ZMF Auteur Thread
Apr 7, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #2,971 of 8,365
I noted that at outset too, but diminishes / disappears w/50-100 hours burn-in.
Interesting, I wonder if it’s not source related, or track related. My Wenge Auteur is many things but sibilant isn’t one of them. I’d therefore never expect to hear sibilance on a Blackwood or Coco, which is an even harder wood. I use the Auteur pads, a custom Canare cable and a NOS R2R dac/amp.

Apr 7, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #2,972 of 8,365
Interesting, I wonder if it’s not source related, or track related. My Wenge Auteur is many things but sibilant isn’t one of them. I’d therefore never expect to hear sibilance on a Blackwood or Coco, which is an even harder wood. I use the Auteur pads, a custom Canare cable and a NOS R2R dac/amp.

Not even the least sibilant on my Blackwood model and I have a R-2R dac/amp too.

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #2,974 of 8,365
that, is a really nice shade..

is that a BH Crack btw?

In fact it is! It's the Crackatwoa, BH's upgraded Crack with a shunt regulated power supply and larger transformer. I added their stepped attenuator and some Mundorf output caps. It doesn't get a lot of press on HF, but with some killer tubes it's a fantastic amp, well-paired with ZMF's.

Apr 8, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #2,977 of 8,365
just some initial pix of my blackwoods

ILD7W95.jpg

Qk7GCWE.jpg

GJg4BrL.jpg

SJfSW6R.jpg

The placement (my desk is a disaster) and lighting (shadows, weird light sources) were terrible where I took these, but thank goodness for full frame sensors, image stabilization, and adobe lightroom.

Apr 8, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #2,978 of 8,365
just some initial pix of my blackwoods

ILD7W95.jpg

Qk7GCWE.jpg

GJg4BrL.jpg

SJfSW6R.jpg

The placement (my desk is a disaster) and lighting (shadows, weird light sources) were terrible where I took these, but thank goodness for full frame sensors, image stabilization, and adobe lightroom.

Very nice! Which Woo amp are you using?

Apr 8, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #2,980 of 8,365
Just received my cocobolo Auteur, this is my third go-around with these headphones. I started with the Manchurian ash, which were great. I knew then this was the headphone for me, but the denser woods had me curious. I moved on to the blackwood/brass Auteur, which I loved, but the weight was a little bit much for my noggin for extended listening. Hoping for a balance, I decided to try the cocobolo and also opted for the lighter magnesium chassis found on the Vérité. This is THE ONE. Not only are these sonic and visual stunners, they are light on the head and super comfortable.

Bravo Zach! Third try is the charm, I am in love :)

Normally I go for blackwood over any other wood for this HP--but these coco's are flat-out stunning. Color me green with envy!

Apr 8, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #2,981 of 8,365
just received my Blackwood (photos coming). Just gave them an initial listen. OMG, I love these. If this is the ZMF house sound I'm sold and I'm sure I will have more ZMFs in my hopefully not distant future. When i listened to some Utopias last weekend at the SF meet, I could appreciate their technical capabilities, but I knew their being analytical wasn't for me. The Auteurs have a trace more sibilance than I prefer, but not bad (currently using with Yggy A2, Cardas Golden Presence XLR, V281, Silvergarde S2 XLR, Auteur pads?). I can play around with cables and amps (will have to fire up the WA22). This is going to be so much fun. Sub bass decent, but doesn't match LCD-4 and Ether 2, but maybe pad swap will help (I don't think I'm a bass head, but maybe I'm a bass head...)

I just finished an 18-mile run and I'm starving and need to get some lunch, but, oh, I can't stop listening...(must procure physical sustenance...)

Question - I have two sets of perf pads. One is squishier than the other. I'm guessing the softer is the Auteur and the slightly firmer one is the Eikon. Is that right?

I do believe we have a marathon runner in our midst...

Apr 8, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #2,982 of 8,365
Normally I go for blackwood over any other wood for this HP--but these coco's are flat-out stunning. Color me green with envy!

Coco is the most visually stunning wood I’ve ever seen (including Brazilian rosewood imo).

I’ve seen some Cocobolo guitars at Rudy’s here in NYC that were almost painful to behold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back