?
I'm currently using a Topping D90D which I know probably doesn't help with the treble.........but would anyone recommend the V281 or Ferrum Stack for the Calderas? I heard that these amps have plenty of power and have slight coloration which could help tame the treble on my Calderas a bit.
I would definitely buy the Mantle mesh from the ZMF website first. I had the same problem with the treble, but after installing the mesh, the treble smoothened out just enough, for me at least. I've been using the Suede pads mainly nowadays.

Mar 15, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #3,673 of 7,458
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 15, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #3,674 of 7,458

Not sure how the Topping pairs, but also let it burn in some. The treble on the Caldera is brighter and more detailed than the VC I have. If after it burns in you are still feeling it is a touch harsh try to Mantle Mesh for 20 bucks. That could tame it on your current system.

Damn, I literally wrote this at the same time @zach915m lol.

Mar 15, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #3,675 of 7,458
.but would anyone recommend the V281 or Ferrum Stack for the Calderas?
The v281 is pretty hard to come by these days. I had a WTB ad out for around six weeks and not a single bite, though I did see one in the classifieds last week, but by then I had already picked up the V550 pro, which isn't as warm sounding as the v281. Still, I'm not experiencing any 'bite' in the upper frequencies with the Caldera.

The current Violectric amp that sounds closest to the discontinued v281 is the v202. I have no experience with the Ferrum stack.

You also might consider switching to a R2R DAC for a warmer sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back