ZMF November // 2023 // MEGATHREAD!
Nov 29, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #1,366 of 2,411
We did an estimate as to what workload we think we can handle, and if all goes well everything will be shipped within 5 weeks from the order, but we do ask for 8 weeks just in case as we always make sure to check each unit and make sure it's 100% before it ships, and will do anything needed etc and sometimes that can take a minute.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 29, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #1,367 of 2,411
IMG_0877.jpg

Taking an indefinite break from scaling the hobby mountain here. The result of an explosion of obsession following the disintegration of my old Sundaras over the course of three months or so.

The chain so far is a Denafrips Ares II leading into a Revision 1 Ampsandsound Kenzie OG into either my Audeze LCD 2 Rosewood or my ZMF Atticus Stabilized that I acquired from this year's ZMF November. I went through a few pieces of gear to get to where I am now, although not as much as others have over the years.

The amp by far was what surprised me the most. Yes I can tell the difference between headphones, but I think nearly everyone can. But until I tried the Kenzie OG I hadn't been absolutely wowed by any piece of source equipment. My Woo Audio 6 SE, while subtly warmer than my previous SS amp, couldn't justify the sheer amount of space it took up on my little drawer unit. By comparison, the Kenzie is much more compact but also just more exciting overall. There's more energy behind each note, especially in the bass. I wasn't aware that my LCD-2's could slam until I got the Kenzie

But once I got the Atticus I really got to feel the slam of those sweet sweet low frequency wavelengths. The bass response of the closed back ZMF is just another level, and in some ways it's actually a little overwhelming and fatiguing. In a way I'm glad they're not just strictly better than my LCD-2s, as I like to have alternatives in my collection for different purposes. The LCD's are smoother, gentler in their delivery. And I think the years of wearing my Sundaras or HD-6XX open back headphones have gotten me used to hearing my mechanical keyboard when I work at my desk.

As for the DAC, the upgrade was more out of a need for features rather than sound quality if I'm being perfectly honest. Coming from an S.M.S.L. SU-8, I couldn't quite pick out a significant sound difference. However, my current home computer has a rather obnoxious coil whine issue, and with the SU-8 the buzz would travel into my amp and into the headphones. I had a feeling it was due to the lack of proper grounding in the USB cable, and sure enough swapping to the Ares II solved the issue.

Thank you for reading my story, please feel free to ask any questions!

Nov 29, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #1,368 of 2,411
That new all-ZMF thread hasn't quite caught fire, so re-posting here:
Has anyone heard both the ZMF 2K Copper cable and the Lektrik-C 4-strand? At almost twice the price, how much better does the 2K actually sound?

Nov 29, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #1,369 of 2,411
That new all-ZMF thread hasn't quite caught fire, so re-posting here:
Has anyone heard both the ZMF 2K Copper cable and the Lektrik-C 4-strand? At almost twice the price, how much better does the 2K actually sound?
As someone who happens to own the 2K Copper and Verite Silver cables, I don’t think you’re likely to get your money’s worth when going from a high quality cable to another more expensive high quality cable. I don’t think I would be able to reliably tell the difference between the sound of the stock ZMF OFC cable and the two much more expensive ZMF cables. The look and feel of the fancier cables is obviously on a different level. I got both of my expensive cables bundled with used ZMFs I bought. I don’t think I would have personally been able to justify the expenditure on them as stand-alone purchases. Of course, we all have different budgets and priorities.

I always recommend using cables as the last little tweak to a system, and even then come in with low expectations for sound improvements. If you have room to upgrade your amp, DAC or headphones, I think that’s worth saving for if you’re thinking about spending a big chunk of money on a cable upgrade.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #1,370 of 2,411
I use the ZMF Silver on my AC and like it very much. It works well on the bass, as I find the AC is very sensitive in bass quality and control to everything in the upstream chain. I was using the Meze Silver, but now I find the ZMF is better.
If anyone happens to listen to the new ZMF Palladium, I'd be curious. The cable makes a big difference to my ears on the AC (I have an Olive one.)

Nov 29, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #1,371 of 2,411
I use the ZMF Silver on my AC and like it very much. It works well on the bass, as I find the AC is very sensitive in bass quality and control to everything in the upstream chain. I was using the Meze Silver, but now I find the ZMF is better.
If anyone happens to listen to the new ZMF Palladium, I'd be curious. The cable makes a big difference to my ears on the AC (I have an Olive one.)
I have all 3.

2k Copper is smoother and slower. Good for verite open or atrium open.

Verite silver is fast and precise, with higher energy. Better with Caldera and AC, or any closed back.

