ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 1, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #3,751 of 8,335
He's kind of asking for a unicorn of a headphone. Lots of contradictory requirements there. It has to be open, but can't leak sound. Has to be flat through mid and treble, yet all headphones have dips and peaks here. Doesn't want to EQ.

I didn't say it "has" to be open. I've used a K240 a long time ago that did not leak a ton of sound, so it is possible.

I don't need boosted bass, just within 3db down to 30Hz or so without falling off a cliff below that.

Regarding my "dips and spikes" comments, I was trying to explain that is the most sensitive area of my hearing. I don't require flat response, but a spike in the 6K range will kill my ears. Likewise, a dip in the range of female vocals will annoy me.

Edit: I found this comment on headphones.com review of the Verite Closed, "There’s a slight increase in presence with higher-frequency musical components, which can make triangles, higher harp and piano notes, as well as most brass components take on a hair more forwardness than is naturally in a mix or recording, but this isn’t overdone and does not become intrusive." I'm pretty sure that area would bug me. Make sense?

My only concern with the Aeolus is that I have read the lively bass smears the midrange.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #3,752 of 8,335
I think ‘need’ is a bit extreme. I would say that Auteur ‘...could really reward a good tube amp...’ if you prefer a tube sound. My Auteur have played very well with every amp I’ve tried, changing character in interesting ways with different amps and tubes.To my ears Auteur also really reward my (SS) DSHA-3F.

If my Utopia are a microscope revealing all the features and blemishes of my chain, Auteur is more of a kaleidoscope.
I wholly agree that the Auteur can compliment almost anything you hook it to. I've used it with a simple (read "cheap") Maverick D1, and it performs very well.

Mar 1, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #3,753 of 8,335
I didn't say it "has" to be open. I've used a K240 a long time ago that did not leak a ton of sound, so it is possible.

I don't need boosted bass, just within 3db down to 30Hz or so without falling off a cliff below that.

Regarding my "dips and spikes" comments, I was trying to explain that is the most sensitive area of my hearing. I don't require flat response, but a spike in the 6K range will kill my ears. Likewise, a dip in the range of female vocals will annoy me.

Edit: I found this comment on headphones.com review of the Verite Closed, "There’s a slight increase in presence with higher-frequency musical components, which can make triangles, higher harp and piano notes, as well as most brass components take on a hair more forwardness than is naturally in a mix or recording, but this isn’t overdone and does not become intrusive." I'm pretty sure that area would bug me. Make sense?

My only concern with the Aeolus is that I have read the lively bass smears the midrange.
The bass is affected by the pad choice, that's why I recommend the perforated Universe suede. Perforated is recommended for all the open headphones Zach sells. (@ProfFalkin I haven't heard the Eikon suedes... I'll have to rectify that.) The most linear/dry pads I found to be the Verite pads, but I haven't heard any midrange bleed with either style. I hope that helps!

Mar 3, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #3,754 of 8,335
Here is the only video review that I have seen of a Glenn OTL, I believe the reviewer is a member here:

In discussing what might best suit my uses and preferences (not a "tube roller", wanting an amp that would be optimal for my Auteur), Glenn suggested a basic OTL with a couple upgrades - particularly the Lundahl transformer. IMOP one of the great things about a Glenn is the ability to have him tailor your amp to you. For example I have XLR wiring for my current setup and headphone cables, so I want XLR inputs / outputs.

What's the lundahl transformer for? Balanced to single end conversion or power transformer?

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #3,755 of 8,335
Same here! And i wonder how many people here, with a gun to their head, would admit the same thing.

This actually happened to me. I was able to guess the calibre of the gun (S&W 10mm) without seeing it.

Didn't do so well distinguishing 320 kB MP3s vs .wav files...I was distracted by the handgun, frankly.

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #3,756 of 8,335
I think the part where he said he likes bass, but doesn't like mid/treble dips and spikes kind of ruled out Auteur and Verite. Verite Open has the bass, but also has a few dips and peaks - while many don't take offense to these, and some might say they are what make the headphone great, he might be bothered by them. Auteur has the smoother FR for mids and treble but maybe not the bass he wants? All of them leak sound, except for the Verite Closed which might be the best compromise. Unfortunately they isolate better than many expect, so I doubt he would be able to hear coworkers.

He's kind of asking for a unicorn of a headphone. Lots of contradictory requirements there. It has to be open, but can't leak sound. Has to be flat through mid and treble, yet all headphones have dips and peaks here. Doesn't want to EQ.

Your only option is to get a job where you can work from home, or get promoted to a corner office so you won't bother coworkers.

Failing that, I will agree with Jinxy. The safest pick is Aeolus. I prefer Eikon suede pads, but the uni suede are good too. They leak sound, but more closely match what was described as his sonic preferences.

I saw a unicorn in the back yard the other day. He was wearing an Aeolus & listening to a mobile setup of some kind.

(for what it's worth)

Mar 7, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #3,757 of 8,335
What's the lundahl transformer for? Balanced to single end conversion or power transformer?
Sorry for the late response. Rather than me (who is a tube neophyte) trying to explain how the transformer is used, let me refer you to a great link provided by Zachik in the Glenn thread:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IHcgqSa16WqaAjwUYoE3eZlSfmaSluQFVYqY1pry-NI/edit#gid=0

Though it primarily is great information on tube compatibility for the GOTL in spreadsheet form, there is also a sheet tab at the bottom titled "random interesting info". Among other things you will see some detailed information on the use of the Lundahl in a Glenn.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #3,759 of 8,335
Oooo, my new Hart Cables for the Auteur are shipping. James (Hart Cables owner) emailed me a pic today after he finished it. Of course they will not be plugged into those Audeze cans when I get them.
Hart.png

This is a custom sleeve color I chose called Rust Diamonds (which I think will look great with the ZMF Cocobolo), for both the headphone cable and the Multi-Kit 1. If you are not familiar with Hart, you buy a cable with the correct headphone connector for your headphones. You then choose the "interconnect" for whatever amp / DAP / Phone / etc. that you intend to plug your headphones in to. In my case I wanted the Multikit-1 which is the whole kitchen sink. It includes:
  • IC-1 3": 1/4" TRS
  • IC-2 3": 3.5mm TRS
  • IC-3 3": 4-pin XLR
  • IC-4 3": 2.5mm TRRS
  • IC-5 3": 3.5mm TRRS
  • IC-6 3": 4.4mm TRRRS
I'll probably be ordering a headphone cable for my HD6XX. The cool part of that is that I already will have all the interconnects, so just will need the one cable.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #3,760 of 8,335
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 3, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #3,761 of 8,335
Apr 3, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #3,762 of 8,335
Apr 3, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #3,763 of 8,335
Apr 6, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #3,764 of 8,335
Oh, forgot to post a pic of the Hart cable actually plugged in to the Auteur...
Auteur with Hart.jpg

Unfortunately, my picture taking skills are poor, but here it is :)

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #3,765 of 8,335
Oh, forgot to post a pic of the Hart cable actually plugged in to the Auteur...

Unfortunately, my picture taking skills are poor, but here it is :)
How do you like the interconnect/hotswap near the end? I'm going to build my own and was thinking of doing it at the Y instead of the end.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back