ZMF Auteur Thread
Nov 30, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #3,556 of 8,284
Auteur is great for Rock. Very dynamic & impactful w/ satisfying bass coupled with the ability to make vocals scream and guitars wail. I really enjoy them w/ many of the groups you mention, as well as lots of classic rock (Zeppelin, Stones, Who...) Also, they are the greatest Deadphones.

However, I’m sure there are those who will point you to every can in Zach’s lineup. Certainly Aeolus seem like a contender in the ‘best for rock’ sweepstakes. You might want to look at these two reviews of Aeolus which both compare them to other ZMF cans:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/zmfheadphones-aeolus.23472/reviews#review-21293

Teak Auteur. My Blackwood is not warm or slow. I agree with ‘slightly less resolving’ and ‘less expansive’ if the latter means open headstage.

I find Auteur to be a bit of a chameleon with different amps. Warmer & thicker w/ Liquid Platinum, more open and airy w/ more detail from SS amps (Violectric V280 & DSHA-3F).
i've not heard the harder wood auteurs, would you say it has the same speed as the hd800?

very much agree with the chameleon comment. amps have a large effect on the auteur (and atticus!). call me crazy but i really love the auteur on my vali 2, there's a synergy there i like. bass is slightly loose, but i like it.

Nov 30, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #3,557 of 8,284
i've not heard the harder wood auteurs, would you say it has the same speed as the hd800? ...
From memory, I’d say Auteur is ‘a little’ slower — don’t have 800s on-hand to refresh my memory. But definitely a little slower than my Utopia. That’s OK w/ me though as Utopia can be ... too much.

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #3,558 of 8,284
I just pounced on a pair of Cocobolo Auteurs from the "ZMF November" page that had a stain mismatch, which they are re-staining for me. I'll be driving them via XLR cables through an SMSL SU-8 DAC and a Monolith THX 887 amplifier. That set-up really made my HD6XX and HE4XX headphones come alive, so I'm hopeful. Has anyone had experience with this combination?

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #3,559 of 8,284
I just pounced on a pair of Cocobolo Auteurs from the "ZMF November" page that had a stain mismatch, which they are re-staining for me. I'll be driving them via XLR cables through an SMSL SU-8 DAC and a Monolith THX 887 amplifier. That set-up really made my HD6XX and HE4XX headphones come alive, so I'm hopeful. Has anyone had experience with this combination?
I would guess (somewhat confidently) that if the combo makes the hd6xx sound good then the auteur will sound even better. Of course YMMV.

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #3,560 of 8,284
I recommend a good tube amp to drive ZMF. I tried a few SS amps, including THX 789. Sounds drier and less analog in the mids, which is Auteur's biggest strength for me.

This is in contrast with the Senns. I hardly use the HD800/600 with tube amps any longer, as they sound great enough with some SS amps. I find them rather flat with the THX 789 though. I use the THX 789 mostly for planars.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #3,561 of 8,284
I recommend a good tube amp to drive ZMF. I tried a few SS amps, including THX 789. Sounds drier and less analog in the mids, which is Auteur's biggest strength for me.

This is in contrast with the Senns. I hardly use the HD800/600 with tube amps any longer, as they sound great enough with some SS amps. I find them rather flat with the THX 789 though. I use the THX 789 mostly for planars.
I will echo this sentiment, but refine it a bit. I recommend tube amps (I use a Feliks Elise and a Woo WA7) for ZMF Dynamics, but I find that their planars respond very well to SS amps.

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #3,562 of 8,284
I haven't had any DAC/amp pairing make my Blackwood Auteur sound 'bad'. I do hear some differences from various amps. A little more rhythmic/musical from my Liquid Platinum vs my previous SS amps (Bryston BHA-1, Violectric V280). A little more impactful and detailed from those SS amps. The A2 Gumby/LP/Auteur chain works very well for me. I can play with the sound a bit by swapping between my Siemens CCa tubes and Brimar CV-2492s. The Siemens tubes warm Auteur up a bit and reinforce the bass, while the Brimars make the chain sound more neutral and a bit faster/more impactful.

Whole different plane when I'm listening via my DSHA 3F, which is getting most of my headtime now.

I fear listening to Auteur paired with a TOTL tube amp. Given how my LP moves the sig, I imagine I'd hear some magic there. I've mostly avoided tube equipment because of the 'tube-rolling rabbit hole'. Considering how much I've spent on tubes for the LP, I can only shudder in horror as I imagine what will happen to my finances if I have to start rolling (say) 2A3s or 300Bs in pairs.

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #3,563 of 8,284
I fear listening to Auteur paired with a TOTL tube amp. Given how my LP moves the sig, I imagine I'd hear some magic there. I've mostly avoided tube equipment because of the 'tube-rolling rabbit hole'. Considering how much I've spent on tubes for the LP, I can only shudder in horror as I imagine what will happen to my finances if I have to start rolling (say) 2A3s or 300Bs in pairs.
Yeah, that's the danger. I live with that fear as well LOL.

Don't need to go for expensive amps. They are often overrated. You can try something like the ZD Jr. or SW51. But I would go full tube, and not hybrid, with the Auteur.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #3,564 of 8,284
Yeah, that's the danger. I live with that fear as well LOL.

Don't need to go for expensive amps. They are often overrated. You can try something like the ZD Jr. or SW51. But I would go full tube, and not hybrid, with the Auteur.

I agree - I think tubes really bring out the best in the Auteur. I love listening to mine through my Decware CSP2+ OTL tube amp.

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #3,565 of 8,284
I will echo this sentiment, but refine it a bit. I recommend tube amps (I use a Feliks Elise and a Woo WA7) for ZMF Dynamics, but I find that their planars respond very well to SS amps.
Thanks...sometimes I forgot ZMF still makes those modified T51RP planars.

I agree - I think tubes really bring out the best in the Auteur. I love listening to mine through my Decware CSP2+ OTL tube amp.
Nice amp.

The A2 Gumby/LP/Auteur chain works very well for me.
I love the BHA-1 for a lot of cans. Though not surprised the LP sounds more musical for the Auteur. A lot of good amps you got there, bro.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #3,566 of 8,284
Hey guys, I have decided to go balanced. Those of you with ZMF cans, not necessarily Auteur, in the EU. What's a good place to order a balanced cable from? I am not into snake oil and I will not pay $200+ for a piece of wire. All I want is a quality cable (low resistance, not prone to rusting, etc.) for my Auteur from where they do not charge an arm and a leg for shipping.

I am trying to search on my own, but if anyone has a good tip, I am all ears. :)

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #3,567 of 8,284
Hey guys, I have decided to go balanced. Those of you with ZMF cans, not necessarily Auteur, in the EU. What's a good place to order a balanced cable from? I am not into snake oil and I will not pay $200+ for a piece of wire. All I want is a quality cable (low resistance, not prone to rusting, etc.) for my Auteur from where they do not charge an arm and a leg for shipping.

I am trying to search on my own, but if anyone has a good tip, I am all ears. :)
You can try Forza Claire or Customcans.

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #3,568 of 8,284
Try https://oidiosound.co.uk/

I've ordered from them twice and everything was good each time. The lead time was about 3 weeks in both instances. You can customise your cable to your liking for additional eye candy.
You also get a complimentary biscuit. You can't beat that!

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #3,569 of 8,284

the basic ofc cable from ZMF is very well priced, if your local ZMF dealer carries them in xlr termination.

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #3,570 of 8,284

Sky Audio Cables on eBay:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sky-audio-cables.916261/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Hea...hash=item2865b138d9:m:mYwm5i4Wvj75TXDuNkU4rSw

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back