ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Mar 16, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #3,706 of 7,069
Hello everyone, I'm new here :raised_hand:.

Just wanted to say thank you for everyone in this thread. Thanks for posting pictures, thanks for posting impressions, advice on amps, pads, mesh for treble sensitivity, everything. I've learned a lot and I can't wait to compare what I've come to understand about the Caldera with what I actually hear. I must have read 100's of pages at this point and have been checking in every night eagerly hoping for new impressions comments. Seriously thanks again. It turns out if you search for "ZMF Caldera" and you sort by the last 24 hours like I've been doing :)sweat_smile:) this is pretty much the place to be if you want an alive discussion of this headphone as it starts to propogate throughout the community.

I too am nearly overflowing with hype waiting for my Caldera to ship, so I bring some empathy. I've been waiting for over a month myself. Before people think that has anything to do with ZMF, it doesn't, I actually was in contact with a buyer for a used Caldera and I ended up getting led on for ~ 3 weeks before I finally stood up for myself and said enough was enough. After believing in my heart I was going to get a used one, sent to my house the next day skipping the build phase, then 3 weeks of that torture, only then did I start my journey by actually buying one from ZMF. So, no fault of ZMF it's been that long for me. It's my fault or perhaps the universe's. Either way, I ordered the caldera (standard wood, grill) 2.5 weeks ago and so I'm well within the 2-4 weeks on the website. I'm just praying I'm one of the lucky ones.

You know, it's just hard sometimes to be patient.

But thanks again for all the content, you guys rock 🤘

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #3,707 of 7,069
My Redheart is finally on its way to my vendor, should have it net week, cant wait to try it with Bliss, May and Ha-3a :)

Congrats, when did you order?

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #3,708 of 7,069
Congrats, when did you order?
The announcement day, was waiting for LTD Caldera to show up and Redheart nailed it for me design-wise. But yeah considering the date of purchase its quite a long wait on my end, purchasing from local vendors and not directly has its caviats.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #3,709 of 7,069
I just received a reply from Bevin about my mantle mesh order (to be combined w/ my Redheart shipment) which was from last Weds. Based on her response I gather they probably had a very busy week. As someone who has worked in a studio environment w/ a small team I can relate to timelines / due dates and how things can sometimes get a bit overwhelming. So I'm going to wait until next Tue (21st) before I email them for an update on my Caldera.

EDIT: Order date Feb 9th

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #3,710 of 7,069
I just received a reply from Bevin about my mantle mesh order (to be combined w/ my Redheart shipment) which was from last Weds. Based on her response I gather they probably had a very busy week. As someone who has worked in a studio environment w/ a small team I can relate to timelines / due dates and how things can sometimes get a bit overwhelming. So I'm going to wait until next Tue (21st) before I email them for an update on my Caldera.

I think that sounds like a very reasonable plan and a very kind approach. I get the sense they were very popular at CanJam, which I think we can all be happy for them, but do have to realize that it also may mean things might be a bit crazy or delayed right now.

It's funny, I've emailed for an update (at the beginning of this week), which they were very kind to give, but I almost felt like I shouldn't really be doing that at all. It comes when it comes. That is what I'm trying to tell myself. I know they are good for it and I know they will send it when they can and I know it will be awesome. I hold that belief completely. And also... I get impatient sometimes and I just want a sliver more of information even though I know it doesn't matter. It's a personal failing, but hey, we are all human.

Mar 16, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #3,711 of 7,069
My Redheart is finally on its way to my vendor, should have it net week, cant wait to try it with Bliss, May and Ha-3a :)

Also, what's making the wait worse, cause I did listen to Caldera on these other systems from the vendor/dealer, and it really makes me wonder how it is going to scale with my/our systems :)

By the way, that T+A DAC 200, seen a video review of it from someone who considered May the best thing since sliced bread, Anadialogue or whatever his channel name.
Apparently, T+A DAC 200 is a big step up from it, for about the same money, hmmm....

Mar 16, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #3,713 of 7,069
@Alenotta Love your profile picture, it's memorable. I've seen you around on nearly everything Caldera, from forums to YouTube reviews in the comments. You must really love the Caldera, Zach should remember you. You may be the single hardest proselytizer of the Calder that there is right now. That's awesome man, good for you. I've really appreciated how you welcomed anyone and everyone who enjoyed the Caldera and have tried to help people tune it to their liking.

