Zishan Z4 - DAP with Dual DAC ES9038Q2M | Dual AMP OPA1622 | USB 32-bit + DSD | Bluetooth LDAC 24-bit | Balanced 2,5/4,4 | LO/PO 3,5mm
Apr 2, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #541 of 620
Actually I already have the R3, though it's out of commission right now, I have to wait for a new battery pack from China.

My question is specifically if the far more powerful Zishan Z4 can match these underpowered entry level daps in sound quality. (let's say using 16ohm dynamic IEMs)
Yes it will, but without gain control can be dangerous but still possible :wink:
Safety fist!

I dont have any IEMs with 16ohms i cant tall if there are some hiss noise from electronic.

May 16, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #543 of 620
With much respect to everyone on here, I work extensively on vacuum tube amps (Scott, Fisher, Dynaco, etc)., and I would highly counsel against getting a hybrid tube amp (vacuum tube and transistor amp combo). One of the reasons for this is that the sound quality of a tube amp is as much due to the downstream transformers (interstage and output) as the tubes themselves. In hybrid amps, the transformers are done away with and output is routed through transistors. Since the sound is colored by that final step, might as well go with a high quality all steady state amp and not have to worry about switching out tubes when they invariably die.

May 16, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #544 of 620
With much respect to everyone on here, I work extensively on vacuum tube amps (Scott, Fisher, Dynaco, etc)., and I would highly counsel against getting a hybrid tube amp (vacuum tube and transistor amp combo). One of the reasons for this is that the sound quality of a tube amp is as much due to the downstream transformers (interstage and output) as the tubes themselves. In hybrid amps, the transformers are done away with and output is routed through transistors. Since the sound is colored by that final step, might as well go with a high quality all steady state amp and not have to worry about switching out tubes when they invariably die.
Hello, thank You for post.
Yes, You have right - all portable tube amps are hybrid and this is not the best way to have tube. All devices from cheapest and smallest AD3 for ~60$ to most expensive for thousent of dollars are probably the same in topology.
Tube working as a buffer in very simple way it's creating 3rd harmonics and some white nosie so just do the job, "it's ain't much, but honest work".

Last edited:
May 19, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #545 of 620
I put my Z4 in shuffle mode, accidentally.
How to do to change and go back in normal mode ?

Last edited:
May 19, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #546 of 620
I put my Z4 in shuffle mode, accidentally.
How to do to change and go back in normal mode ?
tap up button -> tap right button until you see "Floder"

May 20, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #547 of 620
May 20, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #548 of 620
...and I would say more that kbear believe pair (very) well with the Z4 :wink:

May 26, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #550 of 620
Jun 2, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #552 of 620
As Said in an other topic, I tried my FD7 with zishan Z4 and I must say they pair well, in balanced mode ... Good details and dynamic.

I also tried the Z4 with the kbear beleive and again it pair well, in an other direction :wink:
A nice V sound, with good dynamic. A fun listening.

Jun 11, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #553 of 620
The Z4 has arrived and I am happy with the linearity of the frequency response of the SE and Balanced outputs. And also with the output impedance.

SE Phone Output max voltage without clipping (33 Ohms)

4.4mm Output max voltage without clipping (33 Ohms)

For balance it doesn't sound bad at all, in my first impressions. It is perhaps a bit warm, with a slight boost in the low frequencies.
The operation of the buttons is really bad, they are hard and not very responsive.
I didn't find that the channels sound switched in SE or 4.4mm, the left side sounds on the left channel and the right on the right.
Hi cqtek

I would like to ask what is ideal value of output impedance?
My understand is close to 0.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #554 of 620
Jun 11, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #555 of 620
I just received my Z4 and I must say I am happy. But I most note I am weird. I am very much into the diy aspect of this device and its predecessors, a dsd and a z1 are still en route from ebay. Frankly I am gravitating more towards the z1 handcrafted aesthetics than the want-to-play-with-the-big-bois z4. I know, I mentioned I am weird. I am typing this on a 10yr old beefed-out thinkpad x230, you could say I am a tinkerer, firmly in the right-to-repair camp. I have thoughts I keep to myself when people lament they want a device to "just work", ignoring the vendor lock-ins and data collection. I digress.

As much as the ethics of this device appeals to me, there are a few moans and niggles, the ones I cannot remedy myself:
  1. It is not open source, I would love to have a stab at the UI; FLoder ?? Come on. Printing my own case I can reverse engineer, but a 3d model of the original would speed it up tremendously.
  2. It is choking on some files, I am thinking it is a memory issue, it chokes/skips on big (long) hires flacs. Coltrane's "My Favorite things" (11 min) is skipping, bummer. I can see the cpu spiking to 100% Single file 600+ mb audiobooks don't start. Yes, eq is off, display is album art, so the cpu only has to deal with decoding.
Sound wise I am an erstwhile tape walkman user, so consistent playback speed already amazes me, the detail I can hear is astounding. Some tracks reveal entire previously unheard instruments. Listening to music is really a meditation in this regard, you go all in.

If anyone has contact with ZiShan devs, please try to stress that open-sourcing the design and the software is a winning move. There is a thriving community of DIY mechanical keyboards out there where the design is open sourced and they offer pre-built sets. Google Atreus keyboard for instance, you can buy one complete, or build it yourselves from parts ordered, or build it completely from the ground up.
I would gladly pay $50 for a prebuilt print plate and source the screen and case myself for instance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back