ZMF Atrium Closed
Oct 24, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #2,086 of 3,264
Ash is my favorite of all the woods Zach uses. It’s the perfect medium between soft and hard/stabilized woods. I think this wood will be incredible for the Atrium Closed. I also know from experience that Ash VCs are really superb. They were my personal favorites of the 4 wood varieties I’ve owned. I’ve had African Blackwood, Olive, Resin Stabilized, and Manchurian Ash.

I have never been able to bring myself to sell my Manchurian Ash OG Auteur because they look so dang amazing. It doesn’t hurt that they sound great as well. Tell me these aren’t a masterpiece:
IMG_3940.jpeg

Oct 24, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #2,087 of 3,264
Tell me these aren’t a masterpiece:
IMG_3940.jpeg
No way, can’t do that- those are gorgeous, and I’m not even a huge fan of that particular look! 😆

(I’m more of a natural grain and Burl guy)

Oct 25, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #2,088 of 3,264
Ash is my favorite of all the woods Zach uses. It’s the perfect medium between soft and hard/stabilized woods. I think this wood will be incredible for the Atrium Closed. I also know from experience that Ash VCs are really superb. They were my personal favorites of the 4 wood varieties I’ve owned. I’ve had African Blackwood, Olive, Resin Stabilized, and Manchurian Ash.

I have never been able to bring myself to sell my Manchurian Ash OG Auteur because they look so dang amazing. It doesn’t hurt that they sound great as well. Tell me these aren’t a masterpiece:
IMG_3940.jpeg

I think you need to put a NSFW filter on this post.

Oct 25, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #2,089 of 3,264
Ok... work has come to a stop today as I work through all the permutations of which Ash AC to get... At first I was sure it was a narrower grain but I'm not too sure?!?

I'm thinking it'll be purple.... no... sunburst.... or maybe natural?!? Ok, back to purple again. Right.... ok, what I do know is it'll be an Atrium Closed though :L3000:

Oct 25, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #2,090 of 3,264
Oct 25, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #2,091 of 3,264

I've wondered since seeing yours & @TylersEclectic's purple VC is they would ever do a bigger run of them. Lots of great pics the past couple days, but I think yours, especially with that original Auteur grill in black which I personally like more than the Classic version. These new ones all look so great and I'm glad I'm not buying right now because it would be impossible. If I did want colors, Purple and Red would be it!

Oct 26, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #2,092 of 3,264
So, I've read a lot (in this thread and reviews) and have narrowed it down to either a stock aged cherry or stabilized Atrium Closed. I'm torn between what sound characteristics coming from the wood I'd prefer. Any specific thoughts from those who have heard/own either or both? Thanks. It'd be nice to converse with others a bit before buying.

Oct 26, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #2,094 of 3,264
Oct 27, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #2,095 of 3,264
My Atrium Closed is in the assembly stage! Very exciting, although there is an exponential increase in anticipation as you get closer to getting them, with the hardest part when they're shipped and just a city or two away.

The first pair I've purchased sight unseen, but i've never been disappointed. It should be the brother of a pair of Verite closed recently received by a friend.

Oct 27, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #2,096 of 3,264
Does anyone like their AC with Caldera Thick Pads? I like the Caldera with thick pads, but I recently discovered I also like what they do to the treble on the AC. They seem to add a smoothness to female vocals and such. Feels like you're in a bigger more reverberant space.

Oct 27, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #2,097 of 3,264
Does anyone like their AC with Caldera Thick Pads? I like the Caldera with thick pads, but I recently discovered I also like what they do to the treble on the AC. They seem to add a smoothness to female vocals and such. Feels like you're in a bigger more reverberant space.
I personally don't enjoy (or recommend) any other Caldera Pads for the AC besides the stock Thin and Suede pads. But if they work for you, party on.

The solid Suede Auteur Pads as well as the solid Suede Eikon pads sound pretty good, although they do make the AC sound more like a traditional closed back.

Oct 27, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #2,098 of 3,264
I personally don't enjoy (or recommend) any other Caldera Pads for the AC besides the stock Thin and Suede pads. But if they work for you, party on.

The solid Suede Auteur Pads as well as the solid Suede Eikon pads sound pretty good, although they do make the AC sound more like a traditional closed back.
Yeah I had been listening to the Auteur for a while. The thick pads are sort of between those. They retain more of the Atrium Closed tuning.

Oct 27, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #2,100 of 3,264
How does the Atrium Closed compare to the Verite Closed, if anyone has had the opportunity to hear or have both?
They're very different but equally good depending on what you're looking for. Both have a similar soundstage. AC is more about the sub-bass and is slightly more V-shaped than VC to my ears. The mids on the AC seemed slightly more pulled back (but not recessed in any way). Guitars has more bite on the AC and there's more presence in the 3-5KHz region. Overall the AC has slightly more treble energy. I found the VC to be somewhat more laidback and less fatiguing for longer sessions. AC has a more aggressive sound. They seemed to be equally detailed but there was some extra "snap" from the VC (faster drivers?).

Two of the best closed backs I've had the pleasure of trying out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back