Mind if I ask some questions?
  1. Would you say the Caldera is your favorite headphone? I know favorite is a very hard question, but I'm curious about your thoughts.
  2. What other headphones have you owned in the past and enjoyed?
  3. Forgive me if I didn't connect this before if you've already written about it but what is your chain (source -> dac -> amp -> cable -> earpads (stock?))
  4. Do you use these headphones for any media outside of Music? Are they any good for that? I know people's main use is for music, which I totally understand, but I come from a totally different background of wanting a really high-end headphones for everything I do on my computer (gaming, movies, watching youtube, heck.. even work calls despite how awful zoom sounds lul). Could the Caldera's be a good choice for that, do you think?
Don't mean to grill, just curious.
Hope you are well,
iCoy

Mar 16, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #3,714 of 7,069
Do you use these headphones for any media outside of Music? Are they any good for that? I know people's main use is for music, which I totally understand, but I come from a totally different background of wanting a really high-end headphones for everything I do on my computer (gaming, movies, watching youtube, heck.. even work calls despite how awful zoom sounds lul). Could the Caldera's be a good choice for that, do you think?

I'm also interested in this and will probably be able to answer this as I'm also using headphones for everything except for when I have the time to turn on my decent speakers :D

But I bet it's gonna be great for the rest of the media

Mar 16, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #3,715 of 7,069
@Alenotta Love your profile picture, it's memorable. I've seen you around on nearly everything Caldera, from forums to YouTube reviews in the comments. You must really love the Caldera, Zach should remember you. You may be the single hardest proselytizer of the Calder that there is right now. That's awesome man, good for you. I've really appreciated how you welcomed anyone and everyone who enjoyed the Caldera and have tried to help people tune it to their liking.

Mind if I ask some questions?
  1. Would you say the Caldera is your favorite headphone? I know favorite is a very hard question, but I'm curious about your thoughts.
  2. What other headphones have you owned in the past and enjoyed?
  3. Forgive me if I didn't connect this before if you've already written about it but what is your chain (source -> dac -> amp -> cable -> earpads (stock?))
  4. Do you use these headphones for any media outside of Music? Are they any good for that? I know people's main use is for music, which I totally understand, but I come from a totally different background of wanting a really high-end headphones for everything I do on my computer (gaming, movies, watching youtube, heck.. even work calls despite how awful zoom sounds lul). Could the Caldera's be a good choice for that, do you think?
Don't mean to grill, just curious.
Hope you are well,
iCoy
Haha I guess I've been on the voluntary Caldera street team. I love these headphones. I heard them at CanJam SoCal and bought them immediately. I'm not made of money or anything so that is a big endorsement.

1. Yeah, currently Caldera is my favorite headphone. I think it has one of the most unique tunings for a planar. Out of planars I've liked Meze and RAD 0 warm tuning. I haven't tried the Final Audio stuff, but I imagine I may like that too. I don't like neutral or analytical tuning.
2. I used to be really into Grados originally. I started getting more into headphones at the start of the pandemic with nothing to do but sit at my desk and work. I originally got the Drop Aeon Closed RTs and really liked them. Then I went Ether 2 which I also really enjoyed, but they probably have the most unique tuning out of a planar. Then went to VC for closed which is excellent. Picked up a used Meze Empyrean on here because I preferred the richer tuning of the Empyrean to the Elite after testing them locally. Picked up a 6xx for a nice mid-centric sennheiser. Caldera obviously. Lastly, I picked up a Grado Hemp for old times sake. As you can probably tell from that list I prefer rich euphonic tunings. I don't like veiled treble much though.
3. My current chain is Mac - Gustard R26 - HA 300mk II. Previously I was using a SMSL m400 to Cap modded liquid platinum. The R26 has a nice spacious sound and the 300b really tubes it up. Caldera sounds good on all impedance settings on the amp.
4. I use these headphones for everything really. They are great for editing audio because they are so detailed. I'm an editor by trade, so I can vouch for them in a professional use-case. Caldera is good for gaming, but if you want it turned up loud running it straight out of a control may not drive it too well. It does drive it to workable volumes I can confirm. Youtube sure. It will unfortunately reveal all the intricacies of how terrible the Zoom audio is haha. They are very revealing.

Hit me up if you have any more questions! I'm obviously a ZMF fanboy. I respect both the amazing craftsmanship of the headphones and the A+ quality of the people running the company.

Mar 16, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #3,716 of 7,069
Haha I guess I've been on the voluntary Caldera street team. I love these headphones. I heard them at CanJam SoCal and bought them immediately. I'm not made of money or anything so that is a big endorsement.

