ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Mar 15, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #3,676 of 7,229
I heard that these amps have plenty of power
Look no further than Wells Milo for power as well. Those amps are built for planars and the lower gain versions sound great on dynamics as well.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 15, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #3,677 of 7,229
Thanks everyone and @zach915m for the suggestions, obvious option for me is to try the mantle mesh first.

Topping stack is known for its punchiness but also an almost cold surgical/analytical tuning. Almost reminds me of the Focal house sound for their headphones. It would appear that the second option would be to get a warmer amp for the Caldera.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #3,678 of 7,229
Thanks everyone and @zach915m for the suggestions, obvious option for me is to try the mantle mesh first.

Topping stack is known for its punchiness but also an almost cold surgical/analytical tuning. Almost reminds me of the Focal house sound for their headphones. It would appear that the second option would be to get a warmer amp for the Caldera.

Thanks again!
If you end up going for a "warmer" amp remember that people often use the term "warm" to describe pronounced bass and lower mid-range frequencies, rather than reduced treble frequencies for which I think "dark" is the correct term.

I'm telling you this because I used to think that "warmer" means less treble, but when people described the Meze Empyrean as a warm sounding headphone, I was surprised when testing it, because the treble frequencies were actually pretty pronounced and somewhat piercing to me.

I think DMS explained it very clearly in this video:

Mar 15, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #3,679 of 7,229
Just got my Caldera today and gave it a good listen with a Topping Stack. What threw me off a little was the very slight recessed mids than what I was used to with the VO/VC and HD650. But the more I listened to the Caldera the more I was impressed by the soundstage depth, bass, clarity and speed, the lowered mids didn't bother me that much afterwards as I heard a much bigger soundstage than I've ever heard.

One thing that still bothers me a little is the treble has a slight bite to it, I have to figure how to ease the treble a little, should I switch to a different pad without sacrificing too much dynamics (I'm using Stock rn) or maybe look for a warmer amp?
I'm currently using a Topping D90D which I know probably doesn't help with the treble.........but would anyone recommend the V281 or Ferrum Stack for the Calderas? I heard that these amps have plenty of power and have slight coloration which could help tame the treble on my Calderas a bit.
First of all, i am very treble sensetiv.

Got the same „problem“ with the mids, wasn‘t my friend at first time, i think you have to give the Caldera some time, first i had RME DAC and Violectric, after couple of weeks i switched to Holo Spring 3 KTE DAC, a big step, but no problems with treble.
Give the Caldera some time and you will see what‘s going on.

Mar 15, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #3,680 of 7,229
Just got my Caldera today and gave it a good listen with a Topping Stack. What threw me off a little was the very slight recessed mids than what I was used to with the VO/VC and HD650. But the more I listened to the Caldera the more I was impressed by the soundstage depth, bass, clarity and speed, the lowered mids didn't bother me that much afterwards as I heard a much bigger soundstage than I've ever heard.

One thing that still bothers me a little is the treble has a slight bite to it, I have to figure how to ease the treble a little, should I switch to a different pad without sacrificing too much dynamics (I'm using Stock rn) or maybe look for a warmer amp?
I'm currently using a Topping D90D which I know probably doesn't help with the treble.........but would anyone recommend the V281 or Ferrum Stack for the Calderas? I heard that these amps have plenty of power and have slight coloration which could help tame the treble on my Calderas a bit.

A TC tube amp may be another option. But I’d never start with the mesh..

Mar 15, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #3,681 of 7,229
If you end up going for a "warmer" amp remember that people often use the term "warm" to describe pronounced bass and lower mid-range frequencies, rather than reduced treble frequencies for which I think "dark" is the correct term.

I'm telling you this because I used to think that "warmer" means less treble, but when people described the Meze Empyrean as a warm sounding headphone, I was surprised when testing it, because the treble frequencies were actually pretty pronounced and somewhat piercing to me.

I think DMS explained it very clearly in this video:

Not to discount your experience but I believe you are the first person I've heard from to consider the Empyrean's as having a pronounced and piercing sound.

So my question would be what chain did you demo them w/?

I purchased a ifi iCan Signature Pro summer 2022. I burned it in for about a good week but unfortunately I had to return it because it made ALL of my cans sound piercing and harsh.

In regards to why some audiophiles might consider a headphone to sound warm is because of frequency balance. If a headphone tends to have a pronounced bass w/ a healthy midrange that will often times blanket/balance (tame) the treble, hence a warmer sound.

https://www.audiophileon.com/news/how-to-describe-sound-an-audiophile-terminology-guide

Dark/Darkness – Usually where the higher frequencies are less prominent.
Warm/warmth – Engaging vocals, bumped mid-bass and clear and lush midrange.

Mar 15, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #3,682 of 7,229
Not to discount your experience but I believe you are the first person I've heard from to consider the Empyrean's as having a pronounced and piercing sound.

So my question would be what chain did you demo them w/?

I purchased a ifi iCan Signature Pro summer 2022. I burned it in for about a good week but unfortunately I had to return it because it made ALL of my cans sound piercing and harsh.

In regards to why some audiophiles might consider a headphone to sound warm is because of frequency balance. If a headphone tends to have a pronounced bass w/ a healthy midrange that will often times blanket/balance (tame) the treble, hence a warmer sound.

https://www.audiophileon.com/news/how-to-describe-sound-an-audiophile-terminology-guide

Dark/Darkness – Usually where the higher frequencies are less prominent.
Warm/warmth – Engaging vocals, bumped mid-bass and clear and lush midrange.
I tested them with my own iFi Micro iDSD Black Label, if I recall correctly. I heard the Empyrean as warmer/thicker but also brighter than my Focal Clear OG back then. My hearing is pretty weird, I guess. :sweat_smile:

But we should probably stick to discussing the Caldera.

