ZMF Auteur Thread
Nov 16, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #3,526 of 8,390
I'm looking to replace my stock Auteur cable (1/4") with a longer (preferably 8-10') one. Do any of you have any recommendations for a good value cable?

Nov 16, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #3,527 of 8,390
I'm looking to replace my stock Auteur cable (1/4") with a longer (preferably 8-10') one. Do any of you have any recommendations for a good value cable?
depends on what you'd consider value. I like Periapt cables for under $100 options. they're a bit thick and on the stiffer side, but very well built and sound as good as any stock cable i've heard. if you want to spend a bit more and get a fancier looking/feeling cable LQI cables have been great, and come in under $200 for most sensible options. that's about where i tap out on cables, i just can't hear significant differences (abused old ears).

EDIT - have had good luck with Venus Audio cables on ebay as well. i believe he's got his own site off ebay now as well.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #3,528 of 8,390
Norne Audio is a terrific cable vendor, not the cheapest but great value for the quality you get. Be prepared to wait a bit though as build / ship times can be many weeks. Worth it IMHO. Another good option is Forza Audio Works.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #3,529 of 8,390
Also check out Sky Audio Cables on eBay. I started a thread in the Cables forum. Well built, light, and very flexible. And affordable!!!!

Nov 16, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #3,530 of 8,390
Nov 16, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #3,532 of 8,390
Nov 17, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #3,534 of 8,390
I have had my teak Auteur now for about a week and a half and they have easily become my favorite set of headphones. So much so that I actually sold both my HD800S and my Aeolus.

After listening to the Auteur, I simply couldn’t go back to the HD800S, which, to my ears, had the more open soundstage but couldn’t compete with the Auteur’s rich midrange or bass depth and fullness. I found that I valued those qualities over soundstage width when listening to most of my music.

As much as I liked the immediacy and punch of the Aeolus, it didn’t have quite the treble sparkle of the Auteur. For my ears, this made a big difference when listening to classical music. I knew that I would be going for the Auteur 9 times out of 10 for most listening.

Needless to say, I am very happy with my Auteur paired with my iFi iDSD Pro and Decware CSP2! I haven’t had a chance to hear the Verite open or closed, but I’m in no rush at this point.

Nov 17, 2019 at 3:28 AM Post #3,535 of 8,390
As much as I liked the immediacy and punch of the Aeolus, it didn’t have quite the treble sparkle of the Auteur. For my ears, this made a big difference when listening to classical music. I knew that I would be going for the Auteur 9 times out of 10 for most listening.

Needless to say, I am very happy with my Auteur paired with my iFi iDSD Pro and Decware CSP2! I haven’t had a chance to hear the Verite open or closed, but I’m in no rush at this point.

Hi @jawks. I also am enjoying the Auteur immensely for classical music powered by an OTL tube amp (Feliks-Audio Elise in my case). Baroque keyboard instruments, classical-era string quartets, it's been wonderful to re-discover my music with Auteur. Neutral / balanced across the frequencies with terrific mids, realistic staging, a touch of euphonic warmth augmented by the OTL amp, it's a superior presentation for classical music. Like you I keep eyeing the Vérité threads but remain content to do some tube rolling on my amp and let the Auteur shine with each new combo. I've had mine 17 months and still enjoy it every time it graces my ears. It's a great headphone. Enjoy!

Nov 22, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #3,536 of 8,390
Nov 22, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #3,537 of 8,390
Nov 22, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #3,539 of 8,390
Nov 22, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #3,540 of 8,390
The Wenge (Brass with stable splits). Looking forward to comparing with the Verite I recently got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back