ZMF Auteur Thread
Apr 12, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #3,783 of 8,380
Oh, forgot to post a pic of the Hart cable actually plugged in to the Auteur...
Auteur with Hart.jpg
Unfortunately, my picture taking skills are poor, but here it is :)
These look great. I just ordered two sets and the interconnect kit.

Apr 12, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #3,784 of 8,380
Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #3,786 of 8,380
Great headphones.
I’d like a little more clamping but I am pleased to have them. Very high quality...you had better have a good source for phone this good.

You can adjust the headband for better clamping. Zach has put a video on youtube on how to adjust it.

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #3,787 of 8,380
They’re very nice, paired it against my original LCD2...need some more time but I am leaning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 13, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #3,788 of 8,380
nice grain on the ZMFs!

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #3,790 of 8,380
coming from an hd 650 and lcd2 classics, both of which i love, and that i never owned a closed back, should i get the eikon, or auteur iyo if i want and upgrade to the lcd2c classics?

what would the eikon or auteur offer me that i dont have already? and would you consider either one as an upgrade from the lcd2 classics?

would the closed back eikon be better due to closed back bass for edm type music like above and beyond like i have seen many say?

i use my headphones as my primary and only audio source, so for all sorts of music but mostly edm like the group above and beyond, and all other media like movies and anime, and a ton of video games, as video games is my main hobby

Apr 14, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #3,792 of 8,380
Hear ye, hear ye !!

My auteurs are on the way. Estimated shipping is Thursday the 16th. I am excited. So excited that I ll start heating up my tube amps the night before to make sure the tubes are nice and warm when I connect my Auteurs (jk). Can anyone plz recommend a good aftermaket cable for these bad boys? Price no more than $250. I was looking at some Forza Claire Hybrids. However, I am absolutely open to anything and everything else, hopefully with X8 or X16 cores. Copper or silver or Copper Silver mix.
Thank you for taking the time to help a brother out.

Cheers

Apr 14, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #3,793 of 8,380
Hear ye, hear ye !!

My auteurs are on the way. Estimated shipping is Thursday the 16th. I am excited. So excited that I ll start heating up my tube amps the night before to make sure the tubes are nice and warm when I connect my Auteurs (jk). Can anyone plz recommend a good aftermaket cable for these bad boys? Price no more than $250. I was looking at some Forza Claire Hybrids. However, I am absolutely open to anything and everything else, hopefully with X8 or X16 cores. Copper or silver or Copper Silver mix.

Cheers
Nice man! Mine shipped today too! In terms of cables some of ZMFs custom cables might be what you're looking for, they make silver and copper ones. I believe Periapt also makes nice cables for the mini xlr connector, which the auteur use. The periapt cables are around $90-$120 last time I checked

Apr 14, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #3,794 of 8,380
Sky audio out of the UK. Good product reasonable prices. Also I just ordered a few from Hart here in the states. Also very reasonably priced.

Apr 14, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #3,795 of 8,380
Hear ye, hear ye !!

Cheers
My experience is that, with Auteur, cable swaps matter but don't matter :)

By that I mean that cable swaps will shape the sound (more than any other can I've owned) but Auteur always sound great. It's almost like you get different headphones when you change cables. Well, that's an exaggeration, but I will say that cable swaps make a pretty big difference. Amusingly, so do tube swaps in my Liquid Platinum, changing amps, and changing DACs. Of course pad swaps change things up as well.

If I were you (which of course I'm not) I'd get them in, listen for a while, and then decide how you'd like to move the sound. Going to a good all-copper cable will have a markedly different effect than going to an all-silver. When I still had my Lazuli Reference cable (terminated for Utopia, but w/ adapters for Auteur) and compared them that way vs via Silver Dragon, I was amazed how much difference I heard.

And you should give them some good burn-in before you make that decision.

Don't know what wood you're getting, but obviously not Blackwood like mine, so it's hard to say how closely your experience will match mine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back