ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
Jun 2, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #1,231 of 3,116
The headphone will be somewhere around 1k, slightly over or under, closed, and isn't going to fold up, but will lay flat and be more "semi portable" with I am cups and 3.5mm jack connectors and will be easy to drive at 80 ohms and over 100 dB/mW. I do hope to have some at Canjams, but it's tight with canjam chicago to have a sample, certainly none for sale until later in the year.
I am listening to my beautiful ZMF Verite Closed today and chilling to some beautiful string quartet music - when - the neighbor started mowing the lawn for 2 hours straight. I tried again. A loud motorcycle goes by. A jet overhead. A truck clanging down the road. A prop plane trailing off for 5 mintues. Dogs barking.

Question - Could you develop some sort of audiophile version of noise cancelling ? A sacrilege I know but noise pollution will only get worse as the years go on and as our hearing gets worse.

Thoughts oh brilliant Zach ! ??

Jun 2, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #1,232 of 3,116
Quick music recommendation for a Friday night is the Fleetwood Mac - Dreams cover by Scary Pockets. I thought I loved this rendition on my cherry Atticus, and wow - the Atrium Closed really brings it to another level by making the bass guitar an equal member of the band where you can make out all the notes he's playing. The female lead is still front and center, vocals aren't recessed at all, you just have this wonderful thumpy, rumbl-y presence in terms of the bass that I've never heard before on any other headphones.

And the imaging and stage! Wow. This doesn't sound like a song that's meant to be tickling your ears, and yet the singer is in front of you, instruments just to the sides, echoes and backup singers fading further left and right, bass rumbling all throughout... It's just a sublime, fun experience.

Jun 2, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #1,233 of 3,116
Quick music recommendation for a Friday night is the Fleetwood Mac - Dreams cover by Scary Pockets. I thought I loved this rendition on my cherry Atticus, and wow - the Atrium Closed really brings it to another level by making the bass guitar an equal member of the band where you can make out all the notes he's playing. The female lead is still front and center, vocals aren't recessed at all, you just have this wonderful thumpy, rumbl-y presence in terms of the bass that I've never heard before on any other headphones.

And the imaging and stage! Wow. This doesn't sound like a song that's meant to be tickling your ears, and yet the singer is in front of you, instruments just to the sides, echoes and backup singers fading further left and right, bass rumbling all throughout... It's just a sublime, fun experience.

That sounded incredible on AO. Thanks for sharing! Got to love Fleetwood Mac and good covers like this.

Jun 3, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #1,235 of 3,116
left out quote, oops!

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #1,236 of 3,116
I am listening to my beautiful ZMF Verite Closed today and chilling to some beautiful string quartet music - when - the neighbor started mowing the lawn for 2 hours straight. I tried again. A loud motorcycle goes by. A jet overhead. A truck clanging down the road. A prop plane trailing off for 5 mintues. Dogs barking.

Question - Could you develop some sort of audiophile version of noise cancelling ? A sacrilege I know but noise pollution will only get worse as the years go on and as our hearing gets worse.

Thoughts oh brilliant Zach ! ??

Would be a shame to put noise cancelling on a ZMF headphone without making it wireless too!

Jun 3, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #1,237 of 3,116

I love Scary Pockets! Welp, I know what I’m about to listen to once I’m done making my espresso.

Jun 3, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #1,238 of 3,116
The headphone will be somewhere around 1k, slightly over or under, closed, and isn't going to fold up, but will lay flat and be more "semi portable" with I am cups and 3.5mm jack connectors and will be easy to drive at 80 ohms and over 100 dB/mW. I do hope to have some at Canjams, but it's tight with canjam chicago to have a sample, certainly none for sale until later in the year.
Thanks for the teaser!

Excuse my ignorance but what are "I am cups". Google wasn't very helpful.

And last question - will it include ADS? or too ambitious?

Jun 3, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #1,239 of 3,116

Another great cover by Scary Pockets:

IMG_6039.jpeg

Jun 3, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #1,240 of 3,116
Jun 3, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #1,241 of 3,116
Thanks for the teaser!

Excuse my ignorance but what are "I am cups". Google wasn't very helpful.

And last question - will it include ADS? or too ambitious?
Whoops, meant oval cups!

And I do believe it will have a version of Ads, which is kind of the beauty of ads, is that it's not super complicated, but it is super malleable and adaptable to different headphone environments because the system isn't locked to a certain material or exact form.

As far as noise canceling, it won't be in this headphone, and I would love to make a noise canceling headphone that's meant less for audiophile use and as more of a consumer product, but the logistics start to bring in eyes and all the like from much much larger companies and all the hassle that comes with it. Who knows though maybe one day but it's not on the docket right now.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 3, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #1,242 of 3,116
Whoops, meant oval cups!

And I do believe it will have a version of Ads, which is kind of the beauty of ads, is that it's not super complicated, but it is super malleable and adaptable to different headphone environments because the system isn't locked to a certain material or exact form.

As far as noise canceling, it won't be in this headphone, and I would love to make a noise canceling headphone that's meant less for audiophile use and as more of a consumer product, but the logistics start to bring in eyes and all the like from much much larger companies and all the hassle that comes with it. Who knows though maybe one day but it's not on the docket right now.
Fly low, beat the radar. You're fine as you are.

Jun 3, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #1,243 of 3,116
Jun 3, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #1,245 of 3,116
Hello, some days without reading this thread and a lot of things to read

I have to say I love all your music recommendations. Not listen to all yet but I will. I think HD music streaming is on the best inventions of the 21st century, everything is there!

My music plan for this Saturday late night is simple/classic but I’d like to share

First some songs to start with good vibra: September (Earth, Wind & Fire) or Days like this (great Van Morrison)

Then some classic Blues

1685839046035.png

After that, a little of good Jazz

1685839114116.png
1685839137978.png

And If there is enough time, some Bach’s Brandenburg Concertos (Academy of St Martin in the Fields). Feeling the grandiosity of that wonderful place where it was recorded. Concerto n.3 – Movement 3 (Allegro) is just great

1685839170730.png

Good listening to all :darthsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back