ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 1, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #3,736 of 8,334
That's interesting...what tubes would you recommend for the Elise?
Right now I am using a Quad of new production Genalex Gold Lion KT88. They are under $100 a pair, readily available and excel in Elise, although you do need socket adapters. As I type this I am listening to Beethoven's "Ghost" trio. Elise / KT88 quad driving Auteur --> distinct instrument placement with just the right amount of air, natural / believable stage, balanced across frequencies, beautiful tonality and euphonic signature without sacrificing detail. PM me if you want more info. or see the Elise / Euforia threads.
Annotation 2020-02-29 215838.jpg

Mar 1, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #3,737 of 8,334
Thanks. Pendant seems interesting as well but I haven't seen much reviews/posts about it. I should have paid attention to it more on the canjam show instead of looking at all those good looking woods at the ZMF show room lol
Here is a new video review of the Pendant:

And here is an interview with Zach of ZMF in which he does talk about the Pendant a bit.

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #3,738 of 8,334
other/which one do you think would be a better fit to Auteur?

1. Dragon IHA-1;
2. Woo Audio WA6SE/WA2;
3. Feliks Elise(
I've owned the iha-1 and Elise. With the Auteur, they sound mushy and not very detailed. I rolled a metric crap ton of tubes through them trying to get the detail a $99 Magni could easily provide.

You're better off with a Bottlehead Crack and Speedball compared to those 2.

The WA2 I've heard, and find it to be the better amp, and frankly, the build quality and looks make it a no brainer compared to the other two.

If the $1200 tube amp segment is what your budget will allow, I honestly would suggest you keep saving and shoot for a Pendant, DNA Starlett, or ECP T4. Those all outperform the amps previously listed with just their stock tubes. They hold their value as well. Or, if you get super lucky, you might find a used DNA Stratus or Eddie Current ZDS for sale, and if you do, buy it and don't look back.

In for a penny, in for a pound... And you might as well do it right the first time.

Edit: I have a feeling the Elise crowd is going to come charging in to save their beloved amp from my blasphemous rantings. Don't bother, it won't change my opinion.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #3,739 of 8,334
Mar 1, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #3,740 of 8,334
I've owned the iha-1 and Elise. With the Auteur, they sound mushy and not very detailed. I rolled a metric crap ton of tubes through them trying to get the detail a $99 Magni could easily provide.

The WA2 I've heard, and find it to be the better amp, and frankly, the build quality and looks make it a no brainer compared to the other two.

If the $1200 tube amp segment is what your budget will allow, I honestly would suggest you keep saving and shoot for a Pendant, DNA Starlett, or ECP T4. Those all outperform the amps previously listed with just their stock tubes. They hold their value as well. Or, if you get super lucky, you might find a used DNA Stratus or Eddie Current ZDS for sale, and if you do, buy it and don't look back.

In for a penny, in for a pound... And you might as well do it right the first time.

Edit: I have a feeling the Elise crowd is going to come charging in to save their beloved amp from my blasphemous rantings. Don't bother, it won't change my opinion.
$2000 isn’t too off my budget honestly, especially if I don’t have to swap tubes. Both starlett and pendant look pretty sexy. Just hope there are more reviews/discussion out there for these.

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #3,741 of 8,334

Ah Professor, to each his own. The goal is not to change your opinion...you've owned Elise and it wasn't for you. @LevPush is the one seeking opinions and you've provided an absolutely valid one based on your experience...I agree with you it's not the last word in detail retrieval. Based on the other areas it does so well, I love mine anyway. That's why Baskin-Robbins makes 31 flavors.

Just for interest, if one can accept the long wait, is a basic-configured Glenn OTL worth considering? I have no experience with it but read great things. If (? when) I fall out of love with Elise that may be my next heart's (ears) desire. Perhaps @ProfFalkin or others can chime in.

Thanks for a good discussion, I appreciate headfi for it's ability to express differing views constructively. The world could take a lesson! :)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #3,742 of 8,334
... From what I have seen so far in this forum and others, it seems like Autuer could really need a good tube amp...
I think ‘need’ is a bit extreme. I would say that Auteur ‘...could really reward a good tube amp...’ if you prefer a tube sound. My Auteur have played very well with every amp I’ve tried, changing character in interesting ways with different amps and tubes.To my ears Auteur also really reward my (SS) DSHA-3F.

If my Utopia are a microscope revealing all the features and blemishes of my chain, Auteur is more of a kaleidoscope.

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #3,743 of 8,334
Ah Professor, to each his own. The goal is not to change your opinion...you've owned Elise and it wasn't for you. @LevPush is the one seeking opinions and you've provided an absolutely valid one based on your experience...I agree with you it's not the last word in detail retrieval. Based on the other areas it does so well, I love mine anyway. That's why Baskin-Robbins makes 31 flavors.

Just for interest, if one can accept the long wait, is a basic-configured Glenn OTL worth considering? I have no experience with it but read great things. If (? when) I fall out of love with Elise that may be my next heart's (ears) desire. Perhaps @ProfFalkin or others can chime in.

