ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Feb 8, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #3,286 of 7,138
Ok all this discussion about humidity got me to order a $8 small humidity meter to put next to my headphones…

https://a.co/d/iDhhjqK
I think that is a great idea, and I have had one for a while (top left corner). :wink:

20221208_050439.jpg

Feb 8, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #3,287 of 7,138
I'm going to look through the other end of the telescope and disagree with you--slightly.

I've heard so much live music over the years: rock, stadium concerts, Woodstock...countless live jazz clubs and concerts...all manner of classical song recitals, symphonies, concerti, operas, ballet + orchestra. That's the cumulative experience model I bring to bear on headphones, just as I do with speakers and amps.

Here's the thing I can't help but notice: no detail-cannon headphone that specializes in resolution above all else ever sounds much at at all like real music to me. I haven't tried all of them, but enough to satisfy myself it's a dry hole (for me). Sure, trying for synergy between that headphone and DACs/amps can help, but the forensic, all-is-revealed experience such headphones bring is nothing like real music.

By contrast, every ZMF headphone I've heard, to one degree or another channels the experience of real music. This is actually the first & easiest thing I can hear from these headphones

So I conclude (as I have for big speaker systems) that designers who strive for ulta-low distortion, highest resolution, and ideal measurements, but pay little or not attention to the music part, usually miss the mark of musical verisimilitude by a wide margin.

Does that I mean how a designer could capture more of the real feel of music, beyond just hitting primo measurement numbers? Absolutely not. To me how to bridge the qualitative gap between audio reproduction and the real thing, music, is one of the great mysteries of technological life. But I do know that some audio designers--ie, ZMF, Meze, and Sennheiser in headphones; KEF, Vandersteen, and Sonus in speakers (among many others)--manage to channel at least some musical realism.

So it can be done. IMO not only is that not a flaw in design, a "coloration," but it really should be a prime directive.
So well said, and I concur.

Feb 8, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #3,289 of 7,138
So I sold my original Utopia but when would you use it over the Caldera? I still don’t have the feeling that I wish I still had the Utopia. I loved them when I owned them but the Caldera also does everything right but has a different presentation. The Utopia is as almost too in your face but that’s what I liked about it. The Caldera is a little more relaxed in comparison but still rocks out. Feel it has better weight and soundstage over the Utopia.

If you want better resolution on the Caldera, the Verite Silver cable improves this but not sure at Utopia level. If you want more resolution than the Utopia, the Expanse or Stealth have it beat. I have since learned resolution isn’t everything and can make the experience less enjoyable. I’ve mentioned before that I don’t find the Caldera the best at any one thing but it’s the overall presentation that I find to be one of the best I’ve heard. Just being technically better in one area doesn’t necessarily make for a more enjoyable listen. But with that said, the Utopia was excellent out of the Naim HE and so is the Caldera.
Hard to answer 'when I would choose Utopia over Caldera' as Utopia has been my favorite of all headphones for a couple of years and I've only had Caldera (to audition) for a few days, but my immediate thought is that I would choose Utopia when I want to prioritize resolution and immediacy over space and euphony and bass extension. Not that Utopia is bad at space and euphony or that Caldera is bad at resolution and immediacy, those are just the nuances that separate them IMO.

I have the Verite silver cable and am using it with Caldera, and I don't personally hear any difference vs the stock cable, but I'm not a big believer in headphone cables making an audible difference to my ears - I just like to upgrade them because the upgrade cables are cool & pretty.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #3,290 of 7,138
I have heard and owned two ZMF headphones; the Atrium and Caldera. Both seem to have built in filters. I would describe the Atrium filter as a "tube" filter. It honestly sounds like it has a built in tube amplifier. The Caldera filter is essentially a "bass shelf" filter. The Caldera to my ears is the first headphone that sounds like a hybrid planner/dynamic headphone. Really an incredible invention. ZMF is NOT about ultimate transparency. These filters "color" the sound- IMHO just beautifully.
100%. I've owned and loved VO for a few years already specifically BECAUSE it isn't neutral. I love VO's coloration. Caldera shares the same warm euphonic tilt (I would call this the "ZMF house sound"), though it is definitely more neutral than VO. Less neutral than Utopia, though, and I think that's where the resolution takes a slight hit (for better or for worse). Again, not that Caldera (or VO for that matter) isn't highly resolving - it totally is. It's just a hair below the very top echelon of resolution where Utopia, Susvara, etc sit. But Caldera certainly brings other things to the party that those headphones don't. There's something for everyone!

Feb 8, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #3,291 of 7,138
I feel like we need more details on your headphone stand. Quite the robust setup you've rigged up there! All matching cables too!?
It's still a work in progress as I still need to sand, stain and seal it. As far as mats, its some scrap wood from Home Depot, 4 Dual Headphone Stand hangers from Amz, and suede cloth from Hobby Lobby. Oh those are Meze XLR copper cables.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZWTNTFV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #3,292 of 7,138
I'm going to look through the other end of the telescope and disagree with you--slightly.

I've heard so much live music over the years: rock, stadium concerts, Woodstock...countless live jazz clubs and concerts...all manner of classical song recitals, symphonies, concerti, operas, ballet + orchestra. That's the cumulative experience model I bring to bear on headphones, just as I do with speakers and amps.

Here's the thing I can't help but notice: no detail-cannon headphone that specializes in resolution above all else ever sounds much at at all like real music to me. I haven't tried all of them, but enough to satisfy myself it's a dry hole (for me). Sure, trying for synergy between that headphone and DACs/amps can help, but the forensic, all-is-revealed experience such headphones bring is nothing like real music.