1. Yeah, currently Caldera is my favorite headphone. I think it has one of the most unique tunings for a planar. Out of planars I've liked Meze and RAD 0 warm tuning. I haven't tried the Final Audio stuff, but I imagine I may like that too. I don't like neutral or analytical tuning.
2. I used to be really into Grados originally. I started getting more into headphones at the start of the pandemic with nothing to do but sit at my desk and work. I originally got the Drop Aeon Closed RTs and really liked them. Then I went Ether 2 which I also really enjoyed, but they probably have the most unique tuning out of a planar. Then went to VC for closed which is excellent. Picked up a used Meze Empyrean on here because I preferred the richer tuning of the Empyrean to the Elite after testing them locally. Picked up a 6xx for a nice mid-centric sennheiser. Caldera obviously. Lastly, I picked up a Grado Hemp for old times sake. As you can probably tell from that list I prefer rich euphonic tunings. I don't like veiled treble much though.
3. My current chain is Mac - Gustard R26 - HA 300mk II. Previously I was using a SMSL m400 to Cap modded liquid platinum. The R26 has a nice spacious sound and the 300b really tubes it up. Caldera sounds good on all impedance settings on the amp.
4. I use these headphones for everything really. They are great for editing audio because they are so detailed. I'm an editor by trade, so I can vouch for them in a professional use-case. Caldera is good for gaming, but if you want it turned up loud running it straight out of a control may not drive it too well. It does drive it to workable volumes I can confirm. Youtube sure. It will unfortunately reveal all the intricacies of how terrible the Zoom audio is haha. They are very revealing.

Hit me up if you have any more questions! I'm obviously a ZMF fanboy. I respect both the amazing craftsmanship of the headphones and the A+ quality of the people running the company.

Thank you so much for this write-up. It gives me a much better sense of where you come from and I appreciate that. It's also giving me more faith in the Calderas which is always an exciting prospect for me personally.

It's very cool that you can vouch for them for editing, I edit audio as a hobby for my podcast (which is what got me into audio because it was the first thing I tried with all my might and failed miserably. It was humbling. Don't get me wrong, I'm good at some things, bad at some things, but I tried with every fiber of my being to make our podcast sound good and I failed for literal years. In those years I was learning how to hear critically and after that I just love high-end audio full stop)

A bit of a tangent on editing specifically, I've been thinking about high-end headphones and their value for editing. Being that, well, most people won't experience them on that so that might suggest it secretly wouldn't be that good. But you use them, right? Is it that they are more revealing and resolving so you can hear what you are doing better? I believe I experienced a noticeable improvement in my podcast mixes jumping from A. Computer Desktop Speakers (shudder) B. 650 C. 800s. Each a noticable step, but where I started to feel semi-consistent with the 800s. Still though, I've been nervous about jumping to a better headphone than that because I'm afraid that we are starting to get into "flavored" territory and things will sound nice to me, but not in my mixes when others listen. Seems like you can confidently say that isn't what I should be worried about. Fair?

Looking at your headphone preferences, I think we align beautifully on rich euphonic tunings. I also trialed the Meze Empyrean and loved the bloomy base as opposed to the more controlled but less "experiential" elites which everyone else seems to prefer. Before that I had gone down the rabbit hole of "analytical means you can do editing better" and I wouldn't claim to be the expert but I got the sense you should instead find headphones you enjoy (within reason tuning wise) and then learn what they sound like through pure hours using them. Let your brain do the EQ if it were. Is this something you believe as well?

So let me ask you this too, do you use multiple headphones and do you worry that by switching headphones all the time you run the risk of losing your grasp of subtleties as you readjust? I know that I was outputting my best work when I only listened to one headphone for everything and I've become a bit nervous that by pursuing that "one" headphone and trying so many things out I'm kinda eroding my brain burn in editing wise.

Lastly, I have nothing to say on the AMP/DAC front yet but mark my words I'm going to consider that when the time to change/improve my chain comes around

Thanks for taking the time! :pray:

Mar 16, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #3,717 of 7,069
Thank you so much for this write-up. It gives me a much better sense of where you come from and I appreciate that. It's also giving me more faith in the Calderas which is always an exciting prospect for me personally.

