ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
Oct 13, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #2,026 of 3,119
Ok, thanks, now I got it. :wink:
But yours looks very different to the one in your link.
Is the variaty in Mango that big?
Yes the link were the a different batch of mango in November 2020.

Mine has that nice glossy finish to make the wood pop. I absolutely love the looks.

Oct 13, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #2,027 of 3,119
I swapped my stabilized wood Atrium Closed for Redwood Burl variant and couldnt be happier with that move.

Like Renexx said the stabilized resin can look very different from what you see on the promotional pics, not by any ill intend, but simply by studio light being different from what you will see in the daylight or in low light conditions. My stabilized looked red on the promo pics and even on some pics I made myself - in person it was more of a purple with a slight hint of red.

Apart of that you should keep in mind that burly wood with resin or epoxy could lead to a very different finish that you might expect. While its not a craftsmanship issue but something that comes with burly wood that is "repaired" by resin, personally I enjoy smooth finish more. A stabilized unit can still be perfectly smooth its just not guranteed.

Another thing are the details. The stabilized units I saw can be incredibly detailed, with layers over layers of details creating a 3d depth effect. Sometimes you discover new things weeks later, its pretty mesmerizing sometimes. And its another thing that cant be seen on the pictures. But what cant be seen on the pictures are again things that you might dislike like for me some small golden sparkles in the wood. Yes it fully comes down to the personal taste.

Last thing is that natural wood feels rather different haptically than resin which can feel more plastically, especially in combination with colours like purple or blue.

I still think that Zachs stabilized units look great and some are absolutely stunning, but for me personally, if I go for a stabilized unit again, I would prefer to see it in person first. If you have the chance to buy your stabilized on some audio show it might be the right call and well worth the wait.

Here some of my potato pics of redwood burl next to stabilized unit I owned. The redwood unit was slightly custom since I wanted a very particular look and finish consitancy with it and Zach outdid himself on this one I think :) Dont have a good cam atm and the light is terrible. Depending on the lighting the unit can look bit darker red or more flame orange in direct light. There is zero brown touch to it like with some other redwood burl we seen here, its more red than anything else, its probably more vibrant red than my redheart Caldera.

IMG_5399.jpg

IMG_5351.jpg

IMG_5349.jpg

While I am at it, few words about my perception of the sound differences between hard stabilized wood Atrium Closed and the soft redwood burl.

Hard wood sounds a bit punchier, the bass is slightly more focused and maybe a bit better controlled, less laid back and bit more aggressive. Softer redwood burl sounds more romantic and laidback, the bass is more enveloping and for the lack of better world there is a bit more magic to it. The bass is not bloomy by any means, but there can be more of it in some recordings than you might want compared to hard wood. It still very punchy, the sub bass of Atrium closed is still to die for, but if you are into aggressive electronic music or lets say industrial, hard wood might provide you slightly more energy. Owning Caldera, the softwood AC works much better for me personally, there is simply more contrast to fast and snappy planar sound. All in all you cant go wrong with either, the differences are very subtle, I would advice to go with the wood you like more :)
That is certainly a gorgeous! Also thanks for the comparision between woods.

Oct 13, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #2,028 of 3,119
I'm having Atrium Closed and Verite Closed on loan at the moment. Damn these are good closed backs.
Atrium Closed definitely shares DNA with Atrium Open like someone said. Similar timbre, but AC goes deeper in the sub-bass. Intoxicating bass to say the least, and it doesn't bleed into the mids despite being a little bit more relaxed in the mids compared to AO. More sparkle up top too. Kind of a slight U-shape to the sound signature. Addicting.

I'm going to need more time to get used to VC's sound. It's very different. VC's mid-bass feels punchy, kind of like AO but it's faster/ tighter. Also more sparkle up top. They're very open sounding for closed backs. All 3 headphones are incredibly dynamic. I can definitely see a reason to own them all, and if I could I would.

Okay back to listening to them some more.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #2,029 of 3,119
I'm having Atrium Closed and Verite Closed on loan at the moment. Damn these are good closed backs.
Atrium Closed definitely shares DNA with Atrium Open like someone said. Similar timbre, but AC goes deeper in the sub-bass. Intoxicating bass to say the least, and it doesn't bleed into the mids despite being a little bit more relaxed in the mids compared to AO. More sparkle up top too. Kind of a slight U-shape to the sound signature. Addicting.

I'm going to need more time to get used to VC's sound. It's very different. VC's mid-bass feels punchy, kind of like AO but it's faster/ tighter. Also more sparkle up top. They're very open sounding for closed backs. All 3 headphones are incredibly dynamic. I can definitely see a reason to own them all, and if I could I would.