By contrast, every ZMF headphone I've heard, to one degree or another channels the experience of real music. This is actually the first & easiest thing I can hear from these headphones

So I conclude (as I have for big speaker systems) that headphone designers who strive for ulta-low distortion, highest resolution & ideal measurements, but pay little or no attention to the music part, usually miss the mark of musical verisimilitude by a wide margin.

Does that I mean how a designer could capture more of the real feel of music, beyond just hitting primo measurement numbers? Absolutely not. To me, how to bridge the qualitative gap between audio reproduction and the real thing, music, is one of the great mysteries of technological life. But I do know that some audio designers--ie, ZMF, Meze, and Sennheiser in headphones; KEF, Vandersteen, and Sonus in speakers (among many others)--manage to channel at least some musical realism.

So it can be done. IMO not only is that not a flaw in design, a "coloration," but it really should be a prime directive.
Once again, you hit the nail on the head!

The three brands I've enjoyed most in HiFi who seem to have mastered much of this very same design philosophy:
  • ZMF
  • Nelson Pass (Pass Labs/Firstwatt)
  • Schiit
Of course, there are many others (like, the nature of tube amps themselves). But I find myself a repeat buyer specifically in these three instances.

They all understand the art and how to make it work with the science.

Feb 8, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #3,293 of 7,138
Once again, you hit the nail on the head!

The three brands I've enjoyed most in HiFi who seem to have mastered much of this very same design philosophy:
  • ZMF
  • Nelson Pass (Pass Labs/Firstwatt)
  • Schiit
Of course, there are many others (like, the nature of tube amps themselves). But I find myself a repeat buyer specifically in these three instances.

They all understand the art and how to make it work with the science.
I second the vote of confidence in Schiit. As a matter of fact I've found a distinct synergy between Schiit amps and ZMF headphones. VO sounds better on Valhalla than almost anything else I've heard it on, and Lyr is amazing with Caldera (Caldera is good with Valhalla too, but I think Lyr suits it better)

Feb 8, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #3,294 of 7,138
I second the vote of confidence in Schiit. As a matter of fact I've found a distinct synergy between Schiit amps and ZMF headphones. VO sounds better on Valhalla than almost anything else I've heard it on, and Lyr is amazing with Caldera (Caldera is good with Valhalla too, but I think Lyr suits it better)
Someone from these forums/GoldenSound's Discord server is running his Caldera directly from the Tyrs, now added a ZOTL PreAmp

He says that Atrium / Caldera / Expanse are his go to headphones.

Feb 8, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #3,295 of 7,138
So I conclude (as I have for big speaker systems) that headphone designers who strive for ulta-low distortion, highest resolution & ideal measurements, but pay little or no attention to the music part, usually miss the mark of musical verisimilitude by a wide margin.
GoodnaturedJointBettong-size_restricted.gif

Feb 8, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #3,296 of 7,138
Someone from these forums/GoldenSound's Discord server is running his Caldera directly from the Tyrs, now added a ZOTL PreAmp

He says that Atrium / Caldera / Expanse are his go to headphones.

When I first did my full writeup about the Caldera, I tried to drive through a variety of amps, including my rather powerful (250w/125w into 4/8phm) Moon 300A power amp, which I usually use with the Susvara. Simply, I was curious.

The amp was border line too powerful, with a very slight hiss for noise floor with music paued, which wasn't surprising given the Caldera's very reasonable 95 dB sensitivity (the Susvara at 83 dB is a serious outlier in sensitivity). So I'm not using this combo for that reason, but I do want to share that my impressions where that, when I played the music with it, it was utterly magical. A big impact on expanding soundstage, and just a very dynamic and exciting presentation. That was an early and awesome demonstration in how much the Caldera scales with better amping. It's really unique in that it doesn't require much power to run well, while it also scales wonderfully when you give it more.

I often run it off my CFA-3 (doing so as I type). The CFA-3 (38w/25w into 4ohm/8ohm) it built to drive both headphones and sensitive speakers. So I'm guessing that power amps that aren't overlly powerful and/or that are exceptionally quiet may prove a great choice for the Caldera, synregies and all caveat etc.

PS
For the uninitiated to this practice, always start with volume at zero, and following proper cabling and power sequencing. Lots on that lore in the Susvara thread (bit off topic here).

Feb 8, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #3,297 of 7,138
I think that is a great idea, and I have had one for a while (top left corner). :wink:

20221208_050439.jpg

But... but... wait.. but...

is it an AUDIOPHILE humidity meter? Rhodium connectors?? Isolation feet?!?!?

Feb 8, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #3,299 of 7,138
Feb 8, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #3,300 of 7,138

Does that I mean how a designer could capture more of the real feel of music, beyond just hitting primo measurement numbers? Absolutely not. To me, how to bridge the qualitative gap between audio reproduction and the real thing, music, is one of the great mysteries of technological life. But I do know that some audio designers--ie, ZMF, Meze, and Sennheiser in headphones; KEF, Vandersteen, and Sonus in speakers (among many others)--manage to channel at least some musical realism.

Amen - there's a huge difference between "audiophile neutral" and "realistic" to a musicians performance. I'm not arguing for one over the other, and as mmay know we have the line of headphone I consider zmf neutral (auteur, atrium,) and the headphones that have more flavour (verite, aeolus.) with the Caldera sitting dead center between the two which can be amended in either direction with pads.
Speaking of all this humidity problem, while I live in a desert almost literally, it seems humidity here is fairly high around 50-70% from what I've seen on the forecasts, I guess this is going to be fine. But is the wood any different or any possible problems with the Redheart?
No issues with any wood at high humidity.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back