ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Feb 8, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #3,272 of 7,139
I have heard and owned two ZMF headphones; the Atrium and Caldera. Both seem to have built in filters. I would describe the Atrium filter as a "tube" filter. It honestly sounds like it has a built in tube amplifier. The Caldera filter is essentially a "bass shelf" filter. The Caldera to my ears is the first headphone that sounds like a hybrid planner/dynamic headphone. Really an incredible invention. ZMF is NOT about ultimate transparency. These filters "color" the sound- IMHO just beautifully.
ZMF is presentation.

Grado is transparency and space.

Stealth is a silent room with detail.

Audeze is audiophile luxury.

Sennheiser is German.

Focal is French.

Feb 8, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #3,273 of 7,139
2023_0208_17535400.jpg

Yes, yes, yes, the are indeed a good pairing

Feb 8, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #3,276 of 7,139
ZMF is presentation.

Grado is transparency and space.

Stealth is a silent room with detail.

Audeze is audiophile luxury.

Sennheiser is German.

Focal is French.

You nailed it with the last two :beerchug::o2smile:

Yes, yes, yes, the are indeed a good pairing

This remains lodged deep in bucket list. Wonderful amp.

And someone bit to the volume knob comment. Damn I was thinking hard about a punch line..

someone get the tool box the button is broken gif | WiffleGif

Feb 8, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #3,277 of 7,139
You nailed it with the last two :beerchug::o2smile:

This remains lodged deep in bucket list. Wonderful amp.

And someone bit to the volume knob comment. Damn I was thinking hard about a punch line..

someone get the tool box the button is broken gif | WiffleGif

Definitely can't argue with that, lol

Feb 8, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #3,278 of 7,139
Ok all this discussion about humidity got me to order a $8 small humidity meter to put next to my headphones…

https://a.co/d/iDhhjqK

Feb 8, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #3,279 of 7,139
Ok all this discussion about humidity got me to order a $8 small humidity meter to put next to my headphones…

https://a.co/d/iDhhjqK
GREAT idea!!!
Anyone knows how accurate these are? I am not looking for scientific accuracy, but want to make sure it is at least in the ballpark...

Feb 8, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #3,281 of 7,139
GREAT idea!!!
Anyone knows how accurate these are? I am not looking for scientific accuracy, but want to make sure it is at least in the ballpark...
I have one as well and tbh the accuracy should be good enough. I believe Zach said going below 20% is the danger zone. If your meter is reading close to the lower 20's then you might want to store your can's just to be safe.

I'm at a constant 40% or higher here in south Texas so there's never a need to store them unless we get some crazy winter freeze like we got in 2021. I just keep my can's covered when not in use w/ a suede static free cloth to keep them free of dust etc.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #3,282 of 7,139
There're quite some beaus underneath. :ok_hand:

Feb 8, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #3,283 of 7,139
I have one as well and tbh the accuracy should be good enough. I believe Zach said going below 20% is the danger zone. If your meter is reading close to the lower 20's then you might want to store your can's just to be safe.

I'm at a constant 40% or higher here in south Texas so there's never a need to store them unless we get some crazy winter freeze like we got in 2021. I just keep my can's covered when not in use w/ a suede static free cloth to keep them free of dust etc.
I feel like we need more details on your headphone stand. Quite the robust setup you've rigged up there! All matching cables too!?

Feb 8, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #3,284 of 7,139
I have heard and owned two ZMF headphones; the Atrium and Caldera. Both seem to have built in filters. I would describe the Atrium filter as a "tube" filter. It honestly sounds like it has a built in tube amplifier. The Caldera filter is essentially a "bass shelf" filter. The Caldera to my ears is the first headphone that sounds like a hybrid planner/dynamic headphone. Really an incredible invention. ZMF is NOT about ultimate transparency. These filters "color" the sound- IMHO just beautifully.
I'm going to look through the other end of the telescope and disagree with you--slightly.

I've heard so much live music over the years: rock, stadium concerts, Woodstock...countless live jazz clubs and concerts...all manner of classical song recitals, symphonies, concerti, operas, ballet + orchestra. That's the cumulative experience model I bring to bear on headphones, just as I do with speakers and amps.

Here's the thing I can't help but notice: no detail-cannon headphone that specializes in resolution above all else ever sounds much at at all like real music to me. I haven't tried all of them, but enough to satisfy myself it's a dry hole (for me). Sure, trying for synergy between that headphone and DACs/amps can help, but the forensic, all-is-revealed experience such headphones bring is nothing like real music.

By contrast, every ZMF headphone I've heard, to one degree or another channels the experience of real music. This is actually the first & easiest thing I can hear from these headphones

So I conclude (as I have for big speaker systems) that headphone designers who strive for ulta-low distortion, highest resolution & ideal measurements, but pay little or no attention to the music part, usually miss the mark of musical verisimilitude by a wide margin.

Does that I mean how a designer could capture more of the real feel of music, beyond just hitting primo measurement numbers? Absolutely not. To me, how to bridge the qualitative gap between audio reproduction and the real thing, music, is one of the great mysteries of technological life. But I do know that some audio designers--ie, ZMF, Meze, and Sennheiser in headphones; KEF, Vandersteen, and Sonus in speakers (among many others)--manage to channel at least some musical realism.

So it can be done. IMO not only is that not a flaw in design, a "coloration," but it really should be a prime directive.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #3,285 of 7,139
Speaking of all this humidity problem, while I live in a desert almost literally, it seems humidity here is fairly high around 50-70% from what I've seen on the forecasts, I guess this is going to be fine. But is the wood any different or any possible problems with the Redheart?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back