ZMF Atrium Closed
Dec 27, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #2,626 of 3,180
Hello, after a tough internal debate inside my brain, I decided to get an AC (olive wood) and I was able to purchase it from ZMF November at the last minute. VC could have been a very good choice for me since I love the VO sound, but I wanted to try a different flavor. I was also thinking about the new Bokeh, which seems to have great reviews and feedback, but I wanted a TOTL and don't need something portable. And the upcoming CC (Caldera Closed) was another option to consider. They will surely be great closed-back headphones, but even more expensive and perhaps more difficult to drive it properly.

So, in the end, it was clear that AC was the best option, but the truth is that I was not completely convinced. But then I read these kinds of comments here...

Never thought I was going to find a closed back to replace the Radiance. I went through enormous lengths to get a Radiance after they got discontinued and figured I’d want them in my collection for life. As soon as I got AC in the house I A/B’d them and the Radiance never sounded worse.

I’ve been using the AC a lot more than Caldera and I got them both a week apart. I’m enamored with the AC. So much so that I sold the Radiance yesterday. Is what it is. This hobby’s crazy like that sometimes.

And totally agree on the AC is a special set

Looking ahead, I’m wondering if my VC is “at risk”. I’ve barely touched it since the AC arrived, and I don’t think it’s “new toy syndrome”… We’ll see though.

The Radiance was also my closed back prior to the AC. I was also going to buy the VC at Canjam but the AC was there and I took that home instead.

Walnut AC came in last night and I was instantly happy with the sound

I was the same way, and it only gets better. I think my Olivewood ACs have hit their stride at 150 hours in. They sound insanely good now. Realistic midrange, thunderous bass when called for, pure treble, and surprisingly wide soundstage.

I am very impressed by the sound signature!
This could be the best ZMF for my taste.

...and yeah, I pressed the red buttom. So, thanks for the unintentionally encouragement. My wallet is not so happy with you, but I hope it recovers

Past summer I heard a good statement from a buddy: "Money recovers, life does not". So, let's enjoy!

Happy New Year to all!

Dec 27, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #2,627 of 3,180
I got to log a few solid hours with the AC and BE2 solid lamb pads. When I got them I started with them on my Bokeh and so far have liked what they did sonically. But IMO the AC synergizes even more with them. So what does it sound like? Take the stock Caldera thin lamb pad, pull forward the mids a bit, the treble a bit more, and the bass down slightly, and there you have it, generally speaking. I need more time with this combo to give more in depth info, but for the most part you're gaining more top end and giving up a bit down low. But not as much as moving to the Caldera suede pads. Those are brighter and less bassy vs the BE2. What I want to do is spend some time comparing the BE2 to the Auteur solid suede, which are my current favorite pad on the AC. My initial thought is the BE2 is a touch brighter overall, but I need to confirm. But so far I can say without question I like what I hear with them. The stock leather pads were just a hair too dark, and the suede too bright. The Auteur lamb sits in the middle, as do these BE2. But where in the middle I still am not sure yet. Anyhow this has been a very promising and exciting experiment so far. Anyone else using BE2 solid lamb pads on their AC? Verdicts?

Dec 27, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #2,628 of 3,180
Has anyone had the opportunity to compare an Ash AC to either a Cherry or Olive set? Word on the street is the AC is the ZMF model that shows the most difference between either hard or soft wood cups. I’m hoping my Ash set I have on order, with its medium Janka rating (~1500), will be a nice middle ground between the hard and soft woods.

If no one has had the chance to compare, maybe @zach915m can chime in.

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #2,629 of 3,180
Has anyone had the opportunity to compare an Ash AC to either a Cherry or Olive set? Word on the street is the AC is the ZMF model that shows the most difference between either hard or soft wood cups. I’m hoping my Ash set I have on order, with its medium Janka rating (~1500), will be a nice middle ground between the hard and soft woods.

If no one has had the chance to compare, maybe @zach915m can chime in.
I can only compare ash to redwood burl, which has a janka around 500ish I believe. I do notice a difference but it's not huge to me. I compared them with the stock Caldera thin lamb pads on both for consistency. The ash is a bit faster and tighter sounding, with less decay and resonance. Its just cleaner all around vs the redwood. I still would suggest anyone unsure just buy based on visual preference. You'll get much larger differences rolling pads and amps. I do think the ash will be that goldilocks middle ground between the two extremes.

Dec 28, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #2,630 of 3,180
Like clockwork, I just got my shipping notification from ZMF! I'll be able to start 2024 as the proud owner of a beautiful Ash AC. I'll be sure to post pictures when it arrives.

Dec 28, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #2,632 of 3,180
Dec 28, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #2,633 of 3,180
I really considered the poop green, but after long deliberation ended up going with Natural Ash. I actually got a sneak peak of my set…and it’s amazing!

Dec 28, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #2,635 of 3,180
Hi, how much does your redwood AC weigh?

And are Redwood & Redheart the two lightest ZMF woods now since their introduction :thinking:
I believe Redwood and Black Limba are the lightest woods ZMF has used so far.

I'll weigh up my Redwood ACs shortly. Thought I posted it earlier in this thread, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Dec 28, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #2,636 of 3,180
Hi, how much does your redwood AC weigh?

And are Redwood & Redheart the two lightest ZMF woods now since their introduction :thinking:
My Redwood set (w/Aluminum chassis) weighs in at 504 grams.

Dec 28, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #2,638 of 3,180
Interesting thanks, think I recall someone else here recently saying theirs was 405 grams, which would be super light indeed!
405g for an AC? Don't think that's possible. Well, unless Zach's got some carbon fiber chassis prototypes. :wink:

Even with a mag chassis, the lowest would be around 450g??? Is that about right @zach915m?

Dec 28, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #2,640 of 3,180
405g for an AC? Don't think that's possible. Well, unless Zach's got some carbon fiber chassis prototypes. :wink:

Even with a mag chassis, the lowest would be around 450g??? Is that about right @zach915m?
Just weighed my Magnesium Redwood Burl. 495g.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back