ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Mar 18, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #3,751 of 7,070
the Bud Powell song "Parisian Thoroughfare" performed by Jaki Byard off the 1969 album The Jaki Byard Experience
Love Bud & LOVE Jaki Byard. Have that LP somewhere. He had a wonderfully jittery stride style.

Mar 18, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #3,752 of 7,070
Not to open this can of worms on an unrelated thread, but quality of amplification greatly impacts the bass quality of the Susvara. It can have profound bass in some cases.

That said, I agree completely with the overall take these are highly complementary headphones, offering a contrast between an airy and ethereal vs. physical and weighty presentations. I'm now on the Caldera and there's something about its texture that I always find addictive. I think most users would enjoy both headphones for different reasons (vs. other headphones that are a bit more polarizing).
spot on, with proper amping susvara bass hits hard and is far better than people seem to give it credit for,like everything else it is well balanced and part of the overall presentation

Mar 18, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #3,753 of 7,070
I still don't have an expensive power conditioner or cable...that is my next experiment.

Through experimentation, I've found that ower cables always have a real impact (not always as expected; price and quality are sometimes but not always correlated, like in all gear in the chain). Switching cables around is simple and easy to do. And most have easy return policy, so why not try? :)

Mar 18, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #3,754 of 7,070

If so, may I recommend Barry Harris. A real jazz pianists' pianist. I've had the privilege of hearing him perform live at the Village Vanguard a few times (and have most of his CDs from way back). My piano teacher was his student many years ago, so I'm biased. But if you love Bud Powell, you will find joy listening to him... try some of his solo albums or his many trio ones

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #3,755 of 7,070
I am a bill evans oscar peterson man myself...I know they are entirely different but I love both along with so many others

Mar 18, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #3,756 of 7,070
McCoy Tyner for me, he knocks me out like a heavy weight each time. Red Garland also.

Mar 18, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #3,757 of 7,070
First time starting my own pick-n-pluck Pelican case. Was getting tired of having to haul my DAP separately from the stock ZMF case. Maybe I could have done a better job with the layout, maybe even could have gotten something smaller, but I'm still happy with the outcome! 10/10, would recommend a larger case to fit a full transportable rig. Now, off to my buddy's place for drinks and music. Happy Saturday, everyone. :beerchug:
20230318_211422.jpg

Mar 18, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #3,758 of 7,070
McCoy Tyner for me, he knocks me out like a heavy weight each time. Red Garland also.
Tyner is a legend, quintessential example of dynamic contrast on the piano as well as creating and resolving tension with intricate progression. My favorite jazz pianist along with Chick Corea.

Mar 18, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #3,759 of 7,070

Fun Fact: My first name is McCoy and McCoy Tyner is one of the 3 reasons I was named McCoy
  1. McCoy AKA "Bones" from Start Trek
  2. McCoy Tyner the musician
  3. My Great Great Grandmother's maiden name was McCoy

Mar 18, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #3,760 of 7,070
First time starting my own pick-n-pluck Pelican case. Was getting tired of having to haul my DAP separately from the stock ZMF case. Maybe I could have done a better job with the layout, maybe even could have gotten something smaller, but I'm still happy with the outcome! 10/10, would recommend a larger case to fit a full transportable rig. Now, off to my buddy's place for drinks and music. Happy Saturday, everyone. :beerchug:20230318_211422.jpg
This is great. My downsized version of this is putting the mojo 2 in the ZMF case haha.

Mar 18, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #3,761 of 7,070
Tyner is a legend, quintessential example of dynamic contrast on the piano as well as creating and resolving tension with intricate progression. My favorite jazz pianist along with Chick Corea.
I love all the players mentioned here.

My first (and still) favorite pianist was Teddy Wilson. Still can't believe how much his playing graced so many recordings in the 30s and 40s.

And Errol Garner, whom I was lucky enough to see once. Still listen to a lot of him.

Art Tatum. And Kenny Barron, a direct descendant of Bud Powell (saw several times).

And the Latin piano geniuses: chucho valdez (saw him live); Ruben Gonzales; Danilo Perez (saw him many times, also met him); Ed Simon (saw live several times). Arturo O'Farrill

And Joe Zawinul.

(have to stop)

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #3,762 of 7,070
First time starting my own pick-n-pluck Pelican case. Was getting tired of having to haul my DAP separately from the stock ZMF case. Maybe I could have done a better job with the layout, maybe even could have gotten something smaller, but I'm still happy with the outcome! 10/10, would recommend a larger case to fit a full transportable rig. Now, off to my buddy's place for drinks and music. Happy Saturday, everyone. :beerchug:20230318_211422.jpg

Now that's a pro move!

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #3,763 of 7,070
I love all the players mentioned here.

My first (and still) favorite pianist was Teddy Wilson. Still can't believe how much his playing graced so many recordings in the 30s and 40s.

And Errol Garner, whom I was lucky enough to see once. Still listen to a lot of him.

Art Tatum. And Kenny Barron, a direct descendant of Bud Powell (saw several times).

And the Latin piano geniuses: chucho valdez (saw him live); Ruben Gonzales; Danilo Perez (saw him many times, also met him); Ed Simon (saw live several times). Arturo O'Farrill

And Joe Zawinul.

(have to stop)

If I had to make a list of all my favorite Jazz pianists, the list would be incredibly large and don't get me started with trumpet/sax players too!

Still, its a shame I can't enjoy those old mono recordings on my Caldera as opposed to my speakers, the music recorded on those albums are incredible but on the Calderas and on headphones in general, the magic is not there.....

Here is a modern recorded latin jazz album that I like very much and have listened to many times on my ZMFs,

Listen to that blazing fat trumpet tone.......WOW

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #3,764 of 7,070
ok, since we're going into Jazz piano territory, here are couple of my all-time favouite piano albums:

Barry Harris: "Listen to Barry Harris... Solo Piano (Reissue)":

1679192146086.png

Tommy Flanagan: "Jazz Poet"

1679191847547.png

Thelonius Monk: "Monk's Dream"

1679191925715.png

Wynton Kelly: "Wynton Kelly!"

1679192510021.png

Marian McPartland: "Just Friends" (collabs with other pianists; check the eponymous track)

1679192704551.png

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #3,765 of 7,070
Still, its a shame I can't enjoy those old mono recordings on my Caldera as opposed to my speakers, the music recorded on those albums are incredible but on the Calderas and headphones in general, the magic is not there.....
Have you tried crossfeed? It was designed for and works best with mono recordings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back