ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Feb 9, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #3,316 of 7,089
If I didn’t hear the stock, I’d be perfectly happy with the suede. I think I found the difference between stock and suede more about soundstage than warmth. I’d say suede is better if someone’s looking to move a few rows back from the stage. So with that you loose a hint of bass and weight but gain more air and space. I tend to like being right in the front row, which the stock feels like. Think the Expanse actually puts you on stage, which was too close for me but did sound great with live acoustic guitar.
I think this is why the stock over suede. The bass is just weightier and better defined. The bass is maybe just a bit elevated than neutral which is what I like. I also perceive more soundstage depth and instrument layering with the stock pads.

I’ve also been appreciating the cowhide pads more for thicker/richer mids and bass. If I A/B between stock lambskin and cowhide in critical listening, then the cowhide upper mids timbre is a bit darker-than-life. Clarity and articulation is better on stock. But if I let go of thinking whether the timbre is accurate, then cowhide is very engaging, punchy and overall a slightly more euphonic experience that I really enjoy. When I first tried the cowhides two months ago, I found it lack left-right imaging and proper layering of sounds. Those problems are seemingly gone for whatever reason. I actually find the staging on cowhide quite holographic and enjoyable.

Currently, I go between stock and cowhide depending on mood and the kind of presentation I’m after. If I want to sit back and enjoy a more grand presentation and hear all the details, then I grab the stock pads. If I’m looking for a more intimate, richer and more meaty sound where I feel like I’m in the centre of the music, then I grab the cowhide pads. Quite happy with this balance at the moment.

I learnt that for ZMFs where you have so many pad rolling options, don’t count any options out so quickly especially if you’re new to the headphone. It can be quite a journey to learn the headphones and figure out your pads preferences.

Feb 9, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #3,317 of 7,089
Even for someone like myself who only uses suedes, I've stuck with the suede version of the default/stock lambskin pad for nearly every model. I think in general the default pads are usually best for most. For the Caldera I've not felt a need to try to get something else by pad rolling, and there's only the one suede Caldera pad anyway. I did stick the suede BE-2 perforated on once for a few minutes but it was surprisingly good too.
Yeah I think the stock is the most well rounded that most people should start there (I mean… that’s what STOCK pads are meant for right?).

Feb 10, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #3,318 of 7,089
Yeah I think the stock is the most well rounded that most people should start there (I mean… that’s what STOCK pads are meant for right?).
Somehow I thought the stock pads were like a stock cable, where peope don’t end up using it. The suede was getting talked about as being magical, so I wanted that. And then wanted to see what a warmer sound was like, so also got the thick. Didn’t even think of getting the stock until read more post saying it sounds best. I actually thought getting the stock would confirm my decision that I’d prefer the suede and then could sell stock later. Thought maybe better bass but lose magic mids with the stock. But it does everything I like about the suede but improves bass on top of that without any real trade offs. I guess very slight loss off space, but also prefer closer feel, so still a plus.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #3,319 of 7,089
I have had so many TOTL planars including LCD-5, Susvara, Expanse, Elites etc etc. and I am just astounded at the quality and pure realism/feeling of being there this headphone achieves in comparison to others. (Closest being Susvara's) My first wow moment in audio were the Arya V2's and since then I've heard good, or even great; but the Calderas brought back that wow factor and has me enjoying music in a new light again. Thank you for these headphones they are truly special.

One of the tracks the sold me the most is Ixtapa - Rodrigo y Gabriela Live in Japan. The whole track is wonderful but the best part on the caldera to me is 1.13 -2.08ish just blew me away.

Feb 10, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #3,320 of 7,089
I have had so many TOTL planars including LCD-5, Susvara, Expanse, Elites etc etc. and I am just astounded at the quality and pure realism/feeling of being there this headphone achieves in comparison to others. (Closest being Susvara's) My first wow moment in audio were the Arya V2's and since then I've heard good, or even great; but the Calderas brought back that wow factor and has me enjoying music in a new light again. Thank you for these headphones they are truly special.

