ZMF Atrium Closed
Oct 21, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #2,056 of 3,180
A little meet (and discussion) this weekend:
What happen if there are 4x Atrium Closed, all with different woods?

The result: I stop to decide how the wood affect the sound based on janka hardness. I truly think that's not the only factor.

Redwood Burl (soft wood) actually sound closer to Italian Olive Wood (hard wood), while the regular Cherry Wood (soft wood) closer to Resin Stabilize (hard wood). Note that this result only with AC, not with another type of ZMF.

Cherry and Resin Stabilize are a bit more relax on top and upper mid energy, combine with fuller lower mid and midbass area. Redwood and Olive offer more bite/energy on treble/midrange, with a little leaner on lower mid and midbass area.

Some may prefer Caldera leather or Caldera suede pad based on preference, wood types, and of course synergy to their own set up.

Just sharing my finding, ymmv :)

Oct 21, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #2,057 of 3,180
Some may prefer Caldera leather or Caldera suede pad based on preference, wood types, and of course synergy to their own set up.

Definitely agree with this. It certainly helps explain why the suede pads had too much energy up top and were fatiguing with my Marblecake Walnut.

Oct 21, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #2,058 of 3,180

The result: I stop to decide how the wood affect the sound based on janka hardness. I truly think that's not the only factor.

Redwood Burl (soft wood) actually sound closer to Italian Olive Wood (hard wood), while the regular Cherry Wood (soft wood) closer to Resin Stabilize (hard wood). Note that this result only with AC, not with another type of ZMF.

Cherry and Resin Stabilize are a bit more relax on top and upper mid energy, combine with fuller lower mid and midbass area. Redwood and Olive offer more bite/energy on treble/midrange, with a little leaner on lower mid and midbass area.

Yeah that might be why I prefer regular leather over suede on my Olivewood. I am quite treble sensitive.

Oct 21, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #2,059 of 3,180

And yet one stabilised can still sound different from another I guess. I found my stabilised AC to sound more energetic and focused than my current Redwood Burl which is more relaxed and lush with more enveloping bass presence.

Great insights, janka wood hardness seem not to be the only factor.

Oct 21, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #2,060 of 3,180
And yet one stabilised can still sound different from another I guess. I found my stabilised AC to sound more energetic and focused than my current Redwood Burl which is more relaxed and lush with more enveloping bass presence.

Great insights, janka wood hardness seem not to be the only factor.

I’d imagine the porousness characteristics of the wood would be that second factor

Oct 21, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #2,061 of 3,180
I’m foolishly considering an Ash Atrium Closed or Caldera since I really have an affinity for this wood type. I have always liked it best in both sound and looks, and this has held true for me in multiple ZMF models. I’m still rocking my OG Auteur in Ash, and my first of 4 different Verite Closed sets was also Ash. Looking back, it was definitely my favorite one.

Zach put it best in an email to me a few years ago when I asked about how Ash compared to other wood types. He said:

“It’s a little harder than softer woods like Cherry and Monkeypod, but softer than super-dense woods. It has a great sound to it with medium decay, really just the right amount!”

I couldn’t agree more. It has always been the wood that strikes the perfect balance in my opinion. The fact that it looks so striking is just icing on the cake!

@zach915m In your experience, is there a noticeable difference between European Ash and Manchurian Ash? My two Ash ZMF sets were Manchurian Ash.

Oct 21, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #2,062 of 3,180
I’m foolishly considering an Ash Atrium Closed or Caldera since I really have an affinity for this wood type. I have always liked it best in both sound and looks, and this has held true for me in multiple ZMF models. I’m still rocking my OG Auteur in Ash, and my first of 4 different Verite Closed sets was also Ash. Looking back, it was definitely my favorite one.

Zach put it best in an email to me a few years ago when I asked about how Ash compared to other wood types. He said:

“It’s a little harder than softer woods like Cherry and Monkeypod, but softer than super-dense woods. It has a great sound to it with medium decay, really just the right amount!”

I couldn’t agree more. It has always been the wood that strikes the perfect balance in my opinion. The fact that it looks so striking is just icing on the cake!

@zach915m In your experience, is there a noticeable difference between European Ash and Manchurian Ash? My two Ash ZMF sets were Manchurian Ash.
The Purple Lava Ash is tempting me a lot. My Auteur OG is Ash too! Ash has a great sound.

Oct 21, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #2,063 of 3,180
The Purple Lava Ash is tempting me a lot. My Auteur OG is Ash too! Ash has a great sound.
Are there any pictures up of the upcoming Ash release? I couldn’t find any.

Oct 21, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #2,064 of 3,180
Oct 21, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #2,065 of 3,180
Yeah!
Here is Zachs instagram post showing the Lava (red) Ash:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CygUeP4Ol9k/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Should be releasing on 27th October.
@zach915m Will the Ash releases will be sold like the stabilized sets with pictures of individual models that can be seen before they’re purchased. I’m pretty picky, so I much prefer to see the grain before I commit to buying. It’s the reason I almost always buy used ZMFs. My red-stained Manchurian Ash VCs were the exception. They were a “rarity” that was sold during ZMF November 2020, so I got to see them before purchasing.

Oct 22, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #2,066 of 3,180
I’d imagine the porousness characteristics of the wood would be that second factor
Also, anyone who chops their own wood for fires will know, softwood can be dammed hard when the grain goes crazy around infections, sections where multiple branches shoot from. I still have a couple of rounds this year of softwood that are so dense with a tight crazy burl type pattern that a 3kg splitting axe just bounces off them leaving barely a mark. Designated as future chopping blocks :L3000:

Oct 22, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #2,067 of 3,180

I checked.
The Manchurian ash has 1000 janka and the European ash that is currently used has 1500 janka.
By the way, the Manchurian Ash comes from Asia and the European Ash is self-evident.
Zach probably has more detailed information about it since he bought it.
I think the European Ash will be excellent for Vo, Ao and Auteur possibly AC.
Less so for Vc which might still work for Vc fans who prefer softer wood, I have info that it reverberates well with soft wood.
For Caldera itself I can't judge how the driver reacts to the wood.
I have not yet studied the Caldera.
Others can probably tell you more about the effect of the softer wood.

Here is the link to the woods https://www.wood-database.com/tamo-ash/

https://www.wood-database.com/european-ash/

All information without guarantee, as the wood actually delivered can still differ.
It is possible that I am completely wrong.

Oct 22, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #2,068 of 3,180
IMG_1987.jpeg

Oct 22, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #2,069 of 3,180
Atrium open and new Atrium Closed. Closed is ebony and ivory? I don’t know but I’ve been crying all night looking at it. Looks way better than the photo.

Oct 22, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #2,070 of 3,180
Closed is ebony and ivory?

Yes looks like that is the wood (have a pair and this wood is indeed breathtakingly beautiful)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back