ZMF Auteur Thread
Jun 14, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #1,651 of 8,334
I've had quite a journey trying to find out what suited my ears the best and I think I'm at the end game for me (will be similar to Wazzupi, just a different tube amp)

Headphones:
V Moda M100 --> ATH-M50x --> AKG K712 --> HD650 --> AKG K7xx --> TH-X00 --> AFO --> Clear --> LCD2C --> Auteur

Amps:
Schiit Magni 2U --> Bottlehead Crack --> Liquid Carbon --> MCTH --> Mjolnir 2 --> Liquid Crimson --> Liquid Glass

DACs:
Schiit Modi 2U --> Schiit Gumby --> Schiit Yggy A2 --> Metrum Onyx

95% of my time lately has been on the Onyx --> Liquid Glass --> Auteur. Heavily debating of just selling everything else off. To my ears, Auteur + Liquid Glass is heads and shoulders above everything else I've tried so far. I am very curious of the Glenn and Ampandsound amps though.

Jun 14, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #1,652 of 8,334
I've had quite a journey trying to find out what suited my ears the best and I think I'm at the end game for me (will be similar to Wazzupi, just a different tube amp)

Headphones:
V Moda M100 --> ATH-M50x --> AKG K712 --> HD650 --> AKG K7xx --> TH-X00 --> AFO --> Clear --> LCD2C --> Auteur

Amps:
Schiit Magni 2U --> Bottlehead Crack --> Liquid Carbon --> MCTH --> Mjolnir 2 --> Liquid Crimson --> Liquid Glass

DACs:
Schiit Modi 2U --> Schiit Gumby --> Schiit Yggy A2 --> Metrum Onyx

95% of my time lately has been on the Onyx --> Liquid Glass --> Auteur. Heavily debating of just selling everything else off. To my ears, Auteur + Liquid Glass is heads and shoulders above everything else I've tried so far. I am very curious of the Glenn and Ampandsound amps though.

Do you still have the Clears for comparison from the LG?

Jun 14, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #1,653 of 8,334
The Onyx is certainly a fantastic DAC. Should sound excellent with your Auteur. The Eitr is also a good call if you're using USB. I found that the USB on the Onyx didn't play very well with my PC. It's more finicky than the RME or gen5 Schiit. I wish they went with HDMI for their I2S connector, but considering it's a drop in board that replaces USB I can understand why they didn't. Wouldn't fit. Seems like it'd be easier for you to find a transport to use I2S if they had gone HDMI.

Jun 14, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #1,654 of 8,334
Do you still have the Clears for comparison from the LG?

Unfortunately I do not - sold the Clears after a month or so. Only got to try them with the Liquid Carbon and Mjolnir 2. Liquid Carbon pairing was pretty good. Pairing with the Mjolnir 2 was too agressive and fatigued me fairly quickly.

The Onyx is certainly a fantastic DAC. Should sound excellent with your Auteur. The Eitr is also a good call if you're using USB. I found that the USB on the Onyx didn't play very well with my PC. It's more finicky than the RME or gen5 Schiit. I wish they went with HDMI for their I2S connector, but considering it's a drop in board that replaces USB I can understand why they didn't. Wouldn't fit. Seems like it'd be easier for you to find a transport to use I2S if they had gone HDMI.

I agree. I had both the Onyx and the Yggy A2 at the same time and decided that I liked the Onyx better. Fortunately I do not have any issues with USB at all, though I do have a monster PC. No issues running DS or WASAPI. I also have a RPi + DigiOne streamer that I use from time to time and that connects through SPDIF. I would be hard pressed to find a difference between SPDIF and USB.

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #1,655 of 8,334

That's quite funny, I'm somewhat in the opposite position. Thinking about either replacing or (most likely) accompanying the ADI-2 with the Onyx, but I would miss out on tons of features + the excellent drivers and digital connections, maybe the ADI-2 could kinda act as a controller + adding features for the Onyx but I'm not sure if that's gonna work, quite the pickle. :thinking:

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #1,656 of 8,334
That's quite funny, I'm somewhat in the opposite position. Thinking about either replacing or (most likely) accompanying the ADI-2 with the Onyx, but I would miss out on tons of features + the excellent drivers and digital connections, maybe the ADI-2 could kinda act as a controller + adding features for the Onyx but I'm not sure if that's gonna work, quite the pickle. :thinking:
Just so you know, there are no digital outs on ADI-2 so you could not pass signal to the Onyx.

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #1,658 of 8,334
Zmf sells the pavane lvl 3 for 5k might be a worthy upgrade.

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #1,659 of 8,334
I have the Audeze LCD 2 Rev.1, not sure how they compare to the 2.2's but for me the Auteur's are a sizable upgrade. Never been able to get the veil of the Audeze's and generally its lacking a top end. Bass is great, maybe the one area it gets close to the Auteur, but otherwise its pretty easy for me to pick one over the other.

Jun 15, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #1,660 of 8,334
The Auteur continues to impress me all the time. It's such a great sounding headphone. Might have to keep both the Auteur and the ADX5000 rather than selling one like I had initially planned.

Not only does the Auteur being so great make me more excited for my Atticus, but it makes me curious about the Eikon as well. I have a problem. :triportsad:

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #1,661 of 8,334
The Auteur continues to impress me all the time. It's such a great sounding headphone. Might have to keep both the Auteur and the ADX5000 rather than selling one like I had initially planned.

Not only does the Auteur being so great make me more excited for my Atticus, but it makes me curious about the Eikon as well. I have a problem. :triportsad:

I have a problem too and as a result, I have an Auteur, Atticus, Eikon and Ori. They all have their place and sound great.

Jun 15, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #1,663 of 8,334

Indeed. The Auteur captures you. That's what I thought before I sold my Teak, like "oh man I'm gonna regret this..." but then I reminded myself that I was going for the Blackwood so no loss. Having had the Eikon in Padauk I can tell you that the Auteur is like an Eikon (linear) but with better sound overall (at least to me). More open and smoother (Eikon had slightly more upper mid/lower treble energy plus a nice sub-bass boost) a real treat for sensible ears. I'm not bashing the Eikon, I liked it but sometimes it felt a bit congested and a bit fatiguing on some tracks, not the case with Auteur. Haven't heard the Atticus but based on descriptions should provide a good contrast. :)

Jun 15, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #1,664 of 8,334
Indeed. The Auteur captures you. That's what I thought before I sold my Teak, like "oh man I'm gonna regret this..." but then I reminded myself that I was going for the Blackwood so no loss. Having had the Eikon in Padauk I can tell you that the Auteur is like an Eikon (linear) but with better sound overall (at least to me). More open and smoother (Eikon had slightly more upper mid/lower treble energy plus a nice sub-bass boost) a real treat for sensible ears. I'm not bashing the Eikon, I liked it but sometimes it felt a bit congested and a bit fatiguing on some tracks, not the case with Auteur. Haven't heard the Atticus but based on descriptions should provide a good contrast. :)
What amp/dac ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back