One of the tracks the sold me the most is Ixtapa - Rodrigo y Gabriela Live in Japan. The whole track is wonderful but the best part on the caldera to me is 1.13 -2.08ish just blew me away.
+1 for Rodrigo y Gabriela

Feb 10, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #3,321 of 7,089
Feb 10, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #3,322 of 7,089
When I first got the Caldera I was switching back and forth with the stock and suede pads. Eventually I settled with the stock pads because they sound the most natural. I feel treble is perfect with the stock pads because you hear all of the detail but it's never overemphasized. It's there if you want to hear it but it's not the star of the show. The ultra perforated pads intrigue me because they might be the middle ground between the suede and stock pads. Better bass slam than the suede with a more airy and open sound vs the stock pads.

Feb 10, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #3,323 of 7,089
The suede was getting talked about as being magical, so I wanted that. And then wanted to see what a warmer sound was like, so also got the thick. Didn’t even think of getting the stock until read more post saying it sounds best.
This is what I did as well. I think the suede is still a more neutral/reference presentation though. But I think a lot of people are gonna prefer the sound of the stock.

Feb 10, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #3,324 of 7,089
I still love the suede pads for vocals, especially female vocals, but the pads I use the vast majority of the time are the slim pads. The stage is slightly narrower compared to stock, but the tonal balance is very close yet the sense of punch and slam is improved. Overall, the slim pads are perfect for my preferences. When I want a wider, deeper soundstage, I switch to Atrium.

Feb 10, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #3,325 of 7,089
Fun day! Received the cowhide pads in the mail along with a suede strap. Successfully swapped out the rawhide strap for the suede, so I sacrifice a bit of cool aesthetic for a big more "hug" around the head and put on the cowhides.

I'm not sure what to think, yet. Perhaps what I was reading had colored my expectations but I'm finding them fun, with a decent amount of energy. I had expected a darker, more mellow experience than the stock pads but there is still a good amount of treble to these. I've noticed the toes tapping multiple times.

I think the overall positive between the cowhide, stock, and suede pads is they're all VERY enjoyable. I've had clear favorites on all my previous ZMF cans, such as the eikon suedes on both the auteur and eikon...but the caldera? I can't really pick at the moment.

Feb 11, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #3,326 of 7,089
Someone in this thread earlier described the Caldera bass to be approaching 1266 level, however I actually think the bass is only a little above neutral and if anything it needs more subbass. Was this person’s impressions way off or do I just need more time with the Caldera? I’m on stock lambskin pads and haven’t tried the slim cowhide yet. I actually think the Expanse has way more subbass. I am coming from Denon d7000. My amp is the Cayin iha6 and source is Cayin N8ii DAP

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #3,327 of 7,089
I still love the suede pads for vocals, especially female vocals, but the pads I use the vast majority of the time are the slim pads. The stage is slightly narrower compared to stock, but the tonal balance is very close yet the sense of punch and slam is improved. Overall, the slim pads are perfect for my preferences. When I want a wider, deeper soundstage, I switch to Atrium.
I find the exact same thing. On both my Atrium and Caldera i prefer the slim (or Be2 on the Atrium) pads.

Feb 11, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #3,328 of 7,089
Someone in this thread earlier described the Caldera bass to be approaching 1266 level, however I actually think the bass is only a little above neutral and if anything it needs more subbass. Was this person’s impressions way off or do I just need more time with the Caldera? I’m on stock lambskin pads and haven’t tried the slim cowhide yet. I actually think the Expanse has way more subbass. I am coming from Denon d7000. My amp is the Cayin iha6 and source is Cayin N8ii DAP
I haven't heard your amp but based on discussion in this thread (including Zach) I would definitely try some different amps before coming to any final conclusions. A few people have said that the Caldera let's you hear the characteristics of your chain more than most headphones.

Feb 11, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #3,329 of 7,089
20230211_231620-01.jpeg

just got my ultra short adaptors from Sean @ Affinity. took a while as he had to order in the Furutech mini xlr plugs. he had Amphenol and Rean plugs but I don't really like those.

popped the adaptors onto the Caldera and hooked up the DHC Prion4 and am having a simply wonderful late night listening session. stock cable goes back into the case for good. I find the Prion4 adds some low end and blunts the edges a bit, and makes for a great pairing with the Caldera on suede pads.

Feb 11, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #3,330 of 7,089

Pad wise, you might want to try both the cowhide and thick pads, the latter purportedly increase bass levels (though I haven’t tried them)

The caldera sounds wonderful and punchy on a good solid state amp, but I do find it has a more texture bass and deeper sub-bass on a good tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back