Thanks for a good discussion, I appreciate headfi for it's ability to express differing views constructively. The world could take a lesson! :)
Here is the only video review that I have seen of a Glenn OTL, I believe the reviewer is a member here:

In discussing what might best suit my uses and preferences (not a "tube roller", wanting an amp that would be optimal for my Auteur), Glenn suggested a basic OTL with a couple upgrades - particularly the Lundahl transformer. IMOP one of the great things about a Glenn is the ability to have him tailor your amp to you. For example I have XLR wiring for my current setup and headphone cables, so I want XLR inputs / outputs.

Mar 1, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #3,744 of 8,334
is a basic-configured Glenn OTL worth considering?
I've only heard Zach's GOTL, but it was very good. I leaned toward liking the Pendant more, but considering the crazy amount of customization and tubes you can put in the GOTL, I'm inclined to believe it's a very good value at the base price + a few select mods + whatever glass Zach was running in it. If you can get over the "must fill every tube slot" OCD, it might be friendly on the wallet for tube rolling. Maybe. But probably not.

.To my ears Auteur also really reward my (SS) DSHA-3F.

This is without a doubt my favorite pairing for Auteur. Love my 3F. I've gone back and forth between the amorphous and nickel core transformers (why roll glass when you can roll IRON!) and I actually prefer the amorphous more.

Mar 1, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #3,745 of 8,334
I am hoping that fellow Fi-mites can give me some guidance. I'm considering the Auteur, the Verite, and the Aeolus. I've sent an email to Zach, but would like other opinions while I wait to hear from him.

Please share insights if you have heard at least two of the Auteur, Verite, and Aeolus. Thanks in advance.

USE: Primary use would be at work, so I'm looking at open mainly so that I can hear when a co-worker asks a question. That said, I don't want a lot of leakage so my co-workers are not disturbed by my music. I have been using Future Sonics MG5 CIEMs. They don't leak, but I can't hear when someone tries to get my attention.

EQUIPMENT: I am using a Woo WA8 as a DAC/amp plugged in to my laptop to stream Spotify.

MUSIC: I listen to a wide variety running from Americana, country, rock, jazz. Artists off the top of my head... The Lone Bellow, Rival Sons, Wilco, Petty & the Heartbreakers, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, Steely Dan, Radiohead, REM, Ella Fitzgerald, Queen, Hendrix, Kathleen Edwards, Angus & Julia Stone.

SONICS: I will describe two concerts rather than use audiophile descriptors. A few years back, I saw Damien Rice at the Fox in Oakland and The Frames at the Fillmore in SF. Damien opened with Cannonball, no microphone, no amplification, just his acoustic guitar and his voice. Glen did the same thing with a mandolin on a cover of REMs Hairshirt. Both experiences gave goosebumps. Nobody was concerned with frequency response, soundstage, macro or micro dynamics. The music just drew everyone in. That's what I look for in audio. I highly doubt that I could place individual instruments with exact specificity in a classical orchestra, but I should be able to get the idea of left-right-front-back.

As to detail, using digital film/photos as an analogy, sometimes the extreme detail is impressive, but looks unnatural. There is a point where the eye is overwhelmed by the detail and it becomes distracting. I much prefer physical film over digital. Not surprising as I also prefer vinyl to CD/digital. I want details to be there if I pay attention and listen for them, but not to call attention to themselves. I should be able to hear the triangle in a well recorded classical orchestra without ANNOUNCING ITSELF.

Side note, I don't listen to much classical, but it provides good examples for what I look for in placement and detail retrieval.

However, I will notice if there are anomalies. I want to be able to listen to So What and hear the full frequency range of the opening bass with authority without EQ, but not have the bass smear or cloud the midrange. I am especially sensitive to treble dips and spikes. A good song example is Springsteen's Hungry Heart. There is a piano note or percussion instrument at the beginning of each measure of the chorus that can be painful to my ears if the upper mids/treble are not just right.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #3,746 of 8,334
This is without a doubt my favorite pairing for Auteur. Love my 3F. I've gone back and forth between the amorphous and nickel core transformers (why roll glass when you can roll IRON!) and I actually prefer the amorphous more.
Is the 3F still being produced or is T2 the only current ECP model? Thanks, @ProfFalkin.

Mar 1, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #3,747 of 8,334
Is the 3F still being produced or is T2 the only current ECP model? Thanks, @ProfFalkin.
You would have to ask Doug if he has or will be making more 3Fs. contact@ecpaudio.com

The Torpedo 2 and 3 are not current, that I'm aware of.

The T4 is readily available for order from Tom at his site: http://www.beezar.com/pho-bzr/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=193 I know the site says "preorder", but I think that's more about him making them in batches. It is a currently released item, and there are several reviews out in the nether on both the 3F and T4, and how the two compare.

The T4 may very well be my next big purchase as it seems it would compliment the 3F quite well, although I'm still considering the Pendant w/ Zach's NOS tube selection. Of course, if I ever get the chance to buy my ZDS back, I'll go that way without a seconds hesitation.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #3,748 of 8,334
I am hoping that fellow Fi-mites can give me some guidance. I'm considering the Auteur, the Verite, and the Aeolus. I've sent an email to Zach, but would like other opinions while I wait to hear from him.