Palladium is fast, rich, and lovely. Great on everything I've tried so far.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #1,372 of 2,411
The amp by far was what surprised me the most. Yes I can tell the difference between headphones, but I think nearly everyone can. But until I tried the Kenzie OG I hadn't been absolutely wowed by any piece of source equipment.
I felt exactly the same way when hearing the OG Auteurs on a Kenzie Encore. It led to me buying an Ampsandsound Forge and then a Pendant SE, and selling all my solid state amps. True magic with A&S amps, and a special kind of synergy with both Audeze and ZMF headphones. I bet they rock the socks off the Atticus!

Nov 29, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #1,373 of 2,411
I actually have some thoughts I wanna share on cables...

I ordered the ZMF copper with my VC about a year ago. I wasn't skeptical on upgrade cables sounding different, but I bought it mainly for the beautiful aesthetic purpose and was surprised that I didn't like the sound. It made the bass bloom in the AO (stabilized wood FWIW) more bloated, took the soundstage in a bit and also clarity went down a hair. The change in sound was surprisingly noticeable versus the OFC cables and other stock cables. I listened to it a lot to make sure it was burned in, and while it sounds less "stiff", the attributes are the same. I've tried on my VC, Meze Empyrean and Audeze LCD-2 and LCD-3 all with the same results.

Fast forward to trying the black and white stock (copper and silver mix) that came with my LCD-4 (I've since sold it) and was surprised in just how much I liked the sound. Clarity (in the best way - not fatiguing), soundstage and bass sounded great (bass particularly sounded more tight and clean - a great mix for darker sounding headphones). Since I sold the LCD-4, that cable went with it, but I was able to get the free upgraded cable when I got my Meze Empyrean (I believe it's the copper and silver mix too) and I like it a lot. Has similar attributes to the Audeze stock. I listened to the copper again recently and I still don't prefer the sound. Haven't tried ZMF silver or the Grand Palladium though.

Just thought I'd share since it might be helpful to others considering a copper versus silver/copper.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #1,374 of 2,411
I felt exactly the same way when hearing the OG Auteurs on a Kenzie Encore. It led to me buying an Ampsandsound Forge and then a Pendant SE, and selling all my solid state amps. True magic with A&S amps, and a special kind of synergy with both Audeze and ZMF headphones. I bet they rock the socks off the Atticus!
It really is just such an amazing combo. The pairing really adds a lot of texture to the music and it's almost like I'm transported to the recording studio.

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #1,375 of 2,411
IMG_0877.jpg

Taking an indefinite break from scaling the hobby mountain here. The result of an explosion of obsession following the disintegration of my old Sundaras over the course of three months or so.

The chain so far is a Denafrips Ares II leading into a Revision 1 Ampsandsound Kenzie OG into either my Audeze LCD 2 Rosewood or my ZMF Atticus Stabilized that I acquired from this year's ZMF November. I went through a few pieces of gear to get to where I am now, although not as much as others have over the years.

The amp by far was what surprised me the most. Yes I can tell the difference between headphones, but I think nearly everyone can. But until I tried the Kenzie OG I hadn't been absolutely wowed by any piece of source equipment. My Woo Audio 6 SE, while subtly warmer than my previous SS amp, couldn't justify the sheer amount of space it took up on my little drawer unit. By comparison, the Kenzie is much more compact but also just more exciting overall. There's more energy behind each note, especially in the bass. I wasn't aware that my LCD-2's could slam until I got the Kenzie

But once I got the Atticus I really got to feel the slam of those sweet sweet low frequency wavelengths. The bass response of the closed back ZMF is just another level, and in some ways it's actually a little overwhelming and fatiguing. In a way I'm glad they're not just strictly better than my LCD-2s, as I like to have alternatives in my collection for different purposes. The LCD's are smoother, gentler in their delivery. And I think the years of wearing my Sundaras or HD-6XX open back headphones have gotten me used to hearing my mechanical keyboard when I work at my desk.

As for the DAC, the upgrade was more out of a need for features rather than sound quality if I'm being perfectly honest. Coming from an S.M.S.L. SU-8, I couldn't quite pick out a significant sound difference. However, my current home computer has a rather obnoxious coil whine issue, and with the SU-8 the buzz would travel into my amp and into the headphones. I had a feeling it was due to the lack of proper grounding in the USB cable, and sure enough swapping to the Ares II solved the issue.

Thank you for reading my story, please feel free to ask any questions!
I have two Kenzies….an Encore and a Original Version 1 that was a demo unit used by Justin. What input tube do you use? Lots of options, especially if you utilize the nine pin adapter….

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #1,376 of 2,411
My "Heritage" colorway Homage just arrived! Pretty pleased with it so far. It's still warming up and I've only listened to it for 3 hours so far, but initial impressions are pretty good. It's fairly inline with what I've been reading across all the different threads online, whether it be expectation bias or otherwise. It does sound a lot more detailed, holographic, and wider sound stage than my Jotunheim 2 (but that's not a hard amp to beat for those metrics).

