ZMF Auteur Thread
Jun 23, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #1,741 of 8,322
@petervenkman - glad for a successful sale! They look great!

@Phantaminum - They were the LCD 2's actually and yes I did. I recently got the Jotunheim to drive them and at first I wasn't sure on the pairing but after dialing them in and getting some new Colorado XLR's and leaving the Jot on overnight I am definitely happy with this combination. Everything is so much more dynamic! Sometimes I feel like the bass can get in the way at high volumes which I heard was corrected in the 2016 revision of these cans so if these ever die on me I'll probably be going with the LCD 2's again. I didn't care for the LCD 3's tbh.

I've considered going with the Auteurs again but in Ash as they simply look stunning and pairing it with a Cavalli Hybrid. I got plenty of Vokshod and 6DJ8 tubes around so having a tube amp that only requires one tube helps calm the tube rolling nervosa lol. Would make an excellent bedroom setup. The micro-detail and mids of the Auteurs are superb for relaxing to. Acoustic music sounds way better on the Auteurs as well as it's neutral profile with the right added thickness and warmth keeps acoustic guitars clean and clear with the body they need to sound real. I plan on sticking with this thread for a long time to come!

I think you'll like the MCTH with the Auteurs of you go down that road and the Ash wood is, of course, gorgeous. Especially the grain that Zach has on his site.

Hansotek also uses this combo so he could add more input on the pairing.

Jun 24, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #1,742 of 8,322
For anyone curious about the new wood splitters/plugs, I think they're amazing.
0vkbZVP.jpg

Jun 25, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #1,743 of 8,322
Anyone else running perforated suede Eikon pads on their Auteurs?

Kinda "forgot" to roll these ones, and I am really liking them a lot at like the third day of listening with them.

Jun 25, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #1,744 of 8,322
Anyone else running perforated suede Eikon pads on their Auteurs?

Kinda "forgot" to roll these ones, and I am really liking them a lot at like the third day of listening with them.

I have them currently on my Auteurs. I like the warmer presentation with my current setup compared with the Auteur but did find the sound stage collapsed. It suits me because of my adverse reaction to any treble, lol.

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #1,745 of 8,322
I have them currently on my Auteurs. I like the warmer presentation with my current setup compared with the Auteur but did find the sound stage collapsed. It suits me because of my adverse reaction to any treble, lol.

Interesting, i think there is a bump in the bass, but i think treble sounds very similar.
I thought the stage collapsed by quite a margin on the regular perforated Eikons, but on these i think the image at times seem even clearer. Might be a sligt sacrifice in stage size, but seems very precise and "holographic" (for the lack of a better term).

Gonna roll around some more back and forth and see if these stick with the impressions thus far.
They sound a bit more linear to me, need to noob-measure them to see what's going on later this week.
Really wanna get my hands on some of the new pads as well.

Jun 28, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #1,746 of 8,322
507E3CC6-6AC9-4BFC-99AC-17542C936ED6.jpeg
15D5B4A5-178C-44A4-B341-FCED34FAFD11.jpeg
My coco Ltd auteurs arrived yesterday. Special thanks to Zach as he recommended this look & I couldn’t be happier. As far as sound goes these are very well balanced and seem to do everything right.

Jun 28, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #1,747 of 8,322
One surprise for me is how easy the Auteur apparently is to drive.On my iFi Pro iCan with lowest gain setting and volume knob 10 or 11 O'clock it matches loudness of my ZMF Ori's on mid-gain, same volume position. I know the Ori's are planar and love juice, but with a 300 Ohm impedance and sensitivity of ~ 98 I expected the Auteur to be a bit more power hungry.

I've read some discussion that using mid-gain or high-gain and a lower volume adds weight / low end fullness to an amp's output, but others argue that its nonsense, iFi itself recommends using lowest gain that allows for volume knob position to be around 12 O'clock. So I think I'll just continue to enjoy getting to know Auteur using low gain.

Thoughts / input especially from others using Pro iCan and Auteur welcomed.

Jun 28, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #1,748 of 8,322
One surprise for me is how easy the Auteur apparently is to drive.On my iFi Pro iCan with lowest gain setting and volume knob 10 or 11 O'clock it matches loudness of my ZMF Ori's on mid-gain, same volume position. I know the Ori's are planar and love juice, but with a 300 Ohm impedance and sensitivity of ~ 98 I expected the Auteur to be a bit more power hungry.

I've read some discussion that using mid-gain or high-gain and a lower volume adds weight / low end fullness to an amp's output, but others argue that its nonsense, iFi itself recommends using lowest gain that allows for volume knob position to be around 12 O'clock. So I think I'll just continue to enjoy getting to know Auteur using low gain.

Thoughts / input especially from others using Pro iCan and Auteur welcomed.
It should be nonsense unless the gain settings do something like affect the output impedance which they shouldn't on the Pro iCan.

Jun 28, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #1,749 of 8,322
...iFi itself recommends using lowest gain that allows for volume knob position to be around 12 O'clock...
That recommendation is probably based on protecting your hearing and your cans. If you set the gain higher, it increases the probability that an errant bump of the volume knob, or a very loud track could damage either.
It should be nonsense unless the gain settings do something like affect the output impedance which they shouldn't on the Pro iCan.
Probably true -- changing OI is the most likely reason that changing gain would affect the sound signature unless gain is so low that the amp can't fully power the cans.

Jun 28, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #1,751 of 8,322
Trying to get my pads straight here. Is it just me or do I have one outlier? The 2nd one down is the same shape as the one above it, but the holes seem to be different.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Looks like one of those Eikon pads might be slightly misformed. The Auteur pads look good though.

Jun 28, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #1,753 of 8,322
So, the Auteur pads are the bottom two? (In the picture of all 4)

Yes. The have a slightly bigger ear opening compared to the Eikon pads.

Jun 28, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #1,754 of 8,322
Looks like one of those Eikon pads might be slightly misformed. The Auteur pads look good though.
Yes. The have a slightly bigger ear opening compared to the Eikon pads.

Ah okay, Well, I'm using those for now..but noticed the inconsistencies with the other two when attempting to audition the other pads. The tiny holes that allow air to pass through the pads look pretty different. You can see more of a tan outline on the two Auteur pads and one of the Eikon. But the one Eikon pad the tiny holes seem even smaller than all of the others and I don't see as much of the lighter tan color.

Does that make sense?

Jun 28, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #1,755 of 8,322
Here’s an idea - since you have both, why not just try it yourself and let us know your findings? I read the same thing from ifi, while on the other hand Kingwa at Audio-Gd recommends you run his amps in high gain. I’ve always found high gain on the R2R-11 to have more weight and punch when volume matched with low gain. Not sure why, but it just does. I now leave it on high gain, even though the volume pot rarely turns past 9 o’clock as a result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back