ZMF Auteur Thread
Feb 23, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #3,721 of 8,306
do u think the auteur is more similar to the aeolus or verite?

i for one am looking to upgrade to either auteur or verite but don't want something too similar to the aeolus or HD650
I haven't heard the Verite, so I can't answer that question. I will say that the Auteur sounds like a "better" Aeolus to me: deeper bass extension, wider soundstage, and more neutral frequency response.

Feb 23, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #3,722 of 8,306
my auteurs i have found are like an exceptional hd600/650

Feb 23, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #3,723 of 8,306
I think the Verite is closer to the Auteur than the Aeolus is.

Feb 23, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #3,725 of 8,306
do u think the auteur is more similar to the aeolus or verite?

i for one am looking to upgrade to either auteur or verite but don't want something too similar to the aeolus or HD650
I think the Auteur is more similar to the Verite, but I think the Verite is more similar to the Aeolus than the Auteur. It's a bit like a better, more detailed Aeolus with slightly less forward mids. Whatever you decide, I highly recommend adding at least the suede perforated Universe pads, and if getting the Auteur, also the Eikon suede perf.

Feb 29, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #3,726 of 8,306
I've had Auteur for about 18 months, exclusively used the Auteur perforated lambskin pads which became rather worn. After discussion with Zach about options I opted to just replace these rather than go for a different variety. Zach noted the newer Auteur perf. lambskin versions were slightly firmer and also sent along the newer screw-in tuning material. Received and installed these this week. No drastic changes, but subtle improvements are definitely evident. Bass is a bit more in quantity but nowhere near as prominent as with the Eikon pads which I found excessive. Highs are slightly smoother and mids remain a euphonic pleasure. No noticeable change in detail retrieval and soundstage. Overall tonality and character is unchanged, and comfort remains excellent. I'm very happy with these.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #3,727 of 8,306
Hey guys, just got my cocobolo autuers today!!!! Pretty pumped.

Feb 29, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #3,728 of 8,306
Hey guys, I ordered my Auteur two weeks ago and still waiting for it to arrive. From what I have seen so far in this forum and others, it seems like Autuer could really need a good tube amp. After some research I have a few candidates that fit my price range($600-$1600). Could someone let me know how they compare to each other/which one do you think would be a better fit to Auteur?

1. Dragon IHA-1;
2. Woo Audio WA6SE/WA2;
3. Feliks Elise(Although it seems to be pretty hard to get one in US);

Some backgrounds:
1. I listen to quite a lot of classical music(piano, symphony etc);
2. Ideally with minimal tube rolling required(I saw quite a lot of tube amps need to swap tubes to get even acceptable sounds from it)

My current setup is:
SMSL SU8 -> THX AAA 789

BTW has anyone heard Auteur from 789? Are they a good pairing?

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #3,729 of 8,306
I enjoyed them with the 789 when I had it. They're both pretty revealing.

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #3,730 of 8,306
Hey guys, I ordered my Auteur two weeks ago and still waiting for it to arrive. From what I have seen so far in this forum and others, it seems like Autuer could really need a good tube amp. After some research I have a few candidates that fit my price range($600-$1600). Could someone let me know how they compare to each other/which one do you think would be a better fit to Auteur?

1. Dragon IHA-1;
2. Woo Audio WA6SE/WA2;

Some backgrounds:
2. Ideally with minimal tube rolling required(I saw quite a lot of tube amps need to swap tubes to get even acceptable sounds from it)

My current setup is:
SMSL SU8 -> THX AAA 789

Upscale Audio has Feliks-Audio Elise. I'm LOVING mine w/Auteur, and I primarily listen to classical piano and chamber music. Tube rolling is optional, but does enable one to fine tune, doesn't have to cost a fortune. There are helpful forums on head fi for Elise and Euforia users share their tube preferences, but needn't go down the rabbit hole.

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #3,731 of 8,306
Upscale Audio has Feliks-Audio Elise. I'm LOVING mine w/Auteur, and I primarily listen to classical piano and chamber music. Tube rolling is optional, but does enable one to fine tune, doesn't have to cost a fortune. There are helpful forums on head fi for Elise and Euforia users share their tube preferences, but needn't go down the rabbit hole.
That's interesting...what tubes would you recommend for the Elise?

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #3,732 of 8,306

1. Dragon IHA-1;
2. Woo Audio WA6SE/WA2;

Some backgrounds:

My current setup is:
SMSL SU8 -> THX AAA 789

wa2 is great with high impedance headphones (eg auteur and hd800) but does not work well with all low impedance hps. That’s the key thing when looking at this amp. Works with some of the low impedance hps (eg he1000se) but not with other (eg empyreans)

wa2 have very good detail and very silky and smooth. Great balance between detail and tubey goodness. Best to upgrade tubes too.

the wa6se is more versatile and more towards a solid state sound. That might balance against the auteur well when it comes to classical music.

i personally enjoy the auteur with the wa2 when listening to acoustic sounds

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #3,734 of 8,306

1. Dragon IHA-1;
2. Woo Audio WA6SE/WA2;

Some backgrounds:

My current setup is:
SMSL SU8 -> THX AAA 789

I have a very similar rig ATM, SU8 and a Monolith 887. It's an excellent pairing, though also like you, I decided to go with a quality tube option as well. As an interim I picked up a Loxjie P20, while I am on the waiting list for a Glenn OTL.

If I was not going for a Glenn, my next preference would probably be the ZMF Pendant. You are going to love the Auteur.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #3,735 of 8,306
I have a very similar rig ATM, SU8 and a Monolith 887. It's an excellent pairing, though also like you, I decided to go with a quality tube option as well. As an interim I picked up a Loxjie P20, while I am on the waiting list for a Glenn OTL.

If I was not going for a Glenn, my next preference would probably be the ZMF Pendant. You are going to love the Auteur.
Thanks. Pendant seems interesting as well but I haven't seen much reviews/posts about it. I should have paid attention to it more on the canjam show instead of looking at all those good looking woods at the ZMF show room lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back