ZMF Auteur Thread
May 19, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #3,151 of 8,281
Its interesting. When I first had the Verite on loan I felt the same way,but now that I own it and have had more time with it,I feel its more laid back vs. Auteur.
Granted the tubes I use for the Verite accentuate the 3D imaging of it,and I use the Universe pads as well.

That is very interesting, now that you have them tuned to your liking, you find them more laid back and lush.
Great to have choices like ear pads and tubes :)

May 19, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #3,152 of 8,281
That is very interesting, now that you have them tuned to your liking, you find them more laid back and lush.
Great to have choices like ear pads and tubes :)

Yeah,I mean the flexibility of the Verite is great. Between rolling pads and tubes I can make it sound vastly different.
Already owning 4 highly aggressive sounding headphones(3 Sextetts and original AD2000) it suits my collection and preferences to make the Verite sound the way it does,different than the others mentioned above.

Why are we talking about the Verite in the Auteur thread?!?

:nerd:

May 19, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #3,153 of 8,281
Yeah,I mean the flexibility of the Verite is great. Between rolling pads and tubes I can make it sound vastly different.
Already owning 4 highly aggressive sounding headphones(3 Sextetts and original AD2000) it suits my collection and preferences to make the Verite sound the way it does,different than the others mentioned above.

Why are we talking about the Verite in the Auteur thread?!?

:nerd:

Opps, sometimes I can forget what ZMF thread I am in :poop:

May 23, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #3,155 of 8,281
Probably doesn't change your point too much, but Zach told me the Maple they use for the Ambrosia Maple Auteur is actually Hard Maple, so it has a bit higher Janka rating than Teak, for what it's worth. I had assumed it was softer.

Hard maple is very hard, indeed. More so than oak, teak, or many commonly encountered woods. I've used a lot of in various projects.

Here's an informative Janka hardness chart for reference: http://tinytimbers.com/pdf/chart_janka.pdf

Some interesting factoids in this chart:
  • Notice that African cherry (a wood I've never seen) is nearly double the hardness of American cherry--and Brazilian cherry is easily 3X the hardness of American cherry
  • And Brazilian teak is >3X harder than standard teak

May 23, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #3,156 of 8,281
Probably doesn't change your point too much, but Zach told me the Maple they use for the Ambrosia Maple Auteur is actually Hard Maple, so it has a bit higher Janka rating than Teak, for what it's worth. I had assumed it was softer.
Oh damn, is it?
I thought I was getting one of the ambrosia maple auteurs but my auteur ended up arriving in teak. It's a gorgeous pair that sounds beautiful so it's hard to complain; but I do wonder what the ambrosia maple would've sounded like...

Though, tbh, my biggest regret of all is just not going for the cocobolo. All the cocobolo pairs are SO nice!

Also, I thought I'd report in with some amp experiences!

The auteur pairing with the Bottlehead mainline is really nice. It's the most natural listening experience I've had in my entire life and when you pair it with a good enough DAC (in my case the gungnir multibit) you can almost see the orchestra/musicians in front of you. My only complaints with it are the overly smooth treble and lack of sound body in general.

Enter the ZMF Pendant- I've only had this one for a week or so now and it's been constantly plagued by RFI/EMI buzzing. I've realized for some reason it'll pick up a lot of interference if I use it in the half of the house I'd usually use it in, but if I take it to the other side of the house it's fine. I've been unable to locate the source of the noise as I've systematically unplugged every single piece of electronics in that side of the home and the sound still persists. I've even tried power conditioners just in case it's a dirty power issue but alas that didn't work either. I've recently ordered some copper mesh for it and I'm going to be building a Faliday cage of sorts to cover the top of the tubes and transformers. Hopefully that fixes the issue. That said- The Pendant is a super fun namp! It slams, it thumps, it's trebles have the potential to tickle your brain, etc... It's not as natural sounding as the mainline but it has DAT BODY and it's veeery romantic in comparison. I also super appreciate being able to roll tubes more! I think it also feels faster than the mainline, but I still need to a/b them more closely before I solidly come to that conclusion.
I've found the noise floor of the amp to be a bit grey in comparison to the mainline's which makes it worse at pin-point imaging than the mainline but it still performs solidly. I've also doesn't present microdetails as well as the mainline but that might also be a symptom of the Gumby being moved to a different side of the house with the amp a couple of hours prior. (I know it's best if those things stay plugged in.)

Overall I really love the pendant and hope I can continue to evaluate it/ keep it but I really need to solve that noise issue....
Either way I can't wait to a/b the mainline and the pendant further this weekend! :)

May 23, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #3,157 of 8,281
Hard maple is very hard, indeed. More so than oak, teak, or many commonly encountered woods. I've used a lot of in various projects.

Here's an informative Janka hardness chart for reference: http://tinytimbers.com/pdf/chart_janka.pdf

Some interesting factoids in this chart:
  • Notice that African cherry (a wood I've never seen) is nearly double the hardness of American cherry--and Brazilian cherry is easily 3X the hardness of American cherry
  • And Brazilian teak is >3X harder than standard teak
This is what happens when a different species looks similar to a commonly used one. Marketing steps in and screws things up. Mahogany, for example. Not only are some types of mahogany of a different genus, in many cases they're in completely different families (aka, not related at all). Sometimes they have the sense to call a spade a spade, like in the case of sepele. It's bloody confusing.

https://www.wood-database.com/wp-content/uploads/mahogany-families.pdf

May 23, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #3,158 of 8,281
I've even tried power conditioners just in case it's a dirty power issue but alas that didn't work either.

