ZMF Auteur Thread
Jun 23, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #1,726 of 8,390
Nice pics everyone!

So thus far we've seen the Auteur in Teak, Blackwood, Padauk, Cocobolo, Ash and Walnut. Wonder what's next :)

Don't forget my favorite:

Silkwood

29095624_583146562043806_5660476818331795456_n.jpg

Reference: https://www.pictadesk.com/post/BgxIwXCAl1b

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #1,728 of 8,390
Yeah how could I let that slip past me lol

How does the Auteur sound with the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid? Also update us when you recieve the Glenn OTL :)

I was initially surprised that the little amp pairs really well with the Auteurs. Bass could be tighter and it's not as punchy as when paired with TOTL amps but those are small complaints for a $200 amp.

The 6C8G Tung-Sol input tube adds nice timbre, tonality, and the spaciousness. I'm happy. :)

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #1,729 of 8,390
For my tastes, I think the Blackwood/Brass with high-gloss is the nicest looking headphone of all time. It also is an exceptional piece of kit, which helps. :)

Jun 23, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #1,734 of 8,390
Just joining the club thanks to @hikaru12

Ah I remember Hikaru selling his pair in the FS thread with the stand. Welcome to the club and how are you liking them so far?

@hikaru12 did you end up staying with the Audeze LCD-3s instead or going with the Blackwood?

Jun 23, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #1,735 of 8,390
Ah I remember Hikaru selling his pair in the FS thread with the stand. Welcome to the club and how are you liking them so far?

@hikaru12 did you end up staying with the Audeze LCD-3s instead or going with the Blackwood?

@petervenkman - glad for a successful sale! They look great!

@Phantaminum - They were the LCD 2's actually and yes I did. I recently got the Jotunheim to drive them and at first I wasn't sure on the pairing but after dialing them in and getting some new Colorado XLR's and leaving the Jot on overnight I am definitely happy with this combination. Everything is so much more dynamic! Sometimes I feel like the bass can get in the way at high volumes which I heard was corrected in the 2016 revision of these cans so if these ever die on me I'll probably be going with the LCD 2's again. I didn't care for the LCD 3's tbh.

I've considered going with the Auteurs again but in Ash as they simply look stunning and pairing it with a Cavalli Hybrid. I got plenty of Vokshod and 6DJ8 tubes around so having a tube amp that only requires one tube helps calm the tube rolling nervosa lol. Would make an excellent bedroom setup. The micro-detail and mids of the Auteurs are superb for relaxing to. Acoustic music sounds way better on the Auteurs as well as it's neutral profile with the right added thickness and warmth keeps acoustic guitars clean and clear with the body they need to sound real. I plan on sticking with this thread for a long time to come!

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #1,737 of 8,390
I'm wondering how people experience the first 100 to 200 hours with their Auters. I know Zach does some burn-in before shipping, but is there Is there significant change with additional burn-in hours?

Jun 23, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #1,738 of 8,390
I'm wondering how people experience the first 100 to 200 hours with their Auters. I know Zach does some burn-in before shipping, but is there Is there significant change with additional burn-in hours?

The difference between Zach's pair and a new pair is pretty startling. These need to burn-in. Mine have started to sound a bit more soft but it's still improving steadily I feel. Maybe like 100-200hrs in so far.

Jun 23, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #1,739 of 8,390
Got over 200 on mine and they are still improving every couple of days. Really fleshed out in the upper mids and highs after 200. Started really opening up after 150. Now they just sound more relaxed and effortless with incremental changes across the board!

Jun 23, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #1,740 of 8,390
These break-in comments sound promising. My Ash Auteurs just arrived this past Thursday and while they sound great, they are not perfect. I am not particularly sensitive to highs (I have been quite happy with Grado SR-80i for many years) but the Auteurs did sound a bit bright. They now have forty hours or so on them and do seem to be mellowing a bit. I am really looking forward to hearing what they are like with more time on them.

J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back