ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
Dec 20, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #2,611 of 3,119
Nice collection! Yamaha is always my soft spot.
Yamaha is pretty underrated, imo. Especially their TOTL gear.

Coincidentally, if I had to pick one major corporation for which ZMF is most similar, it’s Yamaha. They’ve always tried to combine traditional craftsmanship with innovative technologies. They both understand the tuning recipe for natural, realistic sound (I.e., what live music sounds like)

Maybe just a coincidence that the founders of both ZMF & Yamaha had their start in tuning musical instruments and studying the acoustic properties of sound production… :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #2,612 of 3,119
...and another reason why I have been loving my new walnut AC: I had hoped for the Atrium's (open) driver sound, but with a little more air up top for jazz. It's got the woody cup reverb of the VC, but I prefer the tuning and driver sound of the AC. It's exactly what I was hoping for in keeping the qualities I loved in the VC & the Atrium but then shifted in ways to pretty much my exact preference. It's moments like these that I feel so content listening and make this search very much worth it! By the way, here's a recommendation for those wanting something that I think you'll enjoy if you like jazz. Sounds so good on the AC for the reasons I described above. The Song of the Silent Dragon by Oded Tzur.

Attachments

• 7888DA64-1CA0-4BDF-9886-271C24BE55C5.jpeg
    7888DA64-1CA0-4BDF-9886-271C24BE55C5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #2,613 of 3,119
I am very impressed by the sound signature!
This could be the best ZMF for my taste.

IMG_2106.jpeg

Dec 22, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #2,614 of 3,119
I just got my Olivewood AC yesterday. Did a quick listen, and the sound is pretty amazing already. However, I'm a bit concerned about the channel imbalance I heard. When I immediately plugged them in yesterday, I felt like I heard a lot of bass deficiencies and slight lower mids – like the left cup was 6-8dB quieter. I figured it could need burn-in, so it's been running in the burn-in station overnight.

This morning, I checked it again, and it had improved a bit – but it was still bugging me enough to take a quick measurement (MiniDSP EARS, HEQ calibration):

AC Channels 12-22-23.png

So it confirmed my suspicions, and there's 3-4dB after 20+ hours of burn-in. It's pretty consistent and audible to my ears. What are everyone's experiences with channel imbalance? Will something like this resolve with further burn-in?
(I would email and ask, but they must be swamped right now, so I figured I'd get the community answer first, before bothering them)

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #2,615 of 3,119
I just got my Olivewood AC yesterday. Did a quick listen, and the sound is pretty amazing already. However, I'm a bit concerned about the channel imbalance I heard. When I immediately plugged them in yesterday, I felt like I heard a lot of bass deficiencies and slight lower mids – like the left cup was 6-8dB quieter. I figured it could need burn-in, so it's been running in the burn-in station overnight.

This morning, I checked it again, and it had improved a bit – but it was still bugging me enough to take a quick measurement (MiniDSP EARS, HEQ calibration):

AC Channels 12-22-23.png

So it confirmed my suspicions, and there's 3-4dB after 20+ hours of burn-in. It's pretty consistent and audible to my ears. What are everyone's experiences with channel imbalance? Will something like this resolve with further burn-in?
(I would email and ask, but they must be swamped right now, so I figured I'd get the community answer first, before bothering them)

I assume you've tried different cables and amps? But yes, definitely email them if you hear a clear channel imbalance. That isn't normal even without burn-in.

Dec 22, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #2,616 of 3,119
I assume you've tried different cables and amps?
Yes, 3 amps, 3 cables, swapped L+R, all the usual suspects. I'll keep burning in and check if anything improves by next week, I guess. Not worth bothering them about it until the holidays are over, and 3-4dB channel imbalance is EQ-able (at least with Equalizer APO) until I can get an official response from them about it.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #2,617 of 3,119
Hope you get it sorted asap, I'd be super mad if I had a 3-4 dB or worse channel imbalance. Anything can happen though during shipment or other factors. ZMF is pretty damn good about quality control so this is a first. Happy holidays!

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #2,618 of 3,119

We are petty anal retentive about QC, and from the look of it it seems like a seal/headband bend thing as that's where the bass can be affected like that. I would try rotating the pads on the side youre not getting a seal and check out our new owner care video to be d the headband. I am sorry if the headband came a touch off etc.

If you want us to check it out and send you back our measurements and let you know what's up, we're absolutely happy to at any time. Just reach out to us directly.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 23, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #2,619 of 3,119
We are petty anal retentive about QC, and from the look of it it seems like a seal/headband bend thing as that's where the bass can be affected like that. I would try rotating the pads on the side youre not getting a seal and check out our new owner care video to be d the headband. I am sorry if the headband came a touch off etc.

If you want us to check it out and send you back our measurements and let you know what's up, we're absolutely happy to at any time. Just reach out to us directly.
My headband is always a bit wonky actually. Bent slightly to one side. I haven’t done a bit of bending to try to improve the arch but I will watch the vid

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #2,620 of 3,119
Actually that reminds me of my demo with AC. I couldn't quiet get the right sound out of box, but when pushing the pads "forward" a little bit it helped a ton. Caldera Ultra Perf pads on AO is similar but less so. It's not as finicky as it sounds as I think it depends a lot on your head shape etc. I tend to prefer the thicker part of the pad to follow the jaw to get a better seal especially with the closed backs.

Dec 23, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #2,621 of 3,119
I've been using the Bokeh protein pads on the AC today and really like them! They're very very similar to the stock Caldera thin pads that come with the AC, but add just a bit more bite all around. Not sure if it's the better seal I get (protein material is more malleable than lambskin) or the material itself producing slightly stronger/harder hitting transients, but I love it. Again, not a huge difference, but I do hear it pretty easily. Where I'm slightly hesitant on them is they make the AC a bit aggressive sounding in the mids. I'm listening to Frank Sinatra - That's Life and his voice occasionally makes me wince a bit at times whereas with the Auteur suede pads do not do this. But man is the AC engaging with them! Not as smooth or easy listening, but really fun! I have been lowering the volume over the last few hours as my ears fatigue, so for long term listening they won't be my first choice (that's Auteur suede), but for a quickie they are oh so fun.

Dec 24, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #2,622 of 3,119
@erics75 looks like I’m going to need to order a pair! You and I have similar ears on the Atrium (no mesh/Be2 pads) and while I do like the AC a lot (caldera suedes) I can say I definitely prefer the AO. Not a knock on the AC because the AO is probably my favorite headphone ever and I’ve been around the TOTL block.

But your descriptors seem to be what direction I’d like to take the AC in, even the aggressive mids you reference.

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #2,623 of 3,119
@erics75 looks like I’m going to need to order a pair! You and I have similar ears on the Atrium (no mesh/Be2 pads) and while I do like the AC a lot (caldera suedes) I can say I definitely prefer the AO. Not a knock on the AC because the AO is probably my favorite headphone ever and I’ve been around the TOTL block.

But your descriptors seem to be what direction I’d like to take the AC in, even the aggressive mids you reference.
Or get a Bokeh! :) it’s even more of what I described. I love being an enabler :smiling_imp:

I’m going to test the AC with solid lamb BE2 pads over the coming days as I got a pair of b stock on sale. I have them on the Bokeh currently but will also test them on the AC. I’m hoping they bring out the upper region without sacrificing the low end. Basically try to bring its tuning more in line with how we like the AO. I’ll report back when I have a decent understanding of the Sonics.

Dec 24, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #2,624 of 3,119
Dec 26, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #2,625 of 3,119

Users who are viewing this thread

Back