ZMF Auteur Thread
Jun 20, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #1,696 of 8,334
Fatigue mostly, HD 650’s are very easy on the ears and mixing can be done for hours on end, although imo it’s better to limit it to 1 to 2 hours a day to keep your ears fresh.

With a good powerful SS amp the veil is as good as gone and the dark sound gets raised into something more neutral yet slightly dark.

Fatigue is another great reason to grab a darker headphone. Personally, I find the comfort is more important in that regard and I can work with the 800 for long periods just fine, but everyone has different ears with different sensitivities.

Jun 21, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #1,697 of 8,334
ZMF 2k cable

I got the 2k cable in for my Auteur a few weeks ago and have been meaning to comment on them.

Let me preface by saying cables make a subtle difference. Don't go in expecting a night/day change. It does a great job of fine tuning your system though.

I'm currently using my Auteur with suede Eikon perforated pads. This gives some benefits of both the stock lambskin pads for the Auteur (perforated Auteur and Eikon). It was a little too energetic up top for me though. Not enough to bother most people I'm sure but I like a warm tilt to my sound. This cable brought it in line just enough to make the suede pad pairing excellent for me. That super thick copper wire definitely brings out the bass a bit more. It seems that it brings out some more inner details making for a more involved listen as well. This cable does darken the sound a tiny amount. If your wanting the sound tilted in the other direction, Zach has a silver cable ($249) that may be worth checking out.

Craftsmanship is excellent. Very well made and robust. It is my understanding that there will be customization options for these (different wood splitters and jacks, colored sleeves) so you will probably be able to get one to match your headphones if you want.

This cable is at $399. I'd recommend anyone with Zach's dynamics to have a look, however it is good to keep this in mind whenever upgrading your system:
Headphone > amp >= source > cables/conditioners/etc.

Here are some pics of my cable. The pads pictured are the suede perforated Eikon pads. I used the flash in a couple shots to try and show the detail a little better. The case you see is made out of cowhide and will be included in 2k cable orders iirc.

IMG_20180613_213111.jpg
IMG_20180613_213133.jpg
IMG_20180613_213434.jpg
IMG_20180613_213530.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #1,699 of 8,334
ZMF 2k cable

I got the 2k cable in for my Auteur a few weeks ago and have been meaning to comment on them.

Let me preface by saying cables make a subtle difference. Don't go in expecting a night/day change. It does a great job of fine tuning your system though.

I'm currently using my Auteur with suede Eikon perforated pads. This gives some benefits of both the stock lambskin pads for the Auteur (perforated Auteur and Eikon). It was a little too energetic up top for me though. Not enough to bother most people I'm sure but I like a warm tilt to my sound. This cable brought it in line just enough to make the suede pad pairing excellent for me. That super thick copper wire definitely brings out the bass a bit more. It seems that it brings out some more inner details making for a more involved listen as well. This cable does darken the sound a tiny amount. If your wanting the sound tilted in the other direction, Zach has a silver cable for $249.

Craftsmanship is excellent. Very well made and robust. It is my understanding that there will be customization options for these (different wood splitters and jacks, colored sleeves) so you will probably be able to get one to match your headphones if you want.

This cable is at $399. I'd recommend anyone with Zach's dynamics to have a look. Cables at this tier are a luxary though, don't spend money you don't have on one. It is also good to keep this in mind whenever your upgrading your system:
Headphone > amp >= source > cables/conditioners/etc.

Here are some pics of my cable. The pads pictured are the suede perforated Eikon pads. I used the flash in a couple shots to try and show the detail a little better. The case you see is made out of cowhide and will be included in 2k cable orders iirc.

I got Blackwood splitter and dark blue sleeve for my Blackwood auteurs. Did you get that case with yours ? I also bought 2nd hand 2k interconnects in xlr.

Jun 21, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #1,700 of 8,334
That's an awesome looking pouch. I just got the standard red one with mine, but I think those ones weren't in stock at the time.

I got Blackwood splitter and dark blue sleeve for my Blackwood auteurs. Did you get that case with yours ? I also bought 2nd hand 2k interconnects in xlr.

Yea, the pouch is new afaik.

Jun 21, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #1,701 of 8,334
Kevin Gilmore's disdain for EC is well known, don't take his words at face value. In my experience owning two EC amps and knowing many others who have owned EC gear, the build quality is top notch. Of course no electronics have a perfect failure rate regardless of price.

I've used Mjolnir amps before as well, very well made.

