ZMF Auteur Thread
Jun 16, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #1,666 of 8,334
Zmf sells the pavane lvl 3 for 5k might be a worthy upgrade.

Sadly way out of my budget, pretty sure the onyx delivers around 70~90% of the pavane. Even the Onyx is still rather pricey for me as a stand-alone DAC so I’ll wait around, might come across a nice second hand sale here on head-fi. :)

Jun 16, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #1,667 of 8,334
Sadly way out of my budget, pretty sure the onyx delivers around 70~90% of the pavane. Even the Onyx is still rather pricey for me as a stand-alone DAC so I’ll wait around, might come across a nice second hand sale here on head-fi. :)
Maybe keep an eye out (and be patient) for a metrum hex. A product from a generation or two ago when there was the octave ii, hex and then the pavane.

I’m not sure what the current equivalent is on the range is nowadays.

You may find one used for $1200-$2k if patient.

I can’t see myself ever selling mine

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #1,669 of 8,334
A friend of mine has the qutest (with a v281) and i thought it is very solid, clean, neutral

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #1,671 of 8,334
The Eikon pads definitely help out on a SS/Teak Auteur setup with keeping the treble from getting too hot. As I’ve stated in previous posts the midbass and mids become more forward and pronounced. There is still good definiton to the mids where the Auteurs beats a lot of it’s competition and what Zach excels at tuning for. This setup still feels dry. I’m losing hope that the Auteurs can be paired with a SS setup. It just doesnt compare to the magic of using tubes with them.

How about dynamics? The subbass is a bit deeper and probably the best you’re going to get out of a dynamic headphone. Its really good but still dry and less involving then the LCD-2.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #1,672 of 8,334
The Eikon pads definitely help out on a SS/Teak Auteur setup with keeping the treble from getting too hot. As I’ve stated in previous posts the midbass and mids become more forward and pronounced. There is still good definiton to the mids where the Auteurs beats a lot of it’s competition and what Zach excels at tuning for. This setup still feels dry. I’m losing hope that the Auteurs can be paired with a SS setup. It just doesnt compare to the magic of using tubes with them.

How about dynamics? The subbass is a bit deeper and probably the best you’re going to get out of a dynamic headphone. Its really good but still dry and less involving then the LCD-2.

Hmm...I imagine it'll pair well with an EC Black Widow but you'll have to look for one in the used market. Possibly the Cavalli Liquid Carbon since it leans warm and it's easier to obtain?

Even with the MCTH paired with a warmer tube I still had to swap the pads out to the Eikon pads because of the treble.

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #1,673 of 8,334
Hmm...I imagine it'll pair well with an EC Black Widow but you'll have to look for one in the used market. Possibly the Cavalli Liquid Carbon since it leans warm and it's easier to obtain?

Even with the MCTH paired with a warmer tube I still had to swap the pads out to the Eikon pads because of the treble.

Yeah I was thinking of that too. I’m usually not bothered by treble but the Auteur pads with a SS setup just sounds like thats too much energy stored at around 8k or so. I also miss out on a lot of microdetail. So while jt improves some aspects it takes away a lot of what makes the Auteur special and makes it an average headphone barely besting out the 650.

If I wanted to go all in I should probably listen to my own advice and get the ZDS as I’ve heard its a good pairing but I’m really just enjoying the plug and play and precision of a SS rig right now. Decisions, decisions...

Jun 16, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #1,674 of 8,334
Yeah I was thinking of that too. I’m usually not bothered by treble but the Auteur pads with a SS setup just sounds like thats too much energy stored at around 8k or so. I also miss out on a lot of microdetail. So while jt improves some aspects it takes away a lot of what makes the Auteur special and makes it an average headphone barely besting out the 650.

If I wanted to go all in I should probably listen to my own advice and get the ZDS as I’ve heard its a good pairing but I’m really just enjoying the plug and play and precision of a SS rig right now. Decisions, decisions...

If you do find an SS amp that pairs well with the Auteurs+Auteur pads that's not obtanium let us know. I've been asking myself this same question for a few months now.

Jun 16, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #1,676 of 8,334
IMHO, if you have the budget, go directly to tubes for the Auteur, it makes THAT much of a difference.

@Phantaminum - I don't think you will even bother looking elsewhere once you have your Glenn OTL.

I edited my post and was going to add a bit about Glenn's OTL, lol. What I left out was that I work on my computer at home and I feel it would be a shame if I'm not immersed into the music while say doing an Excel sheet or gaming. It's like buying a nice sports car and using it in stop and go traffic. I think I may need something utilitarian for those moments.