It's very cool that you can vouch for them for editing, I edit audio as a hobby for my podcast (which is what got me into audio because it was the first thing I tried with all my might and failed miserably. It was humbling. Don't get me wrong, I'm good at some things, bad at some things, but I tried with every fiber of my being to make our podcast sound good and I failed for literal years. In those years I was learning how to hear critically and after that I just love high-end audio full stop)

A bit of a tangent on editing specifically, I've been thinking about high-end headphones and their value for editing. Being that, well, most people won't experience them on that so that might suggest it secretly wouldn't be that good. But you use them, right? Is it that they are more revealing and resolving so you can hear what you are doing better? I believe I experienced a noticeable improvement in my podcast mixes jumping from A. Computer Desktop Speakers (shudder) B. 650 C. 800s. Each a noticable step, but where I started to feel semi-consistent with the 800s. Still though, I've been nervous about jumping to a better headphone than that because I'm afraid that we are starting to get into "flavored" territory and things will sound nice to me, but not in my mixes when others listen. Seems like you can confidently say that isn't what I should be worried about. Fair?

Looking at your headphone preferences, I think we align beautifully on rich euphonic tunings. I also trialed the Meze Empyrean and loved the bloomy base as opposed to the more controlled but less "experiential" elites which everyone else seems to prefer. Before that I had gone down the rabbit hole of "analytical means you can do editing better" and I wouldn't claim to be the expert but I got the sense you should instead find headphones you enjoy (within reason tuning wise) and then learn what they sound like through pure hours using them. Let your brain do the EQ if it were. Is this something you believe as well?

So let me ask you this too, do you use multiple headphones and do you worry that by switching headphones all the time you run the risk of losing your grasp of subtleties as you readjust? I know that I was outputting my best work when I only listened to one headphone for everything and I've become a bit nervous that by pursuing that "one" headphone and trying so many things out I'm kinda eroding my brain burn in editing wise.

Lastly, I have nothing to say on the AMP/DAC front yet but mark my words I'm going to consider that when the time to change/improve my chain comes around

Thanks for taking the time! :pray:
Yeah I'm right there with you on that warmer, but not veiled sound. I think you are ok editing as long as the headphone is detailed and not skewing too far into a colored tone. You can always check it against different headphones as you go. It's useful to check it on things actual people will hear it on such as AirPods pros etc. I think the Caldera is neutral enough to be good for editing. It also is very revealing for better or worse in your editing. You may hear a buzz on your mic you never noticed before haha.

For brain burn in I sort of consider it reset after a few minutes of not listening. I don't think there is a lasting effect. Sort of like when you stare at one of those trippy hypnotic spinning visuals that makes your brain see swirly things lol. It resets itself pretty quickly. It is good to have reference points though like your HD800s and 650s. You sort of know how things will sound on each after a while. The 650s may lead you to mix the vocals back with a cooler tone. Then you listen on your 800s and you're like oh weird why did I cool them off this much etc. Caldera has the soul of the 650s, but is more neutral in a lot of ways. The vocal mids on the 650s are more forward.

I'm not sure your position on tube vs solid state, but I do really like the Caldera on this tube amp. Zach has warned against OTL, but with SET amps it is really nice and holographic. Solid state is great for fast attack.

Here is my desktop ZMF shrine. Hoping to add some ACs to it soonish...

Attachments

• DSC01251.jpg
    DSC01251.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC01257.jpg
    DSC01257.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC01268.jpg
    DSC01268.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 16, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #3,718 of 7,069
I find the Caldera excellent for gaming and media. I use them for movies quite a bit. There is a good amount of accurate, precise sound placement which helps everything.

Mar 16, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #3,719 of 7,069
Yeah I'm right there with you on that warmer, but not veiled sound. I think you are ok editing as long as the headphone is detailed and not skewing too far into a colored tone. You can always check it against different headphones as you go. It's useful to check it on things actual people will hear it on such as AirPods pros etc. I think the Caldera is neutral enough to be good for editing. It also is very revealing for better or worse in your editing. You may hear a buzz on your mic you never noticed before haha.

For brain burn in I sort of consider it reset after a few minutes of not listening. I don't think there is a lasting effect. Sort of like when you stare at one of those trippy hypnotic spinning visuals that makes your brain see swirly things lol. It resets itself pretty quickly. It is good to have reference points though like your HD800s and 650s. You sort of know how things will sound on each after a while. The 650s may lead you to mix the vocals back with a cooler tone. Then you listen on your 800s and you're like oh weird why did I cool them off this much etc. Caldera has the soul of the 650s, but is more neutral in a lot of ways. The vocal mids on the 650s are more forward.

I'm not sure your position on tube vs solid state, but I do really like the Caldera on this tube amp. Zach has warned against OTL, but with SET amps it is really nice and holographic. Solid state is great for fast attack.

Here is my desktop ZMF shrine. Hoping to add some ACs to it soonish...

