ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Mar 17, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #3,722 of 7,069
Hey all! I saw the Liquid platinum on sale and was wondering if anyone had any experience pairing it with the caldera and how good a combo it is. I'm using the Asgard 3 and was wondering if it would be an upgrade for the caldera.
It is nice. LP has a lot of power, but retains some tube goodness. I definitely recommend the cap mod for speed and clarity. I also tended to prefer gold lions in mine because have nice dynamic range. It has been a second since I used it with the Caldera, but I was enjoying it for sure. I should test it again for fun...

Mar 17, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #3,723 of 7,069
Sexy looking cans btw.

One of these days I hope the VO or the AO will have an LTD with jade green with 24k color gold hardware.

Oh God what can't we have the option to select the wood/color as well as the metal hardware 😭
Thanks! I have dreams of a bring your own block it would be cool if there were requirements for the block and we could buy or pick out the block, the metal hardware and have a fully customizable headphone. The other one I would suggest is if you are looking at picking one up it's a great shopping experience at can jam because you can see and handle the exact headphones and if you get there early on the first day you have a wide range to choose from (and no build time wait).
For some reason actually i quite like the pairing of Verite Open and Hugo 2 (even though Hugo 2 has extremely low imepedance output), the tonality become very balance, clarity is there, punch is there, and liquid full body vocal is nice. Been a while since I sold my Hugo 2, so not able to tested it with Caldera.

With Chord TT2, Caldera is a true winner when compared to VO.

Gorgeous Kingwood btw!

Thanks and I totally agree with the chord gear, it seems to get a bad rap with ZMF's because of the low impedance so I don't usually suggest it to people as I'm never sure what they would prefer but I love the VO to have a tight and punchy sound so I always thought that fed into one of the strengths of the Verite. Also really love the TT2 with both the Caldera and VO, the TT2 has great detail and clarity but is just slightly warm so it does really nice things with the midrange of both the Caldera and VO. I still prefer the VO on tubes but the TT2 is really close there but with the Caldera I prefer it on the TT2 vs any of my other amps.

Mar 17, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #3,724 of 7,069
For some reason actually i quite like the pairing of Verite Open and Hugo 2 (even though Hugo 2 has extremely low imepedance output), the tonality become very balance, clarity is there, punch is there, and liquid full body vocal is nice. Been a while since I sold my Hugo 2, so not able to tested it with Caldera.

With Chord TT2, Caldera is a true winner when compared to VO.

Gorgeous Kingwood btw!
I did too when I still had a Hugo 2, more I think than with the TT2. Mine's gone but I have a Hugo 1 and had to use it during a long power outage last week. It was quite wonderful with the Caldera! Had no trouble powering it, just lacked the detail of more resolving DACs and amps. I'd be curious to hear Caldera on a TT2, which I sold before I got the Caldera. While I enjoyed my Chord products directly even with ZMFs, I think they're far better as DACs to tube amps instead of also using the built in amp.

Mar 17, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #3,725 of 7,069
Also, what's making the wait worse, cause I did listen to Caldera on these other systems from the vendor/dealer, and it really makes me wonder how it is going to scale with my/our systems :)

By the way, that T+A DAC 200, seen a video review of it from someone who considered May the best thing since sliced bread, Anadialogue or whatever his channel name.
Apparently, T+A DAC 200 is a big step up from it, for about the same money, hmmm....
Yeah same, cant wait!

And yep, I saw that review, wouldnt worry about it too much, the dude doesnt seem very consistent in his opinions, seems like the regular "oh the next big thing- youtube reviewer". Earlier he was like never again delta sigma and R2R is the only way. There many very conflicting reviews on web regarding may, for the crowd around golden sound its the holy grail, for others its inferior to Wavelight, for someone its better than Wavedream.
In the end all of those are very subjective opinions, unless I personally like the T+A DAC 200 much better I am likely to stay with May for years to come, the dac was probably my most substential upgrade in the recent memory, it sounds terrific. But ye looking forward to try T+A DAC 200, Rockna Wavedream and Terminator one day though. For now I am done upgrading the chain and plan to focus on new headphones / speakers :)

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #3,726 of 7,069
I hope you get to check out the Caldera soon!