Jun 16, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #1,677 of 8,334
IMHO, if you have the budget, go directly to tubes for the Auteur, it makes THAT much of a difference.

@Phantaminum - I don't think you will even bother looking elsewhere once you have your Glenn OTL.

Agreed. Tubes just seem to work better with Zachs entire lineup. Don’t know if its the high impedance or the mid magic, depth, smoothness and microdetail that tubes that play off the Auteurs strengths. I feel like SS is better with Planars and things like the Focal Clears, etc. I want to reiterate theres nothing wrong with pairing Auteur with SS it’ll still sound great but they are nowhere near as good as when you use them with tubes. Like Zach said he gave us lots of customization so its about finding synergy rather than an amp that works with it. The Auteur sounds great out of just about anything but it needs careful matching to get the most out of it.

I edited my post and was going to add a bit about Glenn's OTL, lol. What I left out was that I work on my computer at home and I feel it would be a shame if I'm not immersed into the music while say doing an Excel sheet or gaming. It's like buying a nice sports car and using it in stop and go traffic. I think I may need something utilitarian for those moments.

Also agree with this sentiment which is why I bought a network streamer. That way I just cue up some coffee, sit on the couch and do nothing but listen. I use cheaper AKG 712s when gaming as it has great soundstage forthe price and they’re not half bad with music either.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #1,678 of 8,334
If going with Metrum's DACs the Amethyst or the Qutest from Chord catch my eye. Both paired with a nice tube amp :)
Onyx, Yggdrasil, Pavane or the Holo Spring KTE are way off my budget unfortunately.

Try to audition both, or their siblings or something similar. Since those DACs are on the opposite ends of the spectrum: the Chords are oversampling delta sigma DACs, while Metrum DACs are non-oversampling R2R DACs. Also be sure to audition both kinds with 44.1 KHz music, because oversampling becomes less important/noticeable at 88.2 KHz and above.

Well, both Eddie Current and especially Cavalli amps have been exposed as having quite poor build quality and you can do way better for the price typically. Examples:

https://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/11304-cavalli-audio-liquid-lightning/

https://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/12662-ec-black-widow/

I'd get a Dynalo from Mjolnir-Audio instead. Built buy a guy who knows what he's using, using a tried and true circuit known for its cutting edge transparency that few amps can match.

Agreed. Tubes just seem to work better with Zachs entire lineup. Don’t know if its the high impedance or the mid magic, depth, smoothness and microdetail that tubes that play off the Auteurs strengths. I feel like SS is better with Planars and things like the Focal Clears, etc. I want to reiterate theres nothing wrong with pairing Auteur with SS it’ll still sound great but they are nowhere near as good as when you use them with tubes. Like Zach said he gave us lots of customization so its about finding synergy rather than an amp that works with it. The Auteur sounds great out of just about anything but it needs careful matching to get the most out of it.

Well don't forget Zach's lineup also includes 50 ohms planars, his first headphones in fact. High impedance means you need to be a bit more selective with amp choice, tubes naturally fit that bill but so do really good well rounded solid state amps. What amps have you tried the Auteur with?

Jun 16, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #1,679 of 8,334
What amps have you tried the Auteur with?

Headamp GSX, Bryston BHA-1, Project Headbox, Beyerdynamic A20. The Headbox is my favorite. Its cheap, neutral, plenty of power and drives both my Planars and Dynamics well. Not much dryness out of it either.

Jun 17, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #1,680 of 8,334
Listening to Tidal via RME9632/Yaggy/ECAficionado(modded with better than stock caps) going back and forth between Ether Flows and Teak Auteurs. I could easily live happily with either set of cans. The Auteurs are a bit more 'crisp' (defined?) to my ear where the Ether Flows are just a bit fuller in their sound... a bit, in spots, sometimes. I like either set better than my brief opportunities to listen on the same rig to Utopia (sharp) and 800s (lean) and compared to something like an LCD2C either of these are in a completely different bracket.

Whichever pair of cans I'm listening to at the time I think 'Must' be the better pair, and upon switching to the other I find myself saying 'Oh, Oh yeah, cool, these are nice... these are nice".

Also, Ether Flows are my benchmark for comfort. I've never heard anybody debate that Dan nailed it there. The Auteurs may be heavier but are not bad at all for comfort (I'm using the Auteur pads vs the included Eikons with the smaller ear holes).

As a statement of how much I like both sets of cans, I've been listening to JOHN MEYER for over an hour (and digging it)... that's how good they are!!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back