1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ZMF Auteur Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by PacoTaco, Oct 15, 2017.
First

Back
164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173
175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184
Next

Last
  1. pure5152
    I have a gumby (A2) + lyr3 + eikon, and while it's not the auteur, I thought I'd throw some thoughts on this (spoilers: it's a magical combo <3)

For the past two weeks I've been using the stock NOS tube that came with the lyr 3, per recommendation from ProfFalkin, which has been doing me well. However, I recently got a little bear b4, was upset that that $80 tube amp actually sounded better (more soundstage, visceral timbre) than the lyr 3 with stock tubes, both out of the gumby. The b4 uses raytheon tubes, so I recently got a Raytheon GTB tube, and I'm happy to say it's a nice step up in terms of slam, soundstage, and clarity.

What did I learn? Stock NOS is a good first step (and I do feel it's a step above the other stock tung-sol offering), but I feel it's holding back the lyr 3's potential, and there are better tubes out there, one of them being the Raytheon GTB tube. I also bought a Raytheon VT-231 that's arriving tomorrow, and I'll probably write some impressions on the Lyr 3 tube rolling thread later haha.

There's a lot more thoughts in the lyr 3 tube rolling thread, but it's over a hundred pages long at this point... For quick advice, I'd recommend the Raytheon GTB tube I got, which you can get from eBay for around $15 a tube; it's a nice upgrade.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  2. xenithon
    Hi all. Been playing around with some EQ. Favorite thus far is just a little notch at 27hz and 54hz (got that from one of the posts in this thread). It also has a midbass negative gain at 200hz but it thinned it out a little too much so took that away.

The above makes a marked and welcome difference in deep sub bass. I was wondering what frequency I should tinker with to get a touch more kick to something like kick drums? For example Love Bites from Def Leppard or Keep The Faith from Bon Jovi.

3. LoryWiv
    I had a long listen to the Focal Clear and LCD2c some months ago before buying my Auteur. I hadn't heard the Auteur at that time so can't offer direct comparisons, but with a grain of salt and from memory, I'd say:

1. LCD2c was very musical, most visceral bass of the 3 with a pleasing warm coloration, but it's overall imaging and detail retrieval fell just short. Mids didn't seem forward enough on some vocals and treble was just a tad less extended than the other two.
    2. Clear sounded great right out of the gate, very detailed and the instrument separation was top notch, really mind blowing on the jazz quartet recording I auditioned. Bass, mids were excellent but I did find the treble a little bright especially on older recordings. I felt they may be fatiguing with extended listening sessions. Also not as coherent a presentation as the LCD2c.
    3. Auteur, which I've now had about 4 months, is the winner for me. It is unfailingly musical, even with subpar recordings, and has an organic coherence to it's presentation that I really enjoy. It is nicely balanced across the frequencies, although definitely not for bassheads ( I have a ZMF Ori planar which hits far harder). The stage and separation are less immediately impressive than the Clear but Auteur seems more natural. I now rarely reach for any other HP as the Auteur is just exciting enough without getting in the way of the music even during long listening sessions. I have some interest in hearing the upcoming ZMF Verite or perhaps Focal Elegia, but as a testament to the Auteur my oft recurring upgraditis condition is currently in remission. Oh, and in case you haven't noticed, Auteur is quite nice to look at as well.

Hope this is helpful, although certainly YMMV. Let us know what you decide!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  4. canali
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

many thanks for this...might look around at a used pair...as a canuck we get so hosed
    in paying a painful 30-35% more with our dollar difference...ouch!
    this said, i did find a new pair of focal clear for us$900 shipped, too, from a local vendor.
    and zach @ zmf once offered me 'b stock' set (slight scratch on cans) that were $1299 ish.

i'm also on the fence with the massdrop hifiman edition xx...but those won't arrive 'til may/19.
    https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-edition-xx-headphones

decisions, decisions....

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  5. zach915m
    Hey all - doing an AMA tonight on Reddit at 8PM EST/5PM PST!!!!

AMA = Ask Me Anything.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
  6. heliosphann
    jinxy245 likes this.
  7. Natarian
    jinxy245 and Bern2 like this.
  8. ProfFalkin
    felix3650 likes this.
  9. felix3650
    Exactly! That red/black combo is just great!
    I just wish it sounded like the Blackwood though.

10. xenithon
    My understanding is the Paduak is also quite a hard wood? May not be AS hard as Blackwood, but a lot more so than Teak / Silk?

11. ProfFalkin
    Yes.

12. Bern2
    I almost have to see these in person...I like them all. Thx Zach for offering these/displaying them on your site. (and also for your restraint at some of the trolls on reddit last night.)

Bern

13. heliosphann
    No... Trolls on Reddit???

jinxy245 and Bern2 like this.
  14. phthora
    I thought I'd take some glamor shots of my new ZMF's today. Unfortunately, I don't have an actual camera, nor would I know much about how to use one if I did, so these are phone snaps. They don't really do justice to the beauty of the headphones, especially the gorgeous camphor wood on the Atticus. Anyway, enjoy the pics!

20181117_101950.jpg
    20181117_102300.jpg
    20181117_102425.jpg

15. jmk720
    could anyone compare auteur and beyerdynamic t1?

First

Back
164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173
175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184
Next

Last