What power conditioner did you use? I had a similar situation,tried different conditioners that didnt fix the issue. @Hansotek recommended the PS Audio Dectet. Fixed the issue entirely.

May 23, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #3,159 of 8,281
What power conditioner did you use? I had a similar situation,tried different conditioners that didnt fix the issue. @Hansotek recommended the PS Audio Dectet. Fixed the issue entirely.
First I tried a Furman SS-6B then I tried the Furman PL-8C. Neither did anything to the noise, however, I found if I loosely surround the amp in aluminum it decreases the amount of noise significantly. I can’t for the life of me figure out the source as there doesn’t seem to me precise directionality on the signal however i’ve noticed putting aluminum in front and to the left of the amp make the most significant changes. Because of that I thought that airborne interference was probably the more likely culprit.

The PS-Audio Detect is also a little bit of a stretch for me at the moment so I think I should at least give the attempted fariday shield a shot before I drop that much on a power conditioner. :T

May 23, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #3,160 of 8,281
First I tried a Furman SS-6B then I tried the Furman PL-8C.

Hope you get it sorted out. Noise drives me insane.
FWIW one of the conditioners I tried that didnt work was a Furman .

May 23, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #3,161 of 8,281
Hope you get it sorted out. Noise drives me insane.
FWIW one of the conditioners I tried that didnt work was a Furman .
I hope so too! I'll definitely keep the PS-Audio in mind if the cage doesn't work.

May I ask which was the Furman unit you used that didn't work for you? Just to keep in mind for the future

May 23, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #3,163 of 8,281
Oh damn, is it?
I thought I was getting one of the ambrosia maple auteurs but my auteur ended up arriving in teak. It's a gorgeous pair that sounds beautiful so it's hard to complain; but I do wonder what the ambrosia maple would've sounded like...

Though, tbh, my biggest regret of all is just not going for the cocobolo. All the cocobolo pairs are SO nice!

Also, I thought I'd report in with some amp experiences!

The auteur pairing with the Bottlehead mainline is really nice. It's the most natural listening experience I've had in my entire life and when you pair it with a good enough DAC (in my case the gungnir multibit) you can almost see the orchestra/musicians in front of you. My only complaints with it are the overly smooth treble and lack of sound body in general.

Enter the ZMF Pendant- I've only had this one for a week or so now and it's been constantly plagued by RFI/EMI buzzing. I've realized for some reason it'll pick up a lot of interference if I use it in the half of the house I'd usually use it in, but if I take it to the other side of the house it's fine. I've been unable to locate the source of the noise as I've systematically unplugged every single piece of electronics in that side of the home and the sound still persists. I've even tried power conditioners just in case it's a dirty power issue but alas that didn't work either. I've recently ordered some copper mesh for it and I'm going to be building a Faliday cage of sorts to cover the top of the tubes and transformers. Hopefully that fixes the issue. That said- The Pendant is a super fun namp! It slams, it thumps, it's trebles have the potential to tickle your brain, etc... It's not as natural sounding as the mainline but it has DAT BODY and it's veeery romantic in comparison. I also super appreciate being able to roll tubes more! I think it also feels faster than the mainline, but I still need to a/b them more closely before I solidly come to that conclusion.
I've found the noise floor of the amp to be a bit grey in comparison to the mainline's which makes it worse at pin-point imaging than the mainline but it still performs solidly. I've also doesn't present microdetails as well as the mainline but that might also be a symptom of the Gumby being moved to a different side of the house with the amp a couple of hours prior. (I know it's best if those things stay plugged in.)

Overall I really love the pendant and hope I can continue to evaluate it/ keep it but I really need to solve that noise issue....
Either way I can't wait to a/b the mainline and the pendant further this weekend! :)

One way to possibly isolate it is to systematically shut off breakers until you find the culprit. Especially since it's changing depending where you have it located.

May 23, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #3,164 of 8,281
First I tried a Furman SS-6B then I tried the Furman PL-8C. Neither did anything to the noise, however, I found if I loosely surround the amp in aluminum it decreases the amount of noise significantly. I can’t for the life of me figure out the source as there doesn’t seem to me precise directionality on the signal however i’ve noticed putting aluminum in front and to the left of the amp make the most significant changes. Because of that I thought that airborne interference was probably the more likely culprit.

The PS-Audio Detect is also a little bit of a stretch for me at the moment so I think I should at least give the attempted fariday shield a shot before I drop that much on a power conditioner. :T

There are 2 PS Audio Duets on ebay right now for around $250. I have one of those too, and the sound isolation is the same as the Dectet for half the price. It just has 4 plugs instead of 10.

These almost NEVER go on sale. These two are the first ones I've found since I bought mine. If you have power issues, it's going to be a game-changer. The difference between that and the Furman crap is night and day. Not even remotely exaggerating.

May 23, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #3,165 of 8,281
One way to possibly isolate it is to systematically shut off breakers until you find the culprit. Especially since it's changing depending where you have it located.
Well, maybe I'm crazy, I think it's actually coming from the windows on that side of the house?It kind of seems like the closer I get to that area the louder the noise gets. I'll give it a shot later on but I really don't know how systematically shutting off the breakers would help though. Do you think there might be some bad wiring in the walls of that side of the house that's outputting airborne emis or something?? I know it's not a wireless signal from within my house as I've experimented with disconnecting all the electronics in the house to try and track down the culprit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back