1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ZMF Auteur Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by PacoTaco, Oct 15, 2017.
First

Back
166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175
177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186
Next

Last
  1. xenithon
    I’ll add to these recommendations with the God Of War (PlayStation) soundtrack by Bear McCreary. Truly beautiful and haunting on the Auteur.

2. heliosphann
    I'm always amazed by the polarity of 2049. Blade Runner is one of my all time favorite films, and I thought 2049 was a steaming (albeit pretty) pile of excrement. Soundtrack was decent, it's just a shame they didn't go with Jóhann Jóhannsson's version.

3. Monsterzero
    Yes. Ive bought a couple new rectifiers and power tubes recently so still mixing em up,but last night I kept the same rectifier(Mullard GZ32) and power tubes(RCA 6080s) and just changed the driver. Tung Sol 6N7GT round plate for Auteur,and C3Gs for Verite.

Thanks for the tip. I will check it out. If you guys enjoy atmospheric stuff check out the OST to the film Annihilation. Intense.

4. llamaluv
    And having done that, you can legitimately say it can play Crysis.

felix3650 likes this.
  5. gLer
    Gents, it's taken far too long, but as of today I'm a proud member of the Auteur Owners Association!

Zach has crafted what I can only describe as a work of absolute art, a headphone so elegant yet ruggedly beautiful, it hurts me to put them on my head where I can no longer see them. I'd auditioned the Teak Auteur numerous times, and each time found it exceptional, although perhaps lacking a touch of heft (compared to what I considered my 'endgame' headphone, the LCD-3), and a touch of speed and dynamism (compared to my daily driver, the Elex). Zach suggested I try the Auteur in a harder wood, and while I couldn't quite stretch to the Blackwood, when he showed me a demo pair he made out of African Wenge - complete with brushed aluminium hardware - it was love at first sight.

And so the final piece of my desktop system is in place, and I have at last a headphone that will, with good fortune, be passed down through generations of my family. I'll be sure to post impressions (maybe even a longer review, if there's any interest), but on first listen Zach's masterpiece is everything I'd hoped for: organic, natural, and oh so real, but with the speed and heft of the denser, darker Wenge.

I can go on and on, but I'd rather just show you...

Wengay_14.jpg Wengay_15.jpg Wengay_16.jpg Wengay_21.jpg Wengay_18.jpg Wengay_22.jpg Wengay_26.jpg Wengay_25.jpg Wengay_28.jpg Wengay_30.jpg

6. Slim1970
    Damn those look fantastic!

gLer likes this.
  7. Phantaminum
    Congrats! Beautiful looking wood cups and the aluminum makes it pop.

Edit: I like the extra touch with the pine cones. They both give off a dark chocolate color.

gLer likes this.
  8. phthora
    Well, @gLer I see you've changed your userpic. Does that just reflect your new enthusiasm for the Auteur, or has the Auteur unseated the LCD-3 as top of your line-up?

gLer likes this.
  9. thecrow
    They look great Guy. Interesting how (if i read it correctly) you are moving away from your lcd3 - as also seen on your signature.
    You always did mention (from memory) the slam of the lcd3 you enjoyed/preferred

on a side issue I have been using my teak auteur with a norne volsund (copper) cable with my woo wa2 (otl) amp.
    I usually use the power tubes that I find have the best extension and detail (gec 6as7g) and the driver tubes with the best layering and musicality (Pinched Waist Holland) but tonight i threw in some tubes sacrificing some detail and extension for a bit more weight to the music (Bendix graphite plates and some d getter holland tubes - go very well with deep purple albums) and I am really impressed how the auteur has responded in offering a noticeable tweak and still impressing. Still sounding nicely detailed and open/layered
    This may prevent me buying an additional headphone...or at least postpone it as I was eyeing an LCD3

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    gLer likes this.
  10. gLer
    Both @phthora. I sold the LCD-3 and replaced it with the Auteur. Long story, but couldn't be happier (even though the LCD-3 was my 'aspirational' headphone once upon a time, and will always hold a special place in my heart). I've refined my system down to one source, one amp/dac, and one headphone, but have kept the Focal Elex as my daily driver when I'm working/for background music, and a portable FiiO rig (dap/IEMs) for travelling.

phthora likes this.
  11. Phantaminum
    Btw @gLer You should ask @2359glenn about building a GOTL amp for you. It has great synergy with Zach's headphones.

Sorry Glenn you'll be working until you retire at 90.

gLer likes this.
  12. thecrow
    is your elex an elex or an elear with elex earpads?

13. gLer
    I did (and still do) love the slam of the LCD-3, but from the start I wanted to build a very streamlined system that I can just enjoy with almost any music I picked for the mood, and when I finally settled on the Elex/LCD-3 as my preferred combination, I realised I wanted something that would suit a wider range of genres and would also be easier to wear for very long sessions.

I subsequently auditioned my brother's Teak Auteurs at length (we both use the same source and amp/dac) I found them just a touch too bright with the stock Auteur pads and a touch too dark with the Eikon pads (no doubt this would be very different with tubes, but neither of us have or use tube amps). Zach suggested I try an Auteur in harder wood, showed me the beauty you see above, and as of today, the rest is history :)

I'd say go for it re the LCD-3. It's an exceptional headphone, beautifully deep and textured bass, with a holographic soundstage that few other headphones can muster. I personally can't justify owning both, but if you have the means, they make a very complementary pairing.

14. gLer
    Haha, don't joke. I've given it much thought. For now I'm finding the Audio-gd R-28 has great synergy with these hardwood Auteurs of mine, and the Auteur seems to take very well to the organic sound of the NOS R2R dac. If I do one day add a tube amp to the arsenal, chances are it'll be a GOTL.

15. gLer
    An Elear with Elex pads. Exactly the same difference :)

First

Back
166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175
177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186
Next

Last