ZMF Auteur Thread
Jun 22, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #1,711 of 8,334
Received my Ash Auteurs today and...they look and sound incredible, well done @zach915m and thank you for your great service. Going out of town for a week starting tomorrow, gonna be spending the day with these to get as much head-time as I can! Parting will be such sweet sorrow. May share some more detailed thoughts when I return, here's a beauty shot:

DSCF4025.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #1,712 of 8,334
Received my Ash Auteurs today and...they look and sound incredible, well done @zach915m and thank you for your great service. Going out of town for a week starting tomorrow, gonna be spending the day with these to get as much head-time as I can! Parting will be such sweet sorrow. May share some more detailed thoughts when I return, here's a beauty shot:

Congrats :beerchug:

Glad the Auteur are doing it for you. Ash looks stunning, and your amp is amazing! I think it's the most beautiful Crack I've ever seen.

Looks like you spent a little time polishing the top plate, knobs, etc, before you took that shot. :ksc75smile:

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #1,713 of 8,334

Glad the Auteur are doing it for you. Ash looks stunning, and your amp is amazing! I think it's the most beautiful Crack I've ever seen.

Looks like you spent a little time polishing the top plate, knobs, etc, before you took that shot. :ksc75smile:
Im more of a rusted zebra Blackwood kinda guy but ash has it's beauty.

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #1,714 of 8,334
Im more of a rusted zebra Blackwood kinda guy but ash has it's beauty.
Yes, I love my Blackwood...but, I've also always been a big baseball fan, so Ash...:smile_phones:

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #1,715 of 8,334

Thanks! It's the Crack-a-two-a, Bottlehead's upgraded model with some modifications. I haven't seen too many of them on HF but it's a great amp. You could say a fair amount polish went into that top plate :wink: (understatement of the year)

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #1,716 of 8,334
I received my Auteur Teak OFC yesterday! Here is a picture of my setup driven with Chord Hugo₂ on a Woo stand. I found them very comfortable with a beautiful build quality. Compared to my Campfire Andromeda IEM, the most noticeable difference is the warmer tuning. IMO tone, timbre, and texture are all at a high standard.

ZMF setup 1.jpg

Jun 22, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #1,717 of 8,334

Great looking amp and those ash wood Teaks are gorgeous. :L3000:

Jun 22, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #1,718 of 8,334
Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #1,720 of 8,334
Ah, I really love the way the Ash look!

Since we're picture sharing, here are a couple of pics of the pair I just received:

The Teaks look great too, you really can't go wrong :ksc75smile:

Jun 22, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #1,721 of 8,334
My walnut Auteurs arrived today and Zach hit it out of the park. They are even more beautiful than I expected and already enjoying the overall more balanced sound, microdetail and stage as compared to my much-loved Ori's. They sound spectacular on my iFi Pro iCan, cleaner on solid state but nicely musical on tube mode, still sorting out my preference. Of course it may vary depending upon the source recording. I have a busy few weeks of work ahead but what little head time I have will be getting to know these beauties better, more impressions to follow.

Auteur Walnut 2.jpg Auteur & Ori (ZMF Bros., Cropped).jpg

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #1,722 of 8,334
Don't let my short impressions get you nervous about your purchase. I have been known to be extremely picky about what I like and how I like it. My post was not intended to push potential customers or customers waiting for their Auteur away, but rather to highlight that the Auteur is something to marvel at with its ability to match the HD800 in transparency. Fine tuning a sound signature to my preference has always been a task, it was just a lengthier task with the Auteur. As an engineer and tinkerer, for better or for worse, it's in my nature to continuously attempt to squeeze out any perceived improvements.

Oh, I am sorry for my miscommunication! I actually and very confident that I will love the Auteur, based on impressions I have read here, and it looks like my amp will have very good synergy with it. I am sure the Stratus and the Autuer is amazing, too.

I respect tinkering; after all, that's how companies like ZMF get started in the first place!

Happy Listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back