ZMF Auteur Thread
Nov 19, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #2,611 of 8,327
Nov 19, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #2,613 of 8,327
Well, there you go then.

I think the Auteur has better overall FR. It sounds smooth to me, whereas the T1 always had a peaky aspect to it I couldn't get along with. Just sounds rough from track to track. Mostly in the treble. Auteur definitely has the better midrange. Both are about equal on how open they sound, to me. Beyer is a brand I always wanted to like so much, but could never get over the homicidal treble.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #2,614 of 8,327
Well, they killed me :)

Your ears, my ears.

I was very disappointed -- bought T1g2 and really hoped I'd love them. But they literally hurt my ears after like 20 minutes. Sold after maybe 5 hours of listening. And they were purchased used, so there was no burn-in needed. Much worse than the slight treble issue I've had with Utopia. Maybe tubes would have solved the problem, who can say?

Back to your original question:

From memory, Auteur are not as bright as T1, more bass extension and impact, more neutral. Probably close to just as dynamic/energetic as T1.

But there's like a 2 year gap between my owning T1 and Auteur, so take with a bushel of salt.

Nov 19, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #2,615 of 8,327
I had a late gen1 T1 and as I remember it wins weight/comfort, soundstage and treble extension. Probably pretty equal in detail retrieval and imaging, although that's a bit harder without directly comparing them. They're also a lot cheaper too. Everything else I'd go with the Auteur on. But honestly, I don't think they really even belong in the same class/discussion.

Nov 19, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #2,616 of 8,327
Nov 19, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #2,617 of 8,327
I was very disappointed -- bought T1g2 and really hoped I'd love them. But they literally hurt my ears after like 20 minutes. Sold after maybe 5 hours of listening.

I guess you had Beyer's remorse. :triportsad:

Nov 19, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #2,618 of 8,327
Nov 19, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #2,619 of 8,327
I guess you had Beyer's remorse. :triportsad:

Don't pay attention to this guy, he's a little too Shure of himself :ksc75smile:

As far as ZMF, for me it's also about patronizing a small business..I'd much rather spend my $$ where it makes a difference when possible.
Not to mention that just about every ZMF I've heard fits my sonic preferences to a "T". Put the 2 together, and the decision is easy for me. The funds are another matter, but worth it IMO.
I'm going to have the opportunity to have an Auteur on loan, and I am very much looking forward to it.

Nov 22, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #2,620 of 8,327
Nov 22, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #2,621 of 8,327
Im a bit late to be able to add anything of value to this thread,but my gawd!

Listening to Pink Floyd The Wall thru the Auteur...

So damn beautiful.

And no,the T1 doesnt even come close to this.

Nov 23, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #2,622 of 8,327
Im a bit late to be able to add anything of value to this thread,but my gawd!

Listening to Pink Floyd The Wall thru the Auteur...

So damn beautiful.

And no,the T1 doesnt even come close to this.

I thought they were great headphones but didn’t enjoy them as much as my HD650s at first. Paired it up with the MCTH and a 6c8g tube, I was floored from the holographic stage. Finally found a tube combination that works extremely well with in the GOTL and now I’m always reaching for them. It does so many things right and does little wrong. The only fault I can give them is its speed. That can be mitigated through the chain.

Nov 27, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #2,623 of 8,327
I thought they were great headphones but didn’t enjoy them as much as my HD650s at first. Paired it up with the MCTH and a 6c8g tube, I was floored from the holographic stage. Finally found a tube combination that works extremely well with in the GOTL and now I’m always reaching for them. It does so many things right and does little wrong. The only fault I can give them is its speed. That can be mitigated through the chain.

To whet your appetite,the Verite with Universe pads takes the holographic part and kicks it up to eleven! The Auteur to my ears is wider and has more air,but im using different tubes for both,so that may have somewhat of an impact.
Tonight its Bladerunner 2049 OST....So good on Auteur!

Nov 27, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #2,624 of 8,327
To whet your appetite,the Verite with Universe pads takes the holographic part and kicks it up to eleven! The Auteur to my ears is wider and has more air,but im using different tubes for both,so that may have somewhat of an impact.
Tonight its Bladerunner 2049 OST....So good on Auteur!

The Bladerunner 2049 is fantastic! It's been a while since a movie enthralled as much as the original Blade Runner. Atmospheric and well mastered. I think I'll sit down today after work and go through it all. Thanks for the reminder.

Are you using brighter tubes with the Verites compared to the Auteurs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back