ZMF Atrium Closed
Dec 19, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #2,596 of 3,180
Despite already being uber high-end, and oozing quality “, I sold both of these:
431.jpeg

For some VFET goodness:
IMG_1506.jpeg

IMG_1781.jpeg
Those who know, know.

I initially thought I’d never sell the Pioneer stack; how could things get any better? But alas, here we are. This hobby is crazy like that.

Just plain smitten with all of my gear, including my cans. ZMF has kept me off the hype train so many times (well, except for when Zach drops a new model!!)
Both beautiful!

Dec 20, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #2,597 of 3,180
DSC05205_DxO.jpg

Dec 20, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #2,598 of 3,180
Never thought I was going to find a closed back to replace the Radiance. I went through enormous lengths to get a Radiance after they got discontinued and figured I’d want them in my collection for life. As soon as I got AC in the house I A/B’d them and the Radiance never sounded worse.

I’ve been using the AC a lot more than Caldera and I got them both a week apart. I’m enamored with the AC. So much so that I sold the Radiance yesterday. Is what it is. This hobby’s crazy like that sometimes.

Anyone else sell something they thought they’d never because of another product?
The Radiance was also my closed back prior to the AC. I was also going to buy the VC at Canjam but the AC was there and I took that home instead.

Dec 20, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #2,601 of 3,180
Tanks. :)
Yes, it is Cocobolo.

Dec 20, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #2,602 of 3,180
Despite already being uber high-end, and oozing quality “, I sold both of these:
431.jpeg

For some VFET goodness:
IMG_1506.jpeg

IMG_1781.jpeg
Those who know, know.

I initially thought I’d never sell the Pioneer stack; how could things get any better? But alas, here we are. This hobby is crazy like that.

Just plain smitten with all of my gear, including my cans. ZMF has kept me off the hype train so many times (well, except for when Zach drops a new model!!)

Nice collection! Yamaha is always my soft spot. I grew up with a pair of Yamaha NS153 speaker (belong to my parents).

I just checked the spec of Yamaha C-1, interestingly, the headphone impedance out is 47 Ohm, which is same like ZMF Homage!

https://audio-database.com/YAMAHA/amp/c-1.html

Dec 20, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #2,603 of 3,180
Walnut AC came in last night and I was instantly happy with the sound - I had hoped it'd be an AO sound but with less mid-bass and upper mids (I've had magical listening experiences with the AO but had to always get past that part of the tuning). The AC is one of the few headphones I've bought blind, and I'm glad it sounded pretty much exactly what I was hoping for! Such a great compliment to Caldera.

Dec 20, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #2,604 of 3,180
Walnut AC came in last night and I was instantly happy with the sound
I was the same way, and it only gets better. I think my Olivewood ACs have hit their stride at 150 hours in. They sound insanely good now. Realistic midrange, thunderous bass when called for, pure treble, and surprisingly wide soundstage.

Pure magic with both my OTL amp and solid-state amp (though the OTL has a slight edge in some cases…).

Am listening to Alexi Murdoch’s “Time Without Consequence” and it’s just incredible.

Dec 20, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #2,605 of 3,180
Am listening to Alexi Murdoch’s “Time Without Consequence” and it’s just incredible.
That album is on my list to listen to on AC and Caldera!

Dec 20, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #2,606 of 3,180
That album is on my list to listen to on AC and Caldera!
Side note, but did Alexi ever record more songs? His initial album seemed like the second coming of Nick Drake, but then he didn’t publish more that I ever heard of.

Dec 20, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #2,607 of 3,180
Side note, but did Alexi ever record more songs? His initial album seemed like the second coming of Nick Drake, but then he didn’t publish more that I ever heard of.
He did - his second album, Towards the Sun is also very good. Not quite the magic of TWC I'd say, though. But worth some listens if you enjoy that sound. Should sound great on the AC particularly I'd think with the acoustic guitar sound/woody cup reverb match!

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #2,608 of 3,180
He did - his second album, Towards the Sun is also very good. Not quite the magic of TWC I'd say, though. But worth some listens if you enjoy that sound. Should sound great on the AC particularly I'd think with the acoustic guitar sound/woody cup reverb match!
Awesome, thank you! Found it and bought it. 👍👍

EDIT: Along with The Linda Lindas, Trentemøller, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Julia Jacklin, and The Lumineers. Hard to buy just ONE record! 😂

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #2,609 of 3,180
My Atrium closed was supposed to come today, but I don't think FedEx likes me.

IMG_2096.jpeg

One day more or less, what the heck :D

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #2,610 of 3,180
Nice collection! Yamaha is always my soft spot. I grew up with a pair of Yamaha NS153 speaker (belong to my parents).

I just checked the spec of Yamaha C-1, interestingly, the headphone impedance out is 47 Ohm, which is same like ZMF Homage!

https://audio-database.com/YAMAHA/amp/c-1.html

(Most vintage receivers would work well with high impedance dynamics for that reason)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back