Please share insights if you have heard at least two of the Auteur, Verite, and Aeolus. Thanks in advance.

USE: Primary use would be at work, so I'm looking at open mainly so that I can hear when a co-worker asks a question. That said, I don't want a lot of leakage so my co-workers are not disturbed by my music. I have been using Future Sonics MG5 CIEMs. They don't leak, but I can't hear when someone tries to get my attention.

EQUIPMENT: I am using a Woo WA8 as a DAC/amp plugged in to my laptop to stream Spotify.

MUSIC: I listen to a wide variety running from Americana, country, rock, jazz. Artists off the top of my head... The Lone Bellow, Rival Sons, Wilco, Petty & the Heartbreakers, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, Steely Dan, Radiohead, REM, Ella Fitzgerald, Queen, Hendrix, Kathleen Edwards, Angus & Julia Stone.

SONICS: I will describe two concerts rather than use audiophile descriptors. A few years back, I saw Damien Rice at the Fox in Oakland and The Frames at the Fillmore in SF. Damien opened with Cannonball, no microphone, no amplification, just his acoustic guitar and his voice. Glen did the same thing with a mandolin on a cover of REMs Hairshirt. Both experiences gave goosebumps. Nobody was concerned with frequency response, soundstage, macro or micro dynamics. The music just drew everyone in. That's what I look for in audio. I highly doubt that I could place individual instruments with exact specificity in a classical orchestra, but I should be able to get the idea of left-right-front-back.

As to detail, using digital film/photos as an analogy, sometimes the extreme detail is impressive, but looks unnatural. There is a point where the eye is overwhelmed by the detail and it becomes distracting. I much prefer physical film over digital. Not surprising as I also prefer vinyl to CD/digital. I want details to be there if I pay attention and listen for them, but not to call attention to themselves. I should be able to hear the triangle in a well recorded classical orchestra without ANNOUNCING ITSELF.

Side note, I don't listen to much classical, but it provides good examples for what I look for in placement and detail retrieval.

However, I will notice if there are anomalies. I want to be able to listen to So What and hear the full frequency range of the opening bass with authority without EQ, but not have the bass smear or cloud the midrange. I am especially sensitive to treble dips and spikes. A good song example is Springsteen's Hungry Heart. There is a piano note or percussion instrument at the beginning of each measure of the chorus that can be painful to my ears if the upper mids/treble are not just right.
Appkly lots & lots of YMMV here...I imagine there will be many contrary opinions (which is fine) but to me & my ears, when you say " I want details to be there if I pay attention and listen for them, but not to call attention to themselves." and you're looking for more of an "analog" sound, that sounds like the Aeolus to me. You might want the perforated Universe suede pads as the stock Aeolus pads bump up the bass a bit, and you chain of course will matter, but the Aeolus is probably one of the best all arounders that I've heard. Sound leakage isn't as bad as some open backs, but it is there.

Mar 1, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #3,749 of 8,334
Appkly lots & lots of YMMV here...I imagine there will be many contrary opinions (which is fine) but to me & my ears, when you say " I want details to be there if I pay attention and listen for them, but not to call attention to themselves." and you're looking for more of an "analog" sound, that sounds like the Aeolus to me. You might want the perforated Universe suede pads as the stock Aeolus pads bump up the bass a bit, and you chain of course will matter, but the Aeolus is probably one of the best all arounders that I've heard. Sound leakage isn't as bad as some open backs, but it is there.
I think the part where he said he likes bass, but doesn't like mid/treble dips and spikes kind of ruled out Auteur and Verite. Verite Open has the bass, but also has a few dips and peaks - while many don't take offense to these, and some might say they are what make the headphone great, he might be bothered by them. Auteur has the smoother FR for mids and treble but maybe not the bass he wants? All of them leak sound, except for the Verite Closed which might be the best compromise. Unfortunately they isolate better than many expect, so I doubt he would be able to hear coworkers.

He's kind of asking for a unicorn of a headphone. Lots of contradictory requirements there. It has to be open, but can't leak sound. Has to be flat through mid and treble, yet all headphones have dips and peaks here. Doesn't want to EQ.

Your only option is to get a job where you can work from home, or get promoted to a corner office so you won't bother coworkers.

Failing that, I will agree with Jinxy. The safest pick is Aeolus. I prefer Eikon suede pads, but the uni suede are good too. They leak sound, but more closely match what was described as his sonic preferences.

Mar 1, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #3,750 of 8,334
Yeah one of the biggest concern to get a $1,000+ tube amp is how much of a marginal satisfaction I might get compared to my current 789...considering my gf has already rolled her eyes when she saw me placing the order for Auteur:slight_frown:
I ended up selling my WA7, Loxjie P20, and THX 789 for the iFI Pro iCAN since it basically is a tube, hybrid tube, and SS amp in one and better sounding than all. That could be an option and I think there's one listed on here now. You don't have to go to $1000 to get a great tube amp. The Glenn OTL starts around $800 I think. 6 months wait though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back