ZMF Auteur Thread
May 28, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #3,181 of 8,365
So, the following is not a review OF the Auteur, rather a little insight into my quest to find the best audio chain I can put together FOR the Auteur.

The ECP 3F is a super clean, dynamic, almost tube-like sounding amp. I know not a lot of people have heard it, but think EC Aficionado. I've mentioned this amp previously (although perhaps that was in different ZMF headphone threads, it is hard to keep track). It pairs better with Auteur than any other amp I've heard to date, SS or tube.

The Gumby is also a good pairing when using 3F + Auteur. It's neutral, has a clean sound, and stages very well. My friend lent me his Yggy as he is going out of town for a while and he knows I've heard it at shows but that I've never heard it at home where I could make a real comparison. So... Here we go.

Gumby seems reserved in the bass frequencies, less energetic and more flat sounding in comparison, and it doesn't have as holographic staging as I'm hearing out of the Yggy right now. I didn't quite expect there to be such an obvious difference between Gumby and Yggy.

I've read that the original Yggy and Gumby had their sound characteristics reversed when the analog 2 boards came out. Having owned/heard both Gumby A1, A2 and now Yggy A2, I'll confirm its mostly true. Yggy is the more dynamic and energetic listen now. It also has better staging, resolution and detail retrieval, and it's certainly the better and more engaging sounding DAC in this chain.

All of this is very disappointing. (Not really.) I've been telling myself Gumby was good enough, and I don't need to upgrade. Having just demoed the Soekris 1421 and Matrix SaberX Pro MQA for a week each in my home, I found that neither one could convince me that they could adequately improve upon or replace my Gumby. Soekris was too flat and soft sounding. The Matrix, while being the hands down best saber chip DAC I've ever heard, was like a slightly edgy, hashy, and/or digital sounding Gumby with worse staging. Both were different, but neither was better than the Gumby. Yggy is different and better.

So, no... I don't NEED to upgrade, but Yggy is clearly the better DAC for this chain. I'm going to get one. When depends. I think Jason mentioned a new USB project in the works, and they usually release new stuff before RMAF. I'll wait until then, I think. I don't want to have to ship it back or tear it apart for an upgrade.
Damn! Now I am saving up for the Yggy! My bank account thanks you. :o2smile:

May 29, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #3,182 of 8,365
Has anyone tried the Auteurs with the Bottlehead Mainline?? I’m finding myself very dissatisfied with the way my JDS Labs Atom presents my Atticus in my office setup when compared to my CTH which I have at home. It’s caused my upgradeitis to flair up again; so I’m looking for something to replace my CTH with that’ll be paired with my future Auteurs. I’m willing to go up to 1k all things considered (like extra tubes, etc..)and I found a pre-built crack-a-twos for $800 (Which has like no reviews) and a pre-built Bottlehead Mainline for $900. Do these seem like amps that would pair well with the Auteur (and the Atticus)? Or do you think should I go for something else or just wait until I can afford a Mogwai SE or Pendant??
SmashBruh my friend I firmly believe you should save for the pendant! I just recently purchased one and honestly when I got it and let it warm up it took me all of 5 min to post my other amps for sale. Seriously. Lyr 3 and Darkvoice. The more I listen to the Pendant the more I love it. I cannot put into words what it makes me feel like. I can't listen to it before I go to work or I will want to call in to work. It's really that good of an amp. U can get it cheaper in a amp/phone combo package.

May 30, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #3,183 of 8,365
SmashBruh my friend I firmly believe you should save for the pendant! I just recently purchased one and honestly when I got it and let it warm up it took me all of 5 min to post my other amps for sale. Seriously. Lyr 3 and Darkvoice. The more I listen to the Pendant the more I love it. I cannot put into words what it makes me feel like. I can't listen to it before I go to work or I will want to call in to work. It's really that good of an amp. U can get it cheaper in a amp/phone combo package.

Bit not fair to compare your on sale amps to one that's multiple folds more expensive?

