ZMF Auteur Thread
May 26, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #8,416 of 8,464
On another note, anyone here have cable recommendations for the OG? When I first got these I remember really liking the xlr OFC cable, but my setup has changed so much and I no longer have that cable. I am using an amplifier surgery xlr now and it feels a little weak in overall resolution. I've re-terminated a couple times and the wire is four wires of unbraided, pvc insulated stranded copper. Good but not great.

Thought about getting a DIY zmf cable pack but not sure what wire type to choose. Leaning Michanikós
I did not like the Michanikos/Auteur combo at all. It took away so much of the bass impact and softened the overall sound of the Auteurs too much. It upped the resolution for sure, with a very smooth treble presentation, but I wouldn't use it.

I'm using the Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid HPC, and love it. It's a hybrid silver/copper (not silver-plated copper), and I think it carries the best qualities of both. It has a noticeably larger stage than other cables I've used with it, but with just as much bass punch and engagement. I've always wanted to try the higher end ZMF cables, like the 2K copper and palladium, but both cost a good bit more.

May 26, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #8,418 of 8,464
I got cables from a place called Audiophile Ninja. Perhaps a bit pricy but they are very good quality. https://www.audiophileninja.com/
Agreed. And I use Audiophile Ninja XLR --> TRS adapters:
IMG_8138.jpeg
☑️👍

May 27, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #8,419 of 8,464
May 30, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #8,420 of 8,464
... plus the joy of rediscovery when they get some 'headtime' in the rotation ... 😲
Well, I decided this morning, before work to take the Auteur out of their case and give them a go. It's been many months (maybe 4 or 5 months) since I listened to them. First on the Flux Mentor solid state amp- WOW, great dynamics and staging. Crisp and lively. Then I decided to go into a tube amp, because that warmth and remembering something about ZMF and tube amps pairing extremely well. I warmed up the Woo WA22 and DAMN!! Sound stage is a bit wider and vocals really come to life. Maybe me trying to sell these and having no luck is a sign from the universe that these need to stay put.

May 30, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #8,421 of 8,464
Auteur OG really benefits from the control and tightness of SS amps. So much so that I'm currently questioning if it's worth it to trade all that for the extra mid range euphonics that you get from tubes. The OG drivers are already fast and tonaly sweet that I think I might prefer SS with them instead of the exaggeration they give with tubes.

May 30, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #8,422 of 8,464
Auteur OG really benefits from the control and tightness of SS amps. So much so that I'm currently questioning if it's worth it to trade all that for the extra mid range euphonics that you get from tubes. The OG drivers are already fast and tonaly sweet that I think I might prefer SS with them instead of the exaggeration they give with tubes.
I’m hoping you’re wrong since I just bought an Aegis! I guess a really nice tube amp can give you the best of both worlds. That’s my hope at least!

May 30, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #8,423 of 8,464
I can’t say I agree, but it could have been the solid state amps I tried.

I never really loved the Auteur OGs or got what the fuss was about until I tried them on tubes.

With the Massdrop THX AAA 789, RME ADI-2 DAC built in amp, and the Schiit Ragnarok 2 I always thought they looked beautiful but sounded too closed in, muffled, and sub-par.

Pairing them with the Folkvangr brought them to life and completely changed my view about how they sound.

I haven’t tried them with my new MJ3 yet though, so that’s certainly worth a shot.

May 30, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #8,424 of 8,464
I haven’t tried them with my new MJ3 yet though, so that’s certainly worth a shot.
I also have an MJ3, and my OG Auteur sounds great on it. With that being said, I think my little SW51+ tube amp (that I just sold in anticipation of the Aegis) sounded just as good, and at times seemed to bring an added dimension to the sound the MJ3 couldn't quite match.

May 30, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #8,425 of 8,464
100% my auteur OG has the best tonality/timbre on tubes. BUT, I believe that there is something about pairing an intimate sound stage headphone with a wide staging amp that can "strain" the presentation making it less ideal. I have a questyle cma400i that I modded to have external rca input. The questyle is not wide or sparkly but it is intimate with great texture. The presentation is tight but not congested. It really turns my auteur into this absolute machine with juicy tonality. It's not on the same spacious level as other tube amps but it is different and that's why I like it.

Last edited:
May 30, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #8,426 of 8,464
100% my auteur OG has the best tonality/timbre on tubes. BUT, I believe that there is something about pairing an intimate sound stage headphone with a wide staging amp that can "strain" the presentation making it less ideal. I have a questyle cma400i that I modded to have external rca input. The questyle is not wide or sparkly but it is intimate with great texture. The presentation is tight but not congested. It really turns my auteur into this absolute machine with juicy tonality. It's not on the same spacious level as other tube amps but it is different and that's why I like it.
Ooh, I haven’t tried the CMA400i but I did do an in-home demo on the CMA Fifteen and I remember it being a great amp. I think it was before I picked up my Auteur but it made my HD650 sing more than any amp I’d tried before.

IIRC it didn’t have an option for analog input which was just too limiting so I didn’t end up buying it, but it did sound great.

May 30, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #8,427 of 8,464
Ooh, I haven’t tried the CMA400i but I did do an in-home demo on the CMA Fifteen and I remember it being a great amp. I think it was before I picked up my Auteur but it made my HD650 sing more than any amp I’d tried before.

IIRC it didn’t have an option for analog input which was just too limiting so I didn’t end up buying it, but it did sound great.

Yeah questyle is an odd brand. I'm not sure why any sane person would buy their totl amps. I suppose if you've never heard a high end DAC then they are a great combo. But the fact that the DAC portion of their units are all pretty much the same doesn't sit well with me. My 400i is an amazing SS amp with external input. I'm afraid that I wouldn't find something better until the $2k+ range.

May 30, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #8,428 of 8,464
Well, I decided this morning, before work to take the Auteur out of their case and give them a go. It's been many months (maybe 4 or 5 months) since I listened to them. First on the Flux Mentor solid state amp- WOW, great dynamics and staging. Crisp and lively. Then I decided to go into a tube amp, because that warmth and remembering something about ZMF and tube amps pairing extremely well. I warmed up the Woo WA22 and DAMN!! Sound stage is a bit wider and vocals really come to life. Maybe me trying to sell these and having no luck is a sign from the universe that these need to stay put.
That’s so awesome! And so relatable. The Auteur is like the headphone you forget is so good because it has the tendency to just sound “right” and not try to “wow” you with this or that. But with the right combo, it’s just incredible. I’ve been wanting to buy a Caldera for a while now, but I couldn’t possibly sell my Auteur in order to get it. I would miss out on so much biodyna magic.

May 30, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #8,429 of 8,464
That’s so awesome! And so relatable. The Auteur is like the headphone you forget is so good because it has the tendency to just sound “right” and not try to “wow” you with this or that. But with the right combo, it’s just incredible. I’ve been wanting to buy a Caldera for a while now, but I couldn’t possibly sell my Auteur in order to get it. I would miss out on so much biodyna magic.
I was intending to sell my Auteur Classic after getting a Caldera and I failed miserably 🤷‍♂️

May 30, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #8,430 of 8,464
Can any of you guys compare the Auteur OG to the Dan Clark Ether 2? I know the latter is planar, but curious about similarities? I ask because someone kindly offered me a trade for my Auteur and of course, I'm curious!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back