Mar 15, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #3,683 of 7,229
Burn-in could help some, too. My suggestion is not to change ANYTHING until after you cross the 150-200 hour mark.
Then, if treble is still not to your liking - get the mantle mesh.

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #3,684 of 7,229
I tested them with my own iFi Micro iDSD Black Label, if I recall correctly. I heard the Empyrean as warmer/thicker but also brighter than my Focal Clear OG back then. My hearing is pretty weird, I guess. :sweat_smile:

But we should probably stick to discussing the Caldera.
Appreciate you providing more info to your experience.

Again I wasn't discounting your experience, you hear what you hear and I wouldn't call that weird.

I realize asking questions especially on the internet can often times come off as an attempt to discredit which was not my intent so the reflex to deflect/defend is the norm but I can assure you that was NOT my intent.

I was a bit curious about the chain as you said "demo".

I've heard of "some" dealers taking a headphone like the Empyrean which are not considered highly resolving and then pairing it on a chain that would emphasize the mid to higher frequencies as to give the illusion that the headphone is more detailed/resolving when in actuality it is not, just as an attempt to get a sale.

and yes we can stick w/ the topic of the Caldera :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #3,685 of 7,229
Burn-in could help some, too. My suggestion is not to change ANYTHING until after you cross the 150-200 hour mark.
Then, if treble is still not to your liking - get the mantle mesh.

Thanks, but I always remain skeptical of burn-in especially on planar magnetic headphones, I'm more of a believer of burn in of the capacitors that are in Amp components and DACs, from my experience if anything is going to change the sound, it is most likely going to be from the amp in terms of presentation.

So it looks like I will need to change the Amp, I don't want to experiment with tubes just yet, what are some powerful SS amps that have great soundstage, warm but with clarity (IS THERE SUCH A THING???) Zach recommended the Wells Milo which looks pretty nice, any other amps to recommend besides the Ferrum stack, Wells Milo and V281?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #3,686 of 7,229
Appreciate you providing more info to your experience.

Again I wasn't discounting your experience, you hear what you hear and I wouldn't call that weird.

I realize asking questions especially on the internet can often times come off as an attempt to discredit which was not my intent so the reflex to deflect/defend is the norm but I can assure you that was NOT my intent.

I was a bit curious about the chain as you said "demo".

I've heard of "some" dealers taking a headphone like the Empyrean which are not considered highly resolving and then pairing it on a chain that would emphasize the mid to higher frequencies as to give the illusion that the headphone is more detailed/resolving when in actuality it is not, just as an attempt to get a sale.

and yes we can stick w/ the topic of the Caldera :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
No worries! I get why you might've been puzzled by my comment. I've noticed that my hearing differs from other people's impressions quite often, especially with the treble.

Mar 15, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #3,687 of 7,229
Thanks, but I always remain skeptical of burn-in especially on planar magnetic headphones, I'm more of a believer of burn in of the capacitors that are in Amp components and DACs, from my experience if anything is going to change the sound, it is most likely going to be from the amp in terms of presentation.

So it looks like I will need to change the Amp, I don't want to experiment with tubes just yet, what are some powerful SS amps that have great soundstage, warm but with clarity (IS THERE SUCH A THING???) Zach recommended the Wells Milo which looks pretty nice, any other amps to recommend besides the Ferrum stack, Wells Milo and V281?
The positive is that if you give some burn in a try it’s totally free! I’m not 100% convinced about it making a big difference either, or if it’s just a mental adjustment, but I did notice a positive difference 2 days in or so. Who knows, could be anything!

After a few days, the next thing I would try is a pad roll. After a few days to a week with the new pads. If the treble is still not to your liking then I would order the mesh.

If all else fails, or if you were in the market anyway and just needed a good reason, then I’d look into a new amp. I found topping a bit sharp myself. There is a thread for amps for zmf headphones where people could give tons of suggestions based on your budget, and I know I’d trust Zach’s recommendations too…I mean, there HIS headphones!

Mar 15, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #3,688 of 7,229
Mar 15, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #3,689 of 7,229
The positive is that if you give some burn in a try it’s totally free! I’m not 100% convinced about it making a big difference either, or if it’s just a mental adjustment, but I did notice a positive difference 2 days in or so. Who knows, could be anything!

After a few days, the next thing I would try is a pad roll. After a few days to a week with the new pads. If the treble is still not to your liking then I would order the mesh.

If all else fails, or if you were in the market anyway and just needed a good reason, then I’d look into a new amp. I found topping a bit sharp myself. There is a thread for amps for zmf headphones where people could give tons of suggestions based on your budget, and I know I’d trust Zach’s recommendations too…I mean, there HIS headphones!

Wait a minute.... Isn't it possible to pad roll with non-Caldera pads? Like say for instance I could use the BE2 Perf Pads that I loved on the VO?

Mar 15, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #3,690 of 7,229
Wait a minute.... Isn't it possible to pad roll with non-Caldera pads? Like say for instance I could use the BE2 Perf Pads that I loved on the VO?
You can, but I didn't really enjoy any of the other pads on Caldera. The suede pads will smooth things out, but you lose a little impact in the bass. The Mantle Mesh is pretty great at smoothing the top end without being overly subtractive. I think while you search for your perfect gear synergy you'd enjoy it. It just sticks on so you can always take it off. For 20 bucks it is an easy test. It does much more rolling off of the bright stuff than pad swapping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back