Jun 1, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #3,184 of 8,365
ZMF VÉRITÉ SILVER vs ZMF 2K COPPER
https://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-cables/verite-silver
https://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-cables/zmf-2k-copper-rbzz4

Okay boys and girls, here's a brief write up on the Verite Silver and 2K Copper cables. Just for note, my Verite Silver cable is 2-strand and un-sleeved and my 2K Copper cable is sleeved. Price wise these two configurations are the same. Also be aware that all 2-strand Verite Silver cables are pure silver with a 2K copper core. 4-strand Verite Silver cables can be configured with all pure silver (or hybrid).

BUILD

Both cables are well constructed and have several different options for upgraded connectors/splitters/sleevings. Mine have all basic connectors/splitters, but they still look and feel excellent. The biggest difference by far is the 2-strand Verite Silver cable extremely light and flexible. It barely feels like you have a cable attached to your headphones. The 2K Copper cable only comes in a 4-strand configuration and is much more robust (even more so with a sleeve). I never found it to be that cumbersome, but depending on you preferences that could be a factor.

SOUND

Here we go again... Just to get this out of the way, I do in fact believe headphone cables can in fact contribute an audible difference. However, the differences are in very subtle quantities. If you're looking to change the sound of a pair of headphones, the cable should be at the very bottom of your priorities. That being said, I found the Verite Silver cable compared to the 2K Copper cable to provide a tad more airiness and better refinement the treble region. The trade-off is there is a slight loss of low end heft, but it isn't that significant. The 2K Copper in comparison has a smoother presentation up top and a heftier bottom end than the Verite Silver. I primarily used my Zircote Verite and Blackwood Auteur when comparing these cables, and ended up pairing of the Verite w/Verite cable and the Auteur w/2K Copper. I felt those combinations matched up the best for my preferences.

CONCLUSION

So which one should you buy? Well both is the correct answer, but I suppose if you only need one I can't recommend one over the other. I suggest you try to match up what fits in your chain the best and choose accordingly. Both are fantastic premium cables at a reasonable price. The wait/build time is also very good compared to many other headphone cable makers.

***Also as of this post's date until JULY 1ST, the VERITE SILVER cables are 20% off!***

The whole gang...

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #3,186 of 8,365
Love the family photo...my Cocobolo Auteurs shipped out yesterday, and I am looking forward to starting my own little ZMF tribe!

If you could keep only one of those headphones, would it be an easy decision on which it would be?

Best,

Thanks, you'll love the 'bolo Auteur. Man, only keep one??? That'd be tough. I'm still breaking in the Verite and Aeolus. I love the Verite in a lot of ways, especially it's technical prowess. The Blackwood Auteur has a very rich, but balanced sound. I'd go back and forth depending on specific tracks which I liked better between it and the Auteur. The Atticus is probably the dark horse though. You pair that headphone up with the right chain and tube amp and it's special. Just an incredibly huge, fun sound that pulls you into the music. So I probably couldn't just keep one. I'd keep the Atticus and one of the open backs.

Jun 1, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #3,187 of 8,365
I was afraid you would say that :darthsmile:.

I had the blackwood Auteur and loved it so much I wanted to get my own signed wooden card!

I'm looking at replacing my Cascades with either an eikon or an Atticus, and now even more so an Atticus.

The Cascades are fantastic fun headphones, but something about wooden headphones...

Jun 2, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #3,188 of 8,365
I was afraid you would say that :darthsmile:.

I had the blackwood Auteur and loved it so much I wanted to get my own signed wooden card!

I'm looking at replacing my Cascades with either an eikon or an Atticus, and now even more so an Atticus.

The Cascades are fantastic fun headphones, but something about wooden headphones...

I thought I was the only one that thought like that. The only headphones that have my name on the wooden card is my Aeolus and Verite. I’ve been itching to get all my others with my name too.

There’s something about wood in general for me. I really admire the craftsmanship and the fact that no other piece is the same. I’ve sold almost all my gear and switched to ZMF.

Jun 2, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #3,189 of 8,365
Its interesting. When I first had the Verite on loan I felt the same way,but now that I own it and have had more time with it,I feel its more laid back vs. Auteur.
Granted the tubes I use for the Verite accentuate the 3D imaging of it,and I use the Universe pads as well.

I find the Verite to be quite dramatic in its response to tubes. I can make it sound fast and aggressive or switch tubes out and make it a lot less intense and closer to laid back. The Auteur on the other hand I don’t find tube switching to morph it as much as the Verite. IMO
I was replying to the other user about the verite, since he suggested it is much faster than the auteur and thus much better suited for metal genres. Sorry if that got mixed up in my quote replies.