There’s not much to look at in a fully p2p amp, it’s about how it sounds! Very very happy with my ZDS, it’s the best single ended headphone amp I’ve heard.

Also, I have the Blackwood splitter, earphone plugs, and an eidolic plug. Will post pictures soon, it’s his longest 2k at 12’, tremendous!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #1,703 of 8,334
The Eikon. Perf Suede.is about 70
to 80% of of the openess, air and staging of the Auteur Lambskin perf. It's warmer and a touch softer in the upper registers with a hint more mid and upper bass. But not nearly as much as the Eikon lambskin perf. It is significantly less so in that regard. It is much more open sounding than Eikon lambskin perf but not quite up to the Auteur lambskin perf. Much prefer it to the Eikon Lambskin perf. Still overall would take it as second choice to Auteur Lambskin perf.

Jun 22, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #1,704 of 8,334
With a couple of days worth of head time, I've come to the brief conclusion that either the Auteur is super picky about little details in the audio chain, or my ears are just very very picky. It might be both.
In this sense, it really reminds me of the HD800. A true chameleon to what it is fed. This is most likely due to how transparent both of the headphones are.

I've been pairing the Auteur with my DNA Stratus. With 5 different sets of power tubes, 5 different driver tubes, and 3 different rectifier tubes, you can bet that I haven't tried every single tube combination and spent ample time to evaluate each with the Auteur. For the combinations I have tried, I have easily been able to hear differences from one combination to the next.
Comparatively speaking, the differences were certainly easier for my ears to discern than trying to pick out the differences in lenses during an eye exam.

Doctor: "Tell me which one is clearer, 1... or 2?"
Me: "Uhhh 1... no 2... wait, can you do it again?"
Doctor: "Ok, 1...... or 2?"
Me: "I think 1... but maybe 2. I don't know, they look so similar... No, definitely 2, but 2 gives me headaches because it's too clear"
Doctor: *sigh*

The majority of combinations sounded good from the Auteur, but there would be something in the sound that prevented it from sounding great.
For example:
One combination of tubes may have added just the right amount of air for the Auteur to sound more open, but at the same time vocals became too soft and out of focus.
Or one would increase overall slam and authority at the cost of resolution and an overly aggressive 'shouty' sound.
Or one would be able to highlight microdetails in a way that 'you could hear things you had never heard before' however then the track would sound far too analytical and disjointed.

In the end, I do think I found a tube combination that pairs superbly with the Auteur for my personal tastes. I remember taking the same journey with the HD800. Finding synergy with either of these headphones is exhausting, but also very rewarding.

Jun 22, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #1,705 of 8,334
The Eikon. Perf Suede.is about 70
to 80% of of the openess, air and staging of the Auteur Lambskin perf. It's warmer and a touch softer in the upper registers with a hint more mid and upper bass. But not nearly as much as the Eikon lambskin perf. It is significantly less so in that regard. It is much more open sounding than Eikon lambskin perf but not quite up to the Auteur lambskin perf. Much prefer it to the Eikon Lambskin perf. Still overall would take it as second choice to Auteur Lambskin perf.

Thanks for the comparison! I ordered them from Zach a few days ago and it seems to be a good choice, really adds even more versatility to the Auteur.

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #1,708 of 8,334
I am excited; don’t get me wrong. It is just interesting to see two recent posts narrating a process, moreso the latter one, to secure a sound not necessitating tweaks to avoid either fatigue or annoyance. I suppose I have the 2K on order but lack the Stratus. Was just eyebrow raising. I am sure it will be incredible!

Jun 22, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #1,709 of 8,334
I am excited; don’t get me wrong. It is just interesting to see two recent posts narrating a process, moreso the latter one, to secure a sound not necessitating tweaks to avoid either fatigue or annoyance. I suppose I have the 2K on order but lack the Stratus. Was just eyebrow raising. I am sure it will be incredible!

Don't let my short impressions get you nervous about your purchase. I have been known to be extremely picky about what I like and how I like it. My post was not intended to push potential customers or customers waiting for their Auteur away, but rather to highlight that the Auteur is something to marvel at with its ability to match the HD800 in transparency. Fine tuning a sound signature to my preference has always been a task, it was just a lengthier task with the Auteur. As an engineer and tinkerer, for better or for worse, it's in my nature to continuously attempt to squeeze out any perceived improvements.

Jun 22, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #1,710 of 8,334
If anyone with an R2R-11 wants to know how the Auteur sounds, don't worry; it sounds fantastic. And it gets plenty loud; on high gain I NEVER need to go higher than 10 o clock on the knob. Usually 9 is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back