1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ZMF Auteur Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by PacoTaco, Oct 15, 2017.
First

Back
167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176
178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187
Next

Last
  1. jinxy245
    I gotta say that's some hella good photography as well...cheers mate, enjoy!

Phantaminum, Monsterzero and gLer like this.
  2. Monsterzero
    Yeah,I mean not only is the GOTL a fantastic amp,and for the price simply cannot be touched,but the guys in the thread that own the GOTL are super helpful and have a vast amount of tube knowledge that theyre eagerly willing to share with newcomers. Ive said as much before,but its worth repeating here.

And I agree with @jinxy245,great shots!

3. nahpungnome
    Absolutely stunning photos! I purchased a set of B stock egg shaped Silk woods this past Monday and they arrive early next week. I can't wait! What lens did you use for your photos? How much post processing did you do, if at all?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    gLer likes this.
  4. gLer
    Thanks and congrats! Are there different types of cup shapes that I wasn’t aware of?

I used a Canon 5D MkIII camera with a Canon 24-70 f/4L IS lens (in both normal and macro mode). Natural light only (no flash), edited in Lightroom with minimal post processing (mainly contrast and some vignetting). Hope this helps.

ColtMrFire and jinxy245 like this.
  5. felix3650
    Welcome aboard! I love how you themed your shots!! The veins on that wood look fantastic. You probably already have one but a nice balanced cable would up the performance of both your R-28 and Auteur. I would suggest Zach's 2K if going all copper and remaining "in da house" for both looks and sound, otherwise Norne's Silvergarde S3 (all silver) takes my no.1 spot :)

EDIT: I too use only a Holo Cyan NOS R2R DAC/Amp for now. As both @Phantaminum & @Monsterzero have suggested consider Glenn's OTL. Zach's dynamics love tubes. I'm getting mine as soon as funds permit!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Phantaminum, gLer and Monsterzero like this.
  6. gLer
    Thanks, I definitely only use the balanced out out of the R-28 (it just sounds better, as does the Auteur with a balanced cable). I have my own custom made cable that uses Sommer Quad OFC with gold Neutrik and Amphenol connectors. The result is an incredibly rich, organic, resolving and non fatiguing sound, the likes of which I struggle to imagine being significantly bettered by a major investment in additional amps, dacs or cables. Not that I doubt further improvements can be made - just that for me, given how incredible my system sounds at this point, it’s not currently worth the outlay of time or money. I just want to explore my vast music library and new music for a good long while before thinking of gear again :)

7. thecrow
    I currently have the norne silver draig amd (copper) volgard. At this point of time i prefer the volgard.

But curious about the silvergarde3, having had the silvergardec2 previously. Have you by any chance ever had the silvergarde 2 or silver draug to compare to the s3?

8. whirlwind

Congrats :):)

Wonderful looking headphones and top-notch photos right there.

I much agree with the recommendation of a GOTL , if tubes ever come into play for you.

I own two amps from Glenn and they both rock!
    I may even have a GOTL up for sale before too long.

Again, congrats and wonderful photos!

Phantaminum and gLer like this.
  9. felix3650
    I originally had the 2K with a 1/4 connector but re-terminated with a Neutrik 4pin XLR and glad I did. Out of the balanced socket of the Cyan the Auteur sounds substantially better. It also happens that I like tubes too so adding the GOTL would make sense for me :)

10. felix3650
    Unfortunately I can't help with the comparison as I've only had the SolvX Hybrid (silver/copper mix).. I'm waiting for the Volgard Volsund to be finished with a balanced to single ended adapter to use both with the Auteur and the HD58X (with conversion adapters).
    I prefer the 2K cable with poorly mastered tracks as it's quite smooth and forgiving. The Auteur can be quite revealing sometimes :)

11. thecrow
    ahhh..let me know how you find the volgard (whenever it arrives) with the auteur especially relative to the others

i also have the solv x3 for the lcd2 and auteur. it now is essentially exclusively used with my lcd2. it surprised me how much i liked it in that match.
    I do like detail and extension (and things like that) but found the silver draug cable changed the lcd2 too much away from what it is to me but the solv x3 just made it better with clarity but still lcd2 mids and bottom end and balance.

EDIT: i always get my volsund and volgard mixed up. I have gone back to check my emals with Trevor. The volsund is what I have for my auteur (and lcd2). I have HAD the volgard but the volsund (for me) was definitely better in detail/openness.
    YMMV

12. nahpungnome
    Nah it was on the BStock page, so it was probably an experiment or mistake hence the heavy discount.

Didn't realize the f4 version of that lens did macro that well!

gLer likes this.
  13. felix3650
    Oh sorry my mistake...now I'm noticing I wrote "Volgard" instead of "Volsund". This what happens when you write from your phone with word suggestion on...I confuse those two as well as their name is close.
    Once I have all the three cables with me I'll report back on how they influence the Auteur :)

14. gLer
    Yep, I actually sold my 2.8 to get this version, which also gives you 5-stop IS.

Won’t eggshell cups affect the sound?

15. nahpungnome
    That was the first thing I asked, I believe Zach was the one that responded to my email, but he said it wouldn't and that they sound great.

First

Back
167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176
178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187
Next

Last