ZMF Auteur Thread
Apr 9, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #2,988 of 8,349
in my prime, I was more of an ultramarathoner/ironman triathlete, but that was a long time ago. I'm old and fat now...

Well you’re the first fat 18 miles for fun runner I know, now where’s that extra pop tart, ahhh, there it is...:hugging:

Apr 9, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #2,989 of 8,349
Apr 12, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #2,991 of 8,349
My Cocobolo Auteurs arrived today and I must say the craftsmanship is top notch. I asked Zach if he had any more Blackwood Auteurs on hand and of course the there wasn't. But Zach said he could take a cut of the dark Cocobolo wood and get me close. All I can say is wow! Out the box they have fantastic tonality that I know will get better. Thanks @zach915m for an amazing headphone!

IMG_1136.jpg IMG_1138.jpg

Apr 12, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #2,992 of 8,349
My Cocobolo Auteurs arrived today and I must say the craftsmanship is top notch. I asked Zach if he had any more Blackwood Auteurs on hand and of course the there wasn't. But Zach said he could take a cut of the dark Cocobolo wood and get me close. All I can say is wow! Out the box they have fantastic tonality that I know will get better. Thanks @zach915m for an amazing headphone!

Beautiful, enjoy!!!

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #2,993 of 8,349
Beautiful, enjoy!!!
Thanks! I'm loving them so far. They have their own sound signature and sound nothing like any of the headphones in my inventory. I think that's what I like the most about them.

Apr 14, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #2,994 of 8,349
Anyone using an aftermarket cable with their Auteurs? I want a balanced cable but I want to know if an all copper or an all silver cable would net the best sound. Maybe even a hybrid cable as well.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #2,995 of 8,349
Anyone using an aftermarket cable with their Auteurs? I want a balanced cable but I want to know if an all copper or an all silver cable would net the best sound. Maybe even a hybrid cable as well.

Check out Norne Audio, Trevor makes incredible custom cables at “reasonable” prices compared to Lavercables, Nordost, Wireworld, Whywires, and Prion (and at a minimum equal to their performance).

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #2,996 of 8,349
Some of that depends on what kind of sound you're going for, but I can second the Norne recommendation that @Wildcatsare1 made.

I have a bunch of them (Norne, Moon Audio, Cardas, ZMF) ranging from copper to hybrid to silver. I did an initial listen through them and primarily use the Norne Silvergarde. I had someone else PM me about the sound of the different cables I had, but I didn't have my Auteur then. I'll try to do a comparison today and post here.

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #2,997 of 8,349
I have the ZMF 2K cable that I use for both Auteur and Verite. I think that a silver or silver hybrid cable would be too bright for the Auteur,but thats just an educated guess based upon using silver hybrid cables in the past on other headphones.

Apr 14, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #2,998 of 8,349
I prefer my norne silver draug a little more than my norne volsund

The volsund works well in unison with the auteirs but I prefer the detail silver brings. I do sometimes use my volsund still though

I did briefly try the solv3 hybrid but still the silver draug is my preferred option

That’s using my woo wa2 and cayin iha6

Apr 14, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #2,999 of 8,349
I use a silver plated copper cable from YFS on mine, and while you might think silver would make it too bright, I think it just accentuates the top end to the perfect amount. Best part is, it's not crazy expensive.

His pricing is great, he's local to me (Denver CO area), and I've heard/seen lots of his work. I also didn't have to wait months for my cable to be built, unlike my previous attempt at ordering a Norne cable. It's a no-brainer recommendation from me.

The cable at my office at work is from Forza, which I also highly recommend. The Noir Hybrid HPC sounds excellent, and I really like the Viablue plugs.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #3,000 of 8,349
Some of that depends on what kind of sound you're going for, but I can second the Norne recommendation that @Wildcatsare1 made.

I have a bunch of them (Norne, Moon Audio, Cardas, ZMF) ranging from copper to hybrid to silver. I did an initial listen through them and primarily use the Norne Silvergarde. I had someone else PM me about the sound of the different cables I had, but I didn't have my Auteur then. I'll try to do a comparison today and post here.
Thanks everyone for chiming in. Norne cables seem to be a favorite on the forums. The Silvergarde S3 interest me as well as the Draug 3. The Draug Silver that @thecrow mentions also seems like a nice option. But based on what I’m hearing from Auteurs so far they don’t need anymore top end enhancements. So I’m leaning towards the Draug 3 at the moment. The Silvergarde S3 seems to performs unlike other silver cables, meaning it doesn’t have the treble harshness associated with silver. But it seems to offer more details than the Draug 3. Both seem like good quality cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back