ZMF Atrium Closed
Oct 12, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #2,011 of 3,164
Yeah, but does Osmo have that special invasive petroleum smell that Renaissance has?
The Liberon Buffalo Bison wax is the same stuff and smells so good you might want to lick it.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 12, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #2,012 of 3,164
The Liberon Buffalo Bison wax is the same stuff and smells so good you might want to lick it.

I don't need that kind of temptation. I should probably stick with the nasty smelling Renaissance wax.

Oct 12, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #2,013 of 3,164
Hi guys - having owned the Auteur, Eikon, and Atticus - would you say the AC's are a combination of both the Atticus and Eikon? Eikon imo were just the right amount of detail as well as the Auteur but they could get bright around 5k whereas never had a single treble issue with the Atticus. The Atticus would blow your head off with the midbass (especially with the stock pads) but changing pads on it killed what made it special too much. I did love it's warmth and tonality (something I think the Aeolus nailed even moreso but took too much of a hit on the bass.) Do these strike a nice balance between midbass and subbass or does it lean too much in one direction? Thinking of pairing these with the Pendant.

Oct 12, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #2,014 of 3,164
Time to sell my Olivewood AC to try ro get a resin AC haha. If anybody is interested let me know. I can get pictures whenever I am home. I want a beautiful Purple!

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #2,015 of 3,164
Time to sell my Olivewood AC to try ro get a resin AC haha. If anybody is interested let me know. I can get pictures whenever I am home. I want a beautiful Purple!

Consider that for the AC the wood type makes an immediately audible difference. If you are very happy with what you're getting now...

And purple resin vs beautiful, organic Italian olivewood? Hm. I have my opinion about that. :)

Oct 13, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #2,016 of 3,164
Consider that for the AC the wood type makes an immediately audible difference. If you are very happy with what you're getting now...

And purple resin vs beautiful, organic Italian olivewood? Hm. I have my opinion about that. :)
Yeah true about the sound. I probably will wait anyways despite my post to see if anything interests me. The italian Olivewood is very pretty after all as you said.

Oct 13, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #2,017 of 3,164
PXL_20231012_125752659.MP.jpg

PXL_20230607_103324535.MP.jpg

PXL_20230607_102657138.MP.jpg

I had the choice between an aged cherry, stabilized and mango AC. For Stabilized wood the colours looked quite pale in comparison. Its useally more flashy in the advertised pictures in artificial lighting. Very happy with the super natural look of mango.
Italian olive was an amazing wood for the AC release. Very nicely figured wood.

I can't understand the hype for epoxy or stabilized sets at all. A few sets do really look cool, but those are gone in seconds. The chance to grab those is small.

Oct 13, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #2,018 of 3,164
Very nice, love the grain and colours. Is the mango likely to be the next limited edition of the AC?

Oct 13, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #2,019 of 3,164
Very nice, love the grain and colours. Is the mango likely to be the next limited edition of the AC?
No it's an unique AC. As far as I know only one set does exist.

Actually I didn't want to buy an AC because it's fairly similar sounding to the AO with Auteur pads. Well the unique mango wood changed my mind. It was a perfect fit for my collection.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #2,020 of 3,164
Nice! This is natrual Mango?

Oct 13, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #2,021 of 3,164
Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #2,022 of 3,164
Thanks, so yours is stabilized mango? :)

Oct 13, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #2,024 of 3,164
I swapped my stabilized wood Atrium Closed for Redwood Burl variant and couldnt be happier with that move.

Like Renexx said the stabilized resin can look very different from what you see on the promotional pics, not by any ill intend, but simply by studio light being different from what you will see in the daylight or in low light conditions. My stabilized looked red on the promo pics and even on some pics I made myself - in person it was more of a purple with a slight hint of red.

Apart of that you should keep in mind that burly wood with resin or epoxy could lead to a very different finish that you might expect. While its not a craftsmanship issue but something that comes with burly wood that is "repaired" by resin, personally I enjoy smooth finish more. A stabilized unit can still be perfectly smooth its just not guranteed.

Another thing are the details. The stabilized units I saw can be incredibly detailed, with layers over layers of details creating a 3d depth effect. Sometimes you discover new things weeks later, its pretty mesmerizing sometimes. And its another thing that cant be seen on the pictures. But what cant be seen on the pictures are again things that you might dislike like for me some small golden sparkles in the wood. Yes it fully comes down to the personal taste.

Last thing is that natural wood feels rather different haptically than resin which can feel more plastically, especially in combination with colours like purple or blue.

I still think that Zachs stabilized units look great and some are absolutely stunning, but for me personally, if I go for a stabilized unit again, I would prefer to see it in person first. If you have the chance to buy your stabilized on some audio show it might be the right call and well worth the wait.

Here some of my potato pics of redwood burl next to stabilized unit I owned. The redwood unit was slightly custom since I wanted a very particular look and finish consitancy with it and Zach outdid himself on this one I think :) Dont have a good cam atm and the light is terrible. Depending on the lighting the unit can look bit darker red or more flame orange in direct light. There is zero brown touch to it like with some other redwood burl we seen here, its more red than anything else, its probably more vibrant red than my redheart Caldera.

IMG_5399.jpg

IMG_5351.jpg

IMG_5349.jpg

While I am at it, few words about my perception of the sound differences between hard stabilized wood Atrium Closed and the soft redwood burl.

Hard wood sounds a bit punchier, the bass is slightly more focused and maybe a bit better controlled, less laid back and bit more aggressive. Softer redwood burl sounds more romantic and laidback, the bass is more enveloping and for the lack of better world there is a bit more magic to it. The bass is not bloomy by any means, but there can be more of it in some recordings than you might want compared to hard wood. It still very punchy, the sub bass of Atrium closed is still to die for, but if you are into aggressive electronic music or lets say industrial, hard wood might provide you slightly more energy. Owning Caldera, the softwood AC works much better for me personally, there is simply more contrast to fast and snappy planar sound. All in all you cant go wrong with either, the differences are very subtle, I would advice to go with the wood you like more :)

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #2,025 of 3,164
No it's natural mango wood.
Ok, thanks, now I got it. :wink:
But yours looks very different to the one in your link.
Is the variaty in Mango that big?

EdIt: No, I still did not get it.
I hope now. In your first picture is the Mango and in the second its the stabilized aged Cherry. :metal:
Sometimes I need a little longer...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back