Wow, beautiful and well-shot. Hard to go wrong with that :D

You know, on the amp front, I've never tried anything other than Solid State. I feel like, with audio, it's been a series of "Ok, well this factor may matter but I kinda don't want to approach it yet until it makes sense... and like I probably can't afford to approach it yet lul" situations.

It's kinda funny to think back at the steps and how I used to feel about each of them. Notably, I was never a disbeliever, but I just was only able to wrap my mind around each piece once I had come to understand the previous's value and I had spent some more time accumulating money.

Like unironically I remember hoping I didn't need to get into:
  1. Headphone Amps
    1. Like why should this matter, it's plenty loud as it is out of my cheap all-in-one audio interface for my microphone. Ok, just in case, I think I'll get a $200 amp because a YouTuber told me it was good just to try it.
  2. DACs
    1. Ok, well it turns out you get more "Quality" of sound at the same volume with a Headphone Amp. Volume wasn't the thing, it was more like the concept of "texture". It's cool, but that's the thing that powers them, so maybe that matters somewhat, but what about DACs. Does windows really do that bad of a job Digitally Converting Audio? Surely all signals out of the computer would be the same right?
  3. Source Quality
    1. Ok, well I'm noticing that there are pretty drastic "flavor" differences between DACs. They may not be drastic in measurement, but they are drastic in feel. Some just sound so flat, or so off. So maybe they don't do amazing things but maybe they could be bad or not to my preference if I got the wrong one. But like that's all well and good but I've been listening to music on YouTube my whole life and I've loved every moment of it. Surely there are bad recordings or uploads on there, but like when a song is put up by the artist or a professional it sounds good right.
  4. Levels to the things I've already accepted
    1. Ok, so it does turn out that if you get a really high-quality file even from a streaming service, it sounds a lot clearer. This is starting to get fun, I feel like I can hear so much more. I'm constantly hearing things I hadn't heard before. Ok, but like I've got a cheap Amp and DAC and people on YouTube told me they were "Great" so I guess I'm done right?
  5. Earpads
    1. Ok, so I went to a local audio store and they were trying to sell me on a >$1000 headphone amp (Moon 230 HAD). And that's like a lot of money to put on this. That's like 3 PlayStations or something. Like it's starting to get silly. But... The scale and sheer size I heard from that thing was something I couldn't get off my mind. Again, it's all the same song, but it's bigger. Grander. More epic. I'm loving that. Plus there is a darker mysterious quality to the sound. It's perfect for what I like. Ok, I can accept all this. But like why do earpads matter. This has got to stop. Most headphones only come with one earpad. And you either like the way the entire thing sounds, or you don't. People seem to be able to tun headphones to have plenty of detail with comfy suede pads so why all the fuss?
  6. Cables
    1. Ok, so I bought a ZMF Atrium and it turns out that since you get two pads you might as well try another. Plus all the reviewers won't stop touting that they found the perfect pad for it (mostly different although there is some alignment). I guess I get the stock and one a reviewer mentioned.
    2. Ok, so it turns out that changes a LOT. And can really mess things up for you if you choose the wrong one. All of a sudden the weight drops out of the sound and it's just harsh, but then you get the right ones (for me the Auteur Leather) just added this layer of darkness/mysteriousness. Just the same as that amp did. It's got me hanging on every note. Well ok then. But surely cables don't matter too much though right?
And it just goes on. I've learned that cables matter a lot too, like it all does, and it's been fascinating to look at Reddit and see the consensus that cables don't matter prevail and yet to be confronted with my own personal experience that simply doesn't exist in the same universe as that.

I think this was my long way of saying, when it comes to Tube Vs Solid State, I have no position. Other than I think I would probably like it and I think it's next on my list to try. One of my fears is that it would be "less accurate" to edit on, but you know, maybe that isn't real either.

Mar 16, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #3,720 of 7,069
Wow, beautiful and well-shot. Hard to go wrong with that :D
Thanks!
Yeah agree with all of your findings. I went on a similar path of denial and exploration. I still don't have an expensive power conditioner or cable...that is my next experiment.

You forgot fuses too. That is another rabbit hole.

Tubes just give you the flexibility to change up your sound dramatically with rolling. It adds a new level of madness tho. The harmonic distortion introduced can be addictive. The trade off is not often getting a totally black background free of noise. I just got a Nitsch / Schiit Piety amp recently which is a fun/inexpensive/rare little solid state that has a tube-ish flavor. I'm a proponent of amp makers going for character over analytical accuracy. I'm always chasing the feeling of hearing real music vs what is absolutely "true" to the recording.

I hope you get to check out the Caldera soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back