ZMF Auteur Thread
May 20, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #8,386 of 8,441
113: NO !! You'll be sorry !! Keep the ash, earn the cash !! Aegis will still be there !!

May 21, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #8,387 of 8,441
Strong opinions from both sides! I like it!

My way of handling it is to ask such a premium for my Ash set that it will be nearly impossible to find a buyer. That way I can tell the practical side of my brain that I tried to sell it, but in the end, after it doesn’t sell, I’ll get to see how great it sounds on an Aegis!

May 21, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #8,388 of 8,441
Don't do it! Those are too stunning to let go.
Ashwood is the bestwood !! Don’t do it 😢

IMG_3983.jpeg

May 21, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #8,389 of 8,441
Ashwood is the bestwood !! Don’t do it 😢

IMG_3983.jpeg
You’re preaching to the choir! I have a beautiful set of Ash Atrium Closed on my head right now!

May 21, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #8,390 of 8,441
May 25, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #8,391 of 8,441
IMG_0397.jpeg

IMG_0400.jpeg

I’ve been spending a lot of time with my VCs lately but decided to break out my Auteur OGs again tonight.

I’ve had these for a long time but didn’t fully fall in love with them until I got a tube amp. With the Folkvangr they’re absolute magic and have a different flavor of sound from the VCs while still unmistakably ZMF.

I also have to give a shoutout to Zach about these because he responded to me personally on a thread on Reddit a few years ago where I’d mentioned I liked the idea of the Auteurs but didn’t like the appearance of the Ambrosia Maple which was the stock wood at the time. He let me know he had a limited amount of Wenge Autuers available so I decided to jump on one and it’s still one of the loveliest woods IMO.

May 26, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #8,392 of 8,441
Hear to say something very important for those that haven't tried an Auteur OG and are on the fence. The ZMF Auteur OG can be bought for less than $1k or maybe a bit more for rarer woods, and even still can confidently outperform most headphones in the sub $2k bracket. The only headphone that I've heard above that is the Verite open which I liked a lot but not for certain vocal heavy genres, amazing for layered music though.

Words to describe the Auteur OG for me would be accurate, fluid, pleasurable/palpable, and a blissful lushness. If you want to put on your headphones and just listen to your favorite songs without immediately being reminded of a headphone's shortcomings, you really need to try these babies. At the used price point for the OG I would not recommend any other open back dynamic headphone, unless you found something cheaper that also works for you. For me, idk if I could ever love another headphone as much as this one. As soon as I put it on, I'm already into the music. Not fatigued by comfort or flat dynamics or unnatural bass texture. To me the ZMF Auteur OG has everything and its insane to me how much I prefer it to everything else I've tried over the years.

May 26, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #8,393 of 8,441
On another note, anyone here have cable recommendations for the OG? When I first got these I remember really liking the xlr OFC cable, but my setup has changed so much and I no longer have that cable. I am using an amplifier surgery xlr now and it feels a little weak in overall resolution. I've re-terminated a couple times and the wire is four wires of unbraided, pvc insulated stranded copper. Good but not great.

Thought about getting a DIY zmf cable pack but not sure what wire type to choose. Leaning Michanikós

May 26, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #8,394 of 8,441
On another note, anyone here have cable recommendations for the OG? When I first got these I remember really liking the xlr OFC cable, but my setup has changed so much and I no longer have that cable. I am using an amplifier surgery xlr now and it feels a little weak in overall resolution. I've re-terminated a couple times and the wire is four wires of unbraided, pvc insulated stranded copper. Good but not great.

Thought about getting a DIY zmf cable pack but not sure what wire type to choose. Leaning Michanikós

I got cables from a place called Audiophile Ninja. Perhaps a bit pricy but they are very good quality. https://www.audiophileninja.com/

May 26, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #8,395 of 8,441
IMG_0397.jpeg

IMG_0400.jpeg

I’ve been spending a lot of time with my VCs lately but decided to break out my Auteur OGs again tonight.

I’ve had these for a long time but didn’t fully fall in love with them until I got a tube amp. With the Folkvangr they’re absolute magic and have a different flavor of sound from the VCs while still unmistakably ZMF.

I also have to give a shoutout to Zach about these because he responded to me personally on a thread on Reddit a few years ago where I’d mentioned I liked the idea of the Auteurs but didn’t like the appearance of the Ambrosia Maple which was the stock wood at the time. He let me know he had a limited amount of Wenge Autuers available so I decided to jump on one and it’s still one of the loveliest woods IMO.
Received a Musician Draco and Feliks Audio Echo Mkii in recent weeks, and it has me glued to my Auteur OGs since then. I have had the Auteurs for a while now and liked them, but found myself gravitating to others in my collection more often - but now that have rocketed up to the top of rotation. Truly exceptional headphones, and bring something beautiful to the experience of listening to- and being transported by - music.

May 26, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #8,396 of 8,441

I buy from OpenHeart on AliExpress. Quality cables and connectors, attractive, and the price is right.

May 26, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #8,397 of 8,441
Hear to say something very important for those that haven't tried an Auteur OG and are on the fence. The ZMF Auteur OG can be bought for less than $1k or maybe a bit more for rarer woods, and even still can confidently outperform most headphones in the sub $2k bracket. The only headphone that I've heard above that is the Verite open which I liked a lot but not for certain vocal heavy genres, amazing for layered music though.

Words to describe the Auteur OG for me would be accurate, fluid, pleasurable/palpable, and a blissful lushness. If you want to put on your headphones and just listen to your favorite songs without immediately being reminded of a headphone's shortcomings, you really need to try these babies. At the used price point for the OG I would not recommend any other open back dynamic headphone, unless you found something cheaper that also works for you. For me, idk if I could ever love another headphone as much as this one. As soon as I put it on, I'm already into the music. Not fatigued by comfort or flat dynamics or unnatural bass texture. To me the ZMF Auteur OG has everything and its insane to me how much I prefer it to everything else I've tried over the years.
Despite how great the Auteur OG are, mine have been sitting for sale for months at a great price (sub-$1k) with no takers. Weird. Nobody seems to want them, except the ludicrous low ballers.

May 26, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #8,399 of 8,441
Despite how great the Auteur OG are, mine have been sitting for sale for months at a great price (sub-$1k) with no takers. Weird. Nobody seems to want them, except the ludicrous low ballers.
Maybe nobody likes teak? idk, sure looks pretty to me! IMHO the used market for headphones above $500 has gotten drier and drier since the end of covid lock down. It's odd. Buying/selling anything hobby related after covid has really felt different. Before it seemed like you could buy and sell just about anything at a respectable price, now it's like some things sell and some things don't. I bought a used pair of LCD-3's last year for $650 and I wish I kept them, cause there isn't a single LCD-3 available less than a grand now. Just an odd time in the market, and I think you should just wait a few more months and maybe drop to $800 after that. My Wenge OG was $850 this time last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back