12226587.jpeg

The Atrium sounds the best I've heard it on a solid state amp – even better than the Magni Piety. It's definitely a different sound than on an OTL, but I'm loving it so far. The staging and atmosphere of the Atrium here is a whole different story compared to the Piety. Yet it has so much more resolution I can pick out than on the Piety or the BHC.

I've felt my VC doesn't pair the best with the tubes I'm currently rolling on my BHC, so I've been using it on solid states recently. I think the Homage runs it the best out of the amps I own. It does sound slightly better on high impedance mode to me, and the added sound stage just sounds open-back like. I'll have to do a longer listen on it, but I feel the VC has finally met its match for me.

DSC00951.jpeg

I felt the XLR inputs sounded much more robust than the RCA. The RCA felt rather thin sounding, and the XLR just sounded "fuller" for a lack of better terms. I didn't carefully volume match them, and it could also be my DACs that sound different from each output. Will need to test more, I guess.

On my dynamics, I really struggled to hear a whole lot of difference on the impedance switch. I wasn't sure at all on the AO, and felt the VC sounded like it improved on High – but I wasn't sure if I could pass a blind test on it. I was even beginning to wonder if the switch was broken. Then I plugged in my Susvara. It was night and day difference between the two now, and Low sounded significantly better for the 60Ω planar driver. So it does work!

DSC00963.jpeg

As I started typing this, I had moved the Homage back to my desk and plugged in the Caldera. I queued up a random soundtrack playlist, but it kind of sounded worse than I remember it sounding on the Jotunheim. I was pretty puzzled. I kept on typing, color graded the photos, and noticed the impedance switch in the picture. Sure enough, the impedance was still on High – oops! Flipping it off, I noticed an immediate "expansion" of staging and holography. The textures of drums and plucked strings were back to the way I've always loved them on the Caldera. It's quite the difference! So both the planar cans had noticeable changes from the impedance setting for me. Very interesting!

Minor nitpick: The VU meter calibration is fixed to whatever signal is incoming. Which does makes sense, in that >0dB is clipping – so the VU is supposed to help show headroom, etc. But the biggest issue for me is that I have EQ bass shelves that can go up to +8dB, so I have a -8dB preamp applied. When using HQPlayer, I also have to add a -3dB reduction for DSD interpolation protection. That's -11dB that the VU can't use – and -10 to -20dB on the meter is a tiny 2-3mm of space for the needle to move. In fact, I'm seeing zero needle movement right now with a moderately quiet track. The VU also scales with the gain setting, so with an IEM set on Low Gain, there's even less VU movement. So with either software EQ or IEMs, the VU is virtually useless, which makes me a bit sad since the meter looks so cool. If there was a pot/dial to calibrate the meter, even just for appearance's sake, that would have been great.

Otherwise, it's a great sounding amp, priced reasonably well, and an interesting aesthetic to add to my desktop collection. I think the front panel matches my Atrium and VC pretty well!

DSC00939.jpeg

One last wish: there should have been a ZMF logo laser-engraved somewhere on the white space on the front panel (or silk screened to the chassis top)! All my other amps have some kind of branding visible from the front.
@zach915m do you sell any small, cool looking ZMF stickers that would go well here? :laughing:

Attachments

• DSC00941.jpeg
    DSC00941.jpeg
    735.4 KB · Views: 0
Nov 30, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #1,377 of 2,411
One more glamour shot. There's nothing out there like ZMF. And I think they sound BETTER than I imagined (after 1 hour, mind you). How often does that happen?PXL_20231129_001316041.PORTRAIT.jpg
With ZMF, all the time !! 🙂😀🤪

Nov 30, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #1,378 of 2,411
I have two Kenzies….an Encore and a Original Version 1 that was a demo unit used by Justin. What input tube do you use? Lots of options, especially if you utilize the nine pin adapter….
Raytheon 2C52 and it's easily my favorite. I snagged the last two from Tube Depot and they're the quietest tube that I've gotten a chance to try. I have a Sylvania 12SL7 and a Sylvania coin base 12SL7 but they're a bit noisier. I haven't gotten a chance to try any really fancy 12AT7 tubes yet since I've been content with the Raytheon.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #1,379 of 2,411
I haven't gotten a chance to try any really fancy 12AT7 tubes yet since I've been content with the Raytheon.
While the 12AT7 rabbit hole is fun, it can also be expensive. My recommendation: Do your research on options and go as high as you can on the budget ONCE rather than chasing “best on a shoestring budget”. That’s where you can kill your wallet “with a thousand purchases”, so to speak. 😂

Nov 30, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #1,380 of 2,411
While the 12AT7 rabbit hole is fun, it can also be expensive. My recommendation: Do your research on options and go as high as you can on the budget ONCE rather than chasing “best on a shoestring budget”. That’s where you can kill your wallet “with a thousand purchases”, so to speak. 😂
… at least with ‘death by a thousand swipes’, there are a thousand moments of glee … 🤪😟

Users who are viewing this thread

Back