Okay back to listening to them some more.
When you spend more time with them curious if you hear any treble peaks or sibilance. I've heard they share some DNA with the Eikon/Auteur in that regard. I sold my Eikon because of that (as well as the weight).

Oct 13, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #2,030 of 3,119
PXL_20231012_125752659.MP.jpg
PXL_20230607_103324535.MP.jpg
PXL_20230607_102657138.MP.jpg

I had the choice between an aged cherry, stabilized and mango AC. For Stabilized wood the colours looked quite pale in comparison. Its useally more flashy in the advertised pictures in artificial lighting. Very happy with the super natural look of mango.
Italian olive was an amazing wood for the AC release. Very nicely figured wood.

I can't understand the hype for epoxy or stabilized sets at all. A few sets do really look cool, but those are gone in seconds. The chance to grab those is small.
How do you like the atrium paired with the Evo? I have the AO, but evo is on my short list.

Oct 13, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #2,031 of 3,119
How do you like the atrium paired with the Evo? I have the AO, but evo is on my short list.
All ZMFs pair wonderfully with the EVO or my AE. Tubes are the magic ingredient music really needs :)

Oct 13, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #2,032 of 3,119
All ZMFs pair wonderfully with the EVO or my AE. Tubes are the magic ingredient music really needs :)
My mantra: R2R/Ladder DACs + OTL tube amps + ZMF headphones = musical bliss.

I am so grateful for this forum guiding me to that combination as it’s perfect for my ears/tastes. :o2smile:

Oct 13, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #2,033 of 3,119
One observation I’ve made in the past two days since I rolled Telefunken G-73R (red type on label) tubes into my Woo WA2: Those tubes work much better with the VC’s Beryllium-coated drivers to my ears than the biocellulose drivers in my Eikon (and perhaps this is true with the Atrium models as well).

Somehow the bass is extending deeper/being more pronounced and effective than usual, mimicking the Eikon’s subbass mastery. This NEVER happens with other tubes… But British tubes (Mullard/Brimar) mesh REALLY well with the biocellulose drivers in the Eikon (and likely the Atriums too).

A bit random, I know, but parallel to your comparison observations, tube synergy also plays a part from what I’m hearing. 🤷‍♂️

Oct 13, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #2,035 of 3,119
When you spend more time with them curious if you hear any treble peaks or sibilance. I've heard they share some DNA with the Eikon/Auteur in that regard. I sold my Eikon because of that (as well as the weight).

I'm pretty sensitive to sibilance and treble peaks, but I think the treble is really well behaved. It's detailed and extended. There is some elevation in the 8KHz region that I can hear. Cymbals are occasionally a bit splashy to my ears with poorer recordings, but I've yet noticed any sibilance. But I'm also adjusting to them so take it with a grain of salt. They are really well balanced imo.

Oct 13, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #2,036 of 3,119
One observation I’ll add here as I’ve had an Eikon for a while: Some OTL tube amps/tube combos allow you to avoid any hint of sibilance or harshness in the ZMF biocellulose drivers that might be brought out by some SS amps.

Mullard and Brimar input tubes, in particular, leave the upper/upper-midrange detail in place without ANY glare or other shenanigans. I’m pretty treble-sensitive and have been very happy using the Eikon extensively with my OTL amp/British tubes…

My RSA Apache SS amp also keeps the Eikon from straying into sibilance territory; not sure is all of Ray’s amps do the same, but I’d not be surprised if that were the case.

Oct 14, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #2,037 of 3,119
One observation I’ll add here as I’ve had an Eikon for a while: Some OTL tube amps/tube combos allow you to avoid any hint of sibilance or harshness in the ZMF biocellulose drivers that might be brought out by some SS amps.

Mullard and Brimar input tubes, in particular, leave the upper/upper-midrange detail in place without ANY glare or other shenanigans. I’m pretty treble-sensitive and have been very happy using the Eikon extensively with my OTL amp/British tubes…

My RSA Apache SS amp also keeps the Eikon from straying into sibilance territory; not sure is all of Ray’s amps do the same, but I’d not be surprised if that were the case.

I've read the Auteur pads are also helpful with this. I plan on pairing it with the ZMF Pendant (not full OTL but similarish). Rather not have to do too much modification to tame the treble - I've always ditched those projects in the past haha.

Oct 14, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #2,038 of 3,119
A beautiful track that perfectly showcases what AC is capable off:

Oct 14, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #2,039 of 3,119

Check out the RSA B-52 as an OTL for the Atrium Closed 😊

Oct 14, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #2,040 of 3,119

Users who are viewing this thread

Back