ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
Jun 4, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #1,246 of 3,122
Anyone who is having trouble enjoying their Atriums can just send them over to me and I will make sure to enjoy them on their behalf :beyersmile:

Jun 4, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #1,247 of 3,122
I will be going on a work trip in a couple of weeks and I’m thinking of bringing either the AC or Elites so I got some music while waiting in an airport lounge and before sleeping in my hotel room. I am thinking about getting a new DAP / portable dac/amp for them. I was wondering what the AC friends have tried and liked as a portable solution.

So far on my mind is a Woo Wa8 but that crap is heavy and might look suspect in airport security 😝

Jun 4, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #1,248 of 3,122
Whoops, meant oval cups!

And I do believe it will have a version of Ads, which is kind of the beauty of ads, is that it's not super complicated, but it is super malleable and adaptable to different headphone environments because the system isn't locked to a certain material or exact form.

As far as noise canceling, it won't be in this headphone, and I would love to make a noise canceling headphone that's meant less for audiophile use and as more of a consumer product, but the logistics start to bring in eyes and all the like from much much larger companies and all the hassle that comes with it. Who knows though maybe one day but it's not on the docket right now.
So much on the plate already what with the upcoming closed back release, multiple canjams, olive wood, and one particular person who's never forgotten about the t50rp cups! :)

I'm counting down the days; less than 90 before a new zmf headphone (atrium closed?) joins the stable.

Jun 4, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #1,249 of 3,122
I will be going on a work trip in a couple of weeks and I’m thinking of bringing either the AC or Elites so I got some music while waiting in an airport lounge and before sleeping in my hotel room. I am thinking about getting a new DAP / portable dac/amp for them. I was wondering what the AC friends have tried and liked as a portable solution.

So far on my mind is a Woo Wa8 but that crap is heavy and might look suspect in airport security 😝

I had the VC and the Elite at the same time at one point and was using them with an iBasso D300 Max and both sounded excellent. I was using a balanced cable as well.

Jun 4, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #1,250 of 3,122

Portable solution? Try the iFi Diablo. Plenty of power, great synergy with ZMF headphones, bug free, plug and play, and lots of connection options right in the box.

Jun 4, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #1,251 of 3,122
I had the VC and the Elite at the same time at one point and was using them with an iBasso D300 Max and both sounded excellent. I was using a balanced cable as well.

Back then I was mostly listening to the Elite, and in listening to that with the D300 max, I actually questioned all the money I spent on desktop components because they weren’t light years better than that combo.

Jun 4, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #1,252 of 3,122

The Ibasso DX300 pairs very well with my Atticus and Atrium. I was surprised just how good this combo is. Discontinued, but they still show up in the classifieds. DX320 is supposed to be even better, but I haven’t had a chance to try one.

Jun 4, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #1,253 of 3,122
Has anyone used their zmfs with the high end Sony DAPs like the AM2?

Jun 4, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #1,254 of 3,122
Has anyone used their zmfs with the high end Sony DAPs like the AM2?
I use my VC and Eikon with my WM1A occasionally and while it isn’t comparable to using them with my OTL tube amp, they sound quite good and the Sony’s amp does not struggle with powering them.

It is worth noting that I have the Mr Walkman custom firmware installed, which allows the WM1A to have higher gain.

Jun 5, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #1,256 of 3,122
I discuss this here.

Seems like the Atrium closed is a home run.
I'd love to get your opinion on a Meze Liric for comparison, if someone among your friends has one that he could lend you

Jun 5, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #1,257 of 3,122
As far as noise canceling, it won't be in this headphone, and I would love to make a noise canceling headphone that's meant less for audiophile use and as more of a consumer product, but the logistics start to bring in eyes and all the like from much much larger companies and all the hassle that comes with it. Who knows though maybe one day but it's not on the docket right now.
What is in the docket after the $1k headphones and the Caldera Closed?

Jun 5, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #1,258 of 3,122
Sorry, I couldn't resist. Not directed at you at all, just applicable to the situation since no one has released more headphone models than ZMF in the past two years. :)

1.gif

Jun 5, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #1,259 of 3,122

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Not directed at you at all, just applicable to the situation since no one has released more headphone models than ZMF in the past two years. :)

Hahah yes we are actually trying to perfect the idea of FOMO.

And crap - what do they call that - a five year plan...!? :triportsad:

In all seriousness - coming out with the "portable model has been such an undertaking because of logistics to make sure we can make enough of them, the new form factor, new chassis, materials and reliability, SOP and all that stuff (including a new space we are rehabbing for production) that while I have a lot of ideas and things going for the next 5-8 years - I don't know what exactly and when it will come.

One thing I can share - is that we are working on bringing more amplifiers and source gear to pair with our headphones to market like the upcoming JDS/ZMF amp, as well as exploring other headphones within the new form factor so that there will be ZMF options that are not only less expensive that you'll want to own, but also will be a bit easier to drive from an impedance perspective.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 5, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #1,260 of 3,122
I, for one, vote for ZMF wireless IEM's to compete with AIrPod pros :wink:. Need a more audiophile-based IEM for my workouts lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back