I do enjoy my detail, but not at the sacrifice of overall enjoyment. I like a warm tilt or at least smoother treble, but I dont like slow, dark, and soft in the bass headphones, thats what I would consider the lcd 2. I guess now I'm looking between auteur or ether c flow 1.1, as they are the same price and both the closest to my preference in sound as far as I can tell from reviews and personal experience with alpha primes.

I really wish you could listen to the Aeolus... I think its such a musical headphone without sacrificing a lot of detail. With this said though, I find there to be better separation with the Auteur, and from what you described as wanting might fit you better for metal (I am thinking in particular usually fast kick drums?). The Auteur would allow you to pick more of it apart, where as the Aeolus might be too powerful in the bass dept, rending the rest of spectrum more difficult to make out. This is one of the only specific genres btw that would make me question the Aeolus. Everything else was was so dang fun to listen to...

In regards to the Ether 1.1 I’m a fan of it. But I personally need more bass quantity to make it truly enjoyable for me. When I was working at MTME I would use the Ether matched up with an ifi Black Label just so I could use the bass boost. With that combo I really enjoyed it. Without the bass boost it’s a pretty neutral headphone and I would say to the point of polite sounding.

The Ether 2 that came out not too long ago (I think out of your intended budget?) I found to be a lot faster then the Ether 1.1 and I was impressed by that... the bass amount seemed to stay the same with me.

Jun 2, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #3,190 of 8,365
I find the Verite to be quite dramatic in its response to tubes. I can make it sound fast and aggressive or switch tubes out and make it a lot less intense and closer to laid back. The Auteur on the other hand I don’t find tube switching to morph it as much as the Verite. IMO

I really wish you could listen to the Aeolus... I think its such a musical headphone without sacrificing a lot of detail. With this said though, I find there to be better separation with the Auteur, and from what you described as wanting might fit you better for metal (I am thinking in particular usually fast kick drums?). The Auteur would allow you to pick more of it apart, where as the Aeolus might be too powerful in the bass dept, rending the rest of spectrum more difficult to make out. This is one of the only specific genres btw that would make me question the Aeolus. Everything else was was so dang fun to listen to...

In regards to the Ether 1.1 I’m a fan of it. But I personally need more bass quantity to make it truly enjoyable for me. When I was working at MTME I would use the Ether matched up with an ifi Black Label just so I could use the bass boost. With that combo I really enjoyed it. Without the bass boost it’s a pretty neutral headphone and I would say to the point of polite sounding.

The Ether 2 that came out not too long ago (I think out of your intended budget?) I found to be a lot faster then the Ether 1.1 and I was impressed by that... the bass amount seemed to stay the same with me.
Would you by chance be able to give the Auteur a spin on the Phatlab Sassy II if possible? Had seen you on that respective thread a while back so not sure if you still have access to it.

I have the Sassy GT and am awaiting my Auteur order, curious to hear how you think it drives it, maybe relative to any comparable desktop amps as reference :L3000:

Jun 2, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #3,191 of 8,365

Absolutely. I already have aggressive,upfront headphones in my collection,so I roll it to be as "laidback" as possible. I dont really find so much laidback as I do holographic.

Jun 2, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #3,192 of 8,365
Would you by chance be able to give the Auteur a spin on the Phatlab Sassy II if possible? Had seen you on that respective thread a while back so not sure if you still have access to it.

I have the Sassy GT and am awaiting my Auteur order, curious to hear how you think it drives it, maybe relative to any comparable desktop amps as reference :L3000:
If MTME still had it then I would gladly go back for a listen! Sorry but they have since sold all their Phatlab stuff...

Jun 3, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #3,193 of 8,365
If MTME still had it then I would gladly go back for a listen! Sorry but they have since sold all their Phatlab stuff...
No worries at all, thanks anyways! I'll post impressions on the pairing soon :L3000:

Jun 3, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #3,194 of 8,365
What a wonderful family portrait @heliosphann

Great pic.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #3,195 of 8,365
DSC_4906.JPG

Just love when FedEx shows up a day early!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back