Thank you. The universe will smile more on me now that you have said that. Perhaps I'll be one of the lucky ones and it will come next week as a result!

I say this to myself and to everyone who has been scouring these forums every day while they wait for their Caldera, when we are comfortable sharing, I think we all owe this forum an impression/review.

I know I'll read it and I'll be there waiting with a thumbs up. Good luck everyone! Soon!

Mar 17, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #3,727 of 7,069
Thank you. The universe will smile more on me now that you have said that. Perhaps I'll be one of the lucky ones and it will come next week as a result!

I say this to myself and to everyone who has been scouring these forums every day while they wait for their Caldera, when we are comfortable sharing, I think we all owe this forum an impression/review.

I know I'll read it and I'll be there waiting with a thumbs up. Good luck everyone! Soon!
It does appear that several of us are awaiting our Caldera's any day now. Curious who will be the first?
ZELDA-CALDERA.png

Mar 17, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #3,728 of 7,069
Mine arrived this afternoon. I appreciate that ZMF were able to accommodate my request for the black chassis (the ruby wasn't for me). I also love that the redheart looks more natural and less fluorescent in person compared to the ZMF stock photos and videos. The gloss finish really makes them pop though. I only have about five minutes of listening time but this sound signature is right up my alley. It is going to be a late night :darthsmile:

PXL_20230317_195647625.PORTRAIT.jpg

Mar 17, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #3,729 of 7,069
Caldera came in today. Sadly a very stressful day, so I didnt have much time to apreciate this beauty nor taking good pictures.

Its more linear than I expected from the feedback here. This Resolution is very new to me. What a lovely new way to enjoy your music.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #3,730 of 7,069
Mine arrived this afternoon. I appreciate that ZMF were able to accommodate my request for the black chassis (the ruby wasn't for me). I also love that the redheart looks more natural and less fluorescent in person compared to the ZMF stock photos and videos. The gloss finish really makes them pop though. I only have about five minutes of listening time but this sound signature is right up my alley. It is going to be a late night :darthsmile:

Did Zach send you a tracking # to be expected today or did they just arrive unexpectedly?
I was told mine would ship this week but have not received any tracking info.

Mar 17, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #3,731 of 7,069
Did Zach send you a tracking # to be expected today or did they just arrive unexpectedly?
I was told mine would ship this week but have not received any tracking info.
I hadn't had any communication with them- I have learned to embrace the wait. I received a shipping confirmation earlier this week with my tracking number.

Mar 17, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #3,732 of 7,069

Love the Black Chassis with the red. Really nice call there

They are starting to come in! That's two just today. Pretty hype.

That being said, I do think tracking info will be there first. I believe they have a mandatory "you must sign for this" policy for something so expensive and time-consuming to make.

Mar 17, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #3,733 of 7,069
It does appear that several of us are awaiting our Caldera's any day now. Curious who will be the first?
ZELDA-CALDERA.png

LOL, nice picture. This is how it goes in my mind, sound effects and all. I'm reposting this image when it comes for me. 100%

Mar 17, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #3,734 of 7,069
One thing that is a bit odd is the new bull strap. It looks amazing, but it is thick, heavy-duty leather compared to the regular soft and compliant leather strap that goes under the padded Crescent headband. As you can see the bull strap seems a touch shorter as well so the Crescent strap nubbies aren't actually touching my head. I am not sure if this is by design or if mine is just short. I am getting a hot spot on the top of my head from the bull-strap. I will likely order a regular strap to replace this one.

PXL_20230317_204231729.jpg

Mar 17, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #3,735 of 7,069
One thing that is a bit odd is the new bull strap. It looks amazing, but it is thick, heavy-duty leather compared to the regular soft and compliant leather strap that goes under the padded Crescent headband. As you can see the bull strap seems a touch shorter as well so the Crescent strap nubbies aren't actually touching my head. I am not sure if this is by design or if mine is just short. I am getting a hot spot on the top of my head from the bull-strap. I will likely order a regular strap to replace this one.

PXL_20230317_204231729.jpg
If I've found anything about the different straps it's that we are all different and our different straps will all be the favorite or vice versa for different anatomies. Definitely good to have the different options!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back