ZMF Auteur Thread
Nov 22, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #3,543 of 8,365
Woo hoo! Joined the Auteur club for $1099!

Ditto, but the auteur padauk repaired.

Also have on order the VC's.

Can't wait to see and hear them!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #3,545 of 8,365
I'm looking to replace my stock Auteur cable (1/4") with a longer (preferably 8-10') one. Do any of you have any recommendations for a good value cable?
Just looping back to this previous discussion - I decided to order a custom made headphone cable from Arctic Cables on EBay. Ordered on November 17th and received it on November 23rd. I'm very happy with the quality of the cable, which I got in a purple/back color combination at a length of 10 feet. It's lightweight and doesn't seem to tangle, so it's perfect for what I needed. Price was very reasonable and I was quite surprised at the turnaround time.

Nov 23, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #3,546 of 8,365
Really surprised the Red Special Cocobolo Auteur hasn't sold. I find it absolutely gorgeous and am tempted to get it myself for $400 more than I paid for the Wenge.

Cocobolo+auteur.jpg

Nov 24, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #3,547 of 8,365
Really surprised the Red Special Cocobolo Auteur hasn't sold. I find it absolutely gorgeous and am tempted to get it myself for $400 more than I paid for the Wenge.

Cocobolo+auteur.jpg
That Coco is cool indeed. I got a Wenge pair with brushed aluminium fittings last year and couldn't be happier. Wenge is almost as hard as Coco and I don't think Zach made more than 3 pairs of Auteurs with that wood.

Nov 24, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #3,548 of 8,365
That Coco is cool indeed. I got a Wenge pair with brushed aluminium fittings last year and couldn't be happier. Wenge is almost as hard as Coco and I don't think Zach made more than 3 pairs of Auteurs with that wood.

Yeah there wasn't much wenge - and we made them really early on so a couple of the sets split around the grille because they weren't fitted loose enough. It's all stable but that's why the price was so good.

I just uploaded some new pics of the Black Limba and Padauk auteur's as we got a lot of questions about what was in-congruent in the machining. It's nothing in the wood, it's just the slot and grille position. You can see it easily in these pics. The sound and aesthetic is fine, and we're making these sets from scratch in those two woods.

Padauk auteur front.jpg BL_auteur_front.jpg

And a few shameless plug shots of the Zebra auteur we just released. The wood we have is Pomelle Zebra - which has that cool waterfall grain that floats around as you hold the headphones.

_DSC3413-2.JPG _DSC3416-2.JPG _DSC3446-2.JPG _DSC3465-2.JPG

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 24, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #3,549 of 8,365
That is maybe the most gorgeous zebrawood I have ever seen. Love the waterfall pattern!
Saving for Closed Verites! Hopefully by XMAS! No one will be buying me a present so have
to get myself one! Still love my tweaked Blackwood Auteurs! Okay Zach never did get a response about my tweak....so what do you think?

It does make a difference albeit slight and it does noticeably smooth out some of the subtle hardness in the upper mids that occurs on some material!
The tape is to allow it to be temporary...but I have found no reason to remove it. Basically its a diffraction blanket made from stretched HD650 inner pads!
IMG_20190918_005700605.jpg

cleardot.gif

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #3,550 of 8,365
How are these for rock music? And how do they pair with Schiit Lyr 3 or Woo Audio WA7 2nd gen? Of all the ZMF headphones which ones are the best for rock.
Specifically:
Tool
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Fuel
Chevelle
Guns N Roses
Nirvana
Foo Fighters

Thx

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #3,551 of 8,365
How are these for rock music? And how do they pair with Schiit Lyr 3 or Woo Audio WA7 2nd gen? Of all the ZMF headphones which ones are the best for rock.
Specifically:
Tool
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Fuel
Chevelle
Guns N Roses
Nirvana
Foo Fighters

Thx
Well... Hard to say, as I / we don't know your preference in sound.

Of the headphones listed in your signature, which is your favorite and why?

Nov 25, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #3,552 of 8,365
Another anecdote, there is another member here who shall remain nameless that wasn't keen on the exposed screws (despite his avatar having bolts coming out of his neck...hint hint). Of course that hasn't stopped him from holding on to my Aeolus for quite some time now....

Somehow I missed this post.

Yes, just looking at pictures (before I ever saw an Aeolus in person) I didn't like the exposed screws. But after several months of listening to your Aeolus, I no longer care about exposed screws. It's a case of extremely good sound negating a visual preference.

And for the record--that's no avatar...it's the photo my driver's license.

Nov 25, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #3,553 of 8,365
I sold Pharamboy my Padauk Eikons over a year ago. When I asked him if he wanted to sell them back to me, his response was a rather impolite version of NO.

That'll teach you to sell a beautiful headphone to an ungrateful oaf...

Nov 30, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #3,554 of 8,365
Specifically:
Tool
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Fuel
Chevelle
Guns N Roses
Nirvana
Foo Fighters

Thx
i love them for rock. not sure what your preferred sound signature is though, so it's hard to say. but i owned the hd800s at the same time i as my Auteur (sold 800s and still have auteur). comparatively, the auteur is warmer, slower, less expansive, and slightly less resolving. sounds like it's not as good, right? for me, a big WRONG! despite the differences, which imo are very slight, it has a far more engaging sound signature overall, and still performs at such a high level that i don't miss the 800s at all.

why i like them for rock so much more than the 800s - more bass, both sub and mid. it's a bit slower and bloomier, but more visceral and satisfying. the mids are more full and fleshed out, and more forward, making guitars and vocals come alive. and the treble isnt as peaky as the 800s, so i can listen at higher volume without fatigue. i found the 800s too dull for rock. it lacked dynamic punch and engagement for me. the auteur has that in spades. if you want to crank it up a notch, the atticus/aeolus is even more engaging, though less technically capable.

no experience with the woo, but did own the lyr 3, and ran both the 800s and auteur through them. i personally did not like my lyr 3 (TS tube) for them. it seemed dynamically compressed, and a bit dull sounding. i much preferred my violectric and bottlehead crack amps. just my preference though.

Nov 30, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #3,555 of 8,365
How are these for rock music? ... Of all the ZMF headphones which ones are the best for rock.
Specifically:
Tool
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Fuel
Chevelle
Guns N Roses
Nirvana
Foo Fighters...
Auteur is great for Rock. Very dynamic & impactful w/ satisfying bass coupled with the ability to make vocals scream and guitars wail. I really enjoy them w/ many of the groups you mention, as well as lots of classic rock (Zeppelin, Stones, Who...) Also, they are the greatest Deadphones.

However, I’m sure there are those who will point you to every can in Zach’s lineup. Certainly Aeolus seem like a contender in the ‘best for rock’ sweepstakes. You might want to look at these two reviews of Aeolus which both compare them to other ZMF cans:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/zmfheadphones-aeolus.23472/reviews#review-21293
...comparatively, the auteur is warmer, slower, less expansive, and slightly less resolving....
Teak Auteur. My Blackwood is not warm or slow. I agree with ‘slightly less resolving’ and ‘less expansive’ if the latter means open headstage.
... i much preferred my violectric and bottlehead crack amps. just my preference though.
I find Auteur to be a bit of a chameleon with different amps. Warmer & thicker w/ Liquid Platinum, more open and airy w/ more detail from SS amps (Violectric V280